Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
First Mate

Default Bringing Wine on Board???

I read somewhere that Carnival will let you bring one bottle of wine aboard. Is this true?? Also, going to port night before and thinking of buying my pepsi and bringing it on. Will they let you??? Thanks!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. However, if celebrating a special occasion while on board, one bottle of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages onboard the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

This is from the carnival FAQ
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You won't have any problems bring wine, champagne or soft drinks aboard, unless they roll the wine cask up the gangway before it's bottled or a full coke truck pulls up to the pier
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Thanks KuKi! I'll cancel the pepsi truck and my wine order!! I will just bring a few on board!! Thanks for all the info and help!!!!! Really appreciate it!!!!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey y'all! This is my first post on this board. I'm not new to cruising, and I absolutely love it. Looking for a place to chat about my favorite vacation time.

Since Carnival allows this, I always take a 6-pk. of the 16-oz. plastic-bottled Cokes on board at embarkation. If I need more, I buy them at one of the ports. I also take 1-2 bottles of wine. I believe the latest regulations are that one bottle of wine/champagne can be brought onto the ship, at embarkation only, per passenger.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Beginner

Default wine onboard

I will be sailing on the Mircle in May and was wondering how they check if you are brining wine on>
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
First Mate

I just bring wine in my carry-on bag. One of two things will happen. They will pull it from your bag and you sign a ticket for it that you will pay the corkage fee. The other option is that they say nothing and you bring the wine to your head waiter who will label it for you, chill it and open at your request for the corkage fee.
I actually prefer that they pull it from my bag because that way I don't have to wag it around as it goes straight to the galley until I request it.
I usually bring wine that was given to me which means that my only investment in it is the corkage fee.
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM
First Mate

i have already ordered wine for dinner on the carnival gift site ( it is paid off on the credit card by the time i get on board ). but i am going to have a 12 pack of pepsi and 2 bottles of wine in my carry on also. i still spend my share at the bars. i just like to have a nice glass of wine or soda in the cabin before dinner or at night before bed. it sure helps cut down on the sign and sail card bill.
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Passenger

I have always put a box of wine either in my checked luggage or my carry on. It's never been taken away. I then set it on the dresser and leave it out the whole trip.

Black Box Wine is pretty good - much better than most boxes.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Beginner

Default Bringing Wine onboard

We sailed on the Sensation last year and brought 2 "Cubes"of wine (Target's boxed wine) in our luggage. It was nice to have a glass of wine while we were getting ready for dinner.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Bringing Wine onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellicork
We sailed on the Sensation last year and brought 2 "Cubes"of wine (Target's boxed wine) in our luggage. It was nice to have a glass of wine while we were getting ready for dinner.
this is what i want to do also. was it in your carry on for the flight or checked luggage. how did you pack it? with bubble wrap or something else around it? and please can you tell us if the box got crushed in any way from being thrown around if it was checked. i already have several bottles of wine ordered for dinner through the gifts dept. but i also want some in the cabin and this is a real money saver. thanks alot.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Default Bringing Wine Onboard

We packed the cubes in our checked luggage (suitecase), wrapped up in plastic bag and surrounded by clothes. We had no problems whatsoever.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:29 AM
First Mate

thanks for the packing tip. that is how i will do it also. cant wait to get onboard and have a great week .
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:02 AM
First Mate

why are you all looking for trciks you can buy your drinks on board you will have great cruise then also buy the drinks on the ships all of you have a great cruise.
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie
why are you all looking for trciks you can buy your drinks on board you will have great cruise then also buy the drinks on the ships all of you have a great cruise.
we are allowed to bring a certain amount of wine onboard ( many have taken boxes of wine and carnival has not put a stop too it yet) so i do not consider this a ''' trick '''.

i spend plenty of money at dinner for my wine to enjoy with my meal and on drinks of the day during leasure time. if i choose to save a few dollars by having my own wine in the cabin then i have more money to spend in the gift shop or on excursions. some passengers must make sacrifices to be able to cruise and this is one way for me. i know you are trying to be helpful, but some of us must scrimp and save to enjoy this wonderful experience. bringing my own wine is one for me. have a great day
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

the key is everything in moderation. Carnival will have no problem with each of you bringing aboard 1 maybe 2 bottles of wine, it all depends upon the security person. As Kuki stated if you tried to bring aboard the wine cellar and the soda truck you will have a problem.
I will not fly my wine, we fly down the day before, go to the package store, pick up a couple bottles and put them in the carry-on duffle.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Actually the policy says that passengers can bring "fine wine or champagne" at the embarcation port. The "one bottle of wine" is merely a legend. I think four bottles is the most I have ever broiught. (its heavy). If you have it in carry on the x ray will see the bottles and they will likely check to make sure it is wine and not hard liquor. It kind of a "no no" to bring it to the dining room where they do have this "corkage" fee. The wine list isn't too bad anyway. I think Carnival is the most or close to the most liberal about bringing booze on the ship and I have seen people who bring whole bars of bottles in checked bags. I dont bother with that and it seems like it would be embarrassing to get "busted" for that. It is really not against the law, but it is against corporate policy....maybe someday I will bring some booze in a checked bag just for the purpose of violating a freaking "corporate policy". As far as carry on they also seem to not really care about a couple of travel flasks of booze. The trouble is that if they do check to make sure the bottles you have are wine, you lose your place in line.......oh well. John NM
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gemoets
Actually the policy says that passengers can bring "fine wine or champagne" at the embarcation port. The "one bottle of wine" is merely a legend. I think four bottles is the most I have ever broiught. (its heavy). If you have it in carry on the x ray will see the bottles and they will likely check to make sure it is wine and not hard liquor. It kind of a "no no" to bring it to the dining room where they do have this "corkage" fee. The wine list isn't too bad anyway. I think Carnival is the most or close to the most liberal about bringing booze on the ship and I have seen people who bring whole bars of bottles in checked bags. I dont bother with that and it seems like it would be embarrassing to get "busted" for that. It is really not against the law, but it is against corporate policy....maybe someday I will bring some booze in a checked bag just for the purpose of violating a freaking "corporate policy". As far as carry on they also seem to not really care about a couple of travel flasks of booze. The trouble is that if they do check to make sure the bottles you have are wine, you lose your place in line.......oh well. John NM
Well, we are going to disagree on symantics here. It is not a "legend" regarding one bottle being allowed. It is a new policy put into place since 1/1/06 and I have my cruise docs right in front of me and they state, "one bottle of fine wine per passenger."

Now, since this is new policy and not everybody has the new docs it is not being enforced too heavily. My belief is that eventually it will be more strongly enforced. I'll let you know what I see first hand in about 3 days.l

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
First Mate

roscoe

please do keep us posted on what you see or find out. as i said, i have already ordered wine from the gift services for dinner and i plan on sipping on drinks at the pool and in the lounges. taking 1 box of wine for the cabin is not breaking the rules i hope. if i find out different i will not do it. but it does save some money for other things .
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
Passenger

thanks Roscoe.....my last documents are from nov 2005......so they really did sneak in that ONE bottle into the document. hmmmmm bummer. Just for frivolities sake I wonder if they have employed some professional cork sniffers to figure out if its "fine wine" or not lol. keep us posted.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:20 AM
First Mate

jhon how is it with you are you going on board of the carnival destiny i sea you then