Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Default how does Carnival deal with injury claims

Just got back from the Conquest which sailed on May 14th. We had a great time until Thursday. We were out on the suite's balcony when our room steward knocked on the door with our laundry. My wife ran to the door and slipped and hit here knee very hard on the door frame to the sitting area. The steward and I came to her assistance and that when I noticed that there was water on the floor. (the floors are wooden in the suites). Apparently the front sprinkler malfunctioned and was dripping onto the floor. The back sprinkler did not have this problem. We went to the ship's doctor and were met by one of the security officers. The main concern of the doctor was filling out the accident report (and the security officer investigated the incident and verbally told us it was the ship's fault). Dealing with the pursor's desk was next to impossible. The offered us free medical treatmet on the ship and promised records, etc. They would not change our room (the ship was full) and they contradicted what the room steward told us (He said there were several sprinkler malfunctions on various decks at the same time - the 1st pursor denied this). My wife saw and orthopedic surgeon on the Monday after we got back who confirmed that she had a bad injury that go either get better in a month's time or get much worse and require surgery. I assume that Carnival's liability to similar to what would happen in the US. 1. They would be liable for medical coverage off the ship. 2. They would be liable for pain and suffering. 3. They would be liable for the activities missed on the last 3 days of the cruise.
When I called the Guest Relations department, they told me that they would "investigate" and let us know if they felt liable by letter in 10 days. They asked me what we wanted and we basically asked for the 3 things above.
I would hope that Carnival would not want attornies involved and would want us to be return passengers, since we probably spent $6k on the room + on board activities. We clearly have to wait a month of so to see the true extent of my wife's injury before we can settle for the damages.

Anyone have any idea if Carnival will do the right thing or try to play hardball? Will they try to offer future cruise credit or cash for the the damages? It seems to me a future cruise credit should be quite a bit higher than cash because they would get us back on the ship where we would be spending money again. Any advice or past experience in dealing with Cruise Lines (Carnival in particular) would be appreciated. I had a post cruise problem (lost Luggage) with RCCL and their guest relations department actually did do the right thing and then some.
Sponsored Links