Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Beginner

Default Sailing on Destiny April 06 looking for some good excursions

Hi I am cruising on the destiny in april and am looking for some good suggestions on excurisions. We are open to do anything that includes some actitivy( no historic lectures or anything like that)
Or if anyone knows of any nice spots to go to that may not be a carnival excursions that would be great to...
Thanks

Apr16-23
Carnival Destiny
S Carrb.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM
First Mate

Default Suggestions, offer for more info if needed

We have sailed the Destiny twice (great ship) and would recommend highly Nautilus snorkeling. We are beginner snorkelers, and had a ten year old at the time--they took very good care of us, snorkeled two locations--one near a reef if I recall, and another at "Christmas cove" I believe where Christopher Columbus spent his first Christmas, this also had a small white sand beach to rest on if you did not want to snorkel second site. They also had snack & water, plus caribbean Jimmy buffet tunes on the way back.

Second time--we booked on our own (carnival offers sometimes) a tour called the Thriller. A high speed boat that does wild turns and spins for about 40 min. Honestly fun first 10 min- (REALLY wish I had worn pool goggles) but after a while I got sick of being sprayed with salt water, drenched and no where to wipe salt water out of eyes. Sunglasses are very useless unless you have tight leashes on them. Near the end of tour, guide cut thru a wake and a HUGE wave smacked all of us. We were drenched. All of our belongings by the way were securely stored and watched by tour operator partner at the starting point. So great thrill ride, but must enjoy getting wet (and a bit cold--you know the air cools ya, and only way to warm up is the warm water again.) Great tour operator but for us, one time event only.

At the pier we quickly shopped for a snorkel mask for son, and I found in the window my best purchase, a floating for at the beach. The rim inflated and middle was net like and stored upon itself. I used it all week. In the PM we hired a local taxi to take us to Saphire Beach--best beach of our trip. Nice shade area, chairs (noone ever asked for money), and good snorkeling near shore my son said. Taxis are readily available to take you back. (The taxi driver told us next time hire a taxi to catch the ferry we drove by and go to St. John's,). I'd easily go shopping near cruise ship and hit the beach here, and if time catch the tram ride up for the picturesque view--it is only a few blocks from ship, right by shopping area. The second time we did not bother to go into downtown to shop, so many stores are the same and ran out of time.

Dominica: there is shopping at port, more than cruise ship describes.
The Wacky Roller trip looked kinda fun.

Aruba--we did not get to this time due to hurricaine Emily changing our path. I would recommend renting a car. That way you can get to Palm Island Beach (drop off I think was "Aruba Grand Beach Resort), the Natural Bridge and shopping at will. There is a lot of shopping here and all with in walking distance. The shopping is also near famous bars that many people came swaying back from.

So much I could type--PM me, or post back and I can contact you if you have more questions. We know so much about logistics of San Juan, ship etc. - I posted some of our photos in gallery--do search "Destiny" -I am Suzy. http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2574
Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:00 PM
First Mate

i can give you some answers after our cruise do you know what cabin nr. you have i can take a picture
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Our cabin is on the Lido deck and i think its 9157. That would be awesome to see a picture of it. When is your cruise? Please keep me posted of excusions you hear about. Thanks
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're checking out the BOB Underwater Adventure in St. Thomas (unederwater motor scooters) and Champagne Bay in Dominica. I've done Snuba is Thomas on a previous trip.

I'll try and remember to post back after our trip - in two weeks!!!!
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM
First Mate

our cruise is 12 march 2006 our cabin is a mini suite
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to atlastalady
Default ARUBA

I cruised the Destiny last year. My favorite excursion of all was the sunset cruise on Aruba. It was awesome. You cruise the shore in a catamaran, they have all you want to drink, (I liked the green iguana) when you turn to go back toward your ship don't take your eyes off the sun! It sinks fast and is one of the most beautiful things I have seen. I highly recommend it.
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Check out this awesome video made about "Seven days on the Destiny".

http://www.gatorclaw.com/sevendays
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Beginner

Default excursions

We cruised the Destiny in 2004 best trip ever just got back from cruise on Elation also very good. Our best excursion was in Dominica "Wacky Rollers" excellent, open air jeep ride into rain forest. In Barbados took catamaran sail and snorkel , very good. DePalm Island in Aruba was also very nice, great snoekeling and buffet lunch and great rum punch. have fun
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I took the Ariel tram tour through the rainforest in Dominica. Absolutely worth it. The ride up there is an adventure in itself. HAHAHA I took no other "organized" tours through the ship. Most tours it was just as easy to take a cab to where you wanted to go and see. We went on the Jolly Pirates in Aruba and it was great. The snorkling was wonderful as well as lunch and the crew was so much fun.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011