CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Embarking ??? out of NY on Carnival Legend (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/315116-embarking-out-ny-carnival-legend.html)

sandi149 June 4th, 2006 04:46 PM

Embarking ??? out of NY on Carnival Legend

Hi,

My husband and I are going on the Carnival Legend in October out of NY. I would like to know the earliest possible time that they will let us on the ship. I have read many of the reviews here about embarking and they are conflicting. Some say that they don't let you on before 2PM, others say they got on at or before noon. Which one is correct? If I can get on at noon, I would rather do that. I live in NY so getting to the terminal would only be about a 20-30 minute drive depending on how the traffic is.

Thanks.

Jamman June 4th, 2006 06:17 PM

We've been on seven Carnival cruises out of NYC, and everytime we've been onboard between 11:45 - 12:30. We always try to arrive around 11, and that's our plan again in about 24 days!! 8)

lorandsean June 4th, 2006 07:52 PM

Jamman - I'm curious. If you were able to embark by noon, was there a time that they closed the doors and weren't letting people on for awhile? When we took the Legend a few weeks ago, we arrived a little after 2, and they were not letting a soul board, as far as we could tell - the lines were at a complete standstill until about 2:45.

Lo

beachbumMom June 4th, 2006 11:56 PM

Hi All!
We are sailing today (June 5th) out of NY. We reserved pvt. transportation to pick us up @ 11:30 AM (approx. 3-4 miles from Manhattan) planning to arrive 12-12:15 pm. We will post our "early arrival @ NY Pier" experience after returning on June 13th. Watch for my post on the subject. Spoke to friends to returned from this trip end of May and they said they boarded at 12:30 and had their luggage delivered to their room around 1:30! Hope we have such luck.....we will let you all know......Yippeeee! It's finally here!

Jamman June 5th, 2006 10:06 AM

LO, there could be several reasons why boarding could be later than what I have been lucky to experience out of NYC. If the ship gets in later than normal or there are customs issues, this will delay the debarking passengers and ultimately delay boarding. This does happen from time to time, but generally boarding will begin around noon. Since I only live about 45 minutes from the pier, I'll check the webcams to see if the ship has indeed arrived on time before leaving the house!! Can't wait to hear how BeachBumMom makes out!

Sailing gal June 5th, 2006 04:20 PM

We got on real late one time-like 8pm- because of a delay. We got ship credit though which was cool and we saw the "lady" and Manhattan all lit up at night.
I wish I was with beach Bums cruise right now. :D

Karen

francina June 5th, 2006 07:39 PM

Last year I boarded about 12:30. I am planning on getting to the pier again next week by 11am thinking that we will board early again.

saturnsc June 11th, 2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamman
LO, there could be several reasons why boarding could be later than what I have been lucky to experience out of NYC. If the ship gets in later than normal or there are customs issues, this will delay the debarking passengers and ultimately delay boarding. This does happen from time to time, but generally boarding will begin around noon. Since I only live about 45 minutes from the pier, I'll check the webcams to see if the ship has indeed arrived on time before leaving the house!! Can't wait to hear how BeachBumMom makes out!

what is the website address with the webcam of the pier?

beachbumMom June 14th, 2006 03:29 AM

Hi All!
Returned Tuesday the 13th from E/Carib out of NYC on the CCL Legend.Arrived at pier 11 AM - took approx 35 mins. to board - no problems!!!! In cabin before 12 noon and in pool around 1 PM. Luggage delivered around 6 PM...no big deal!
Disembarkation/Debarkation - whatever you want to call it......very, very organized on return. Fastest and most efficient pier experience in NYC!

Will review my cruise after I regain my "land-legs" (and work my way through the laundry......LOL)

Watch for comments later in this week.

arldeb40 June 14th, 2006 09:59 AM

Donna-

I'm glad you and your crew had a great time and your embarkation went without a hitch as we told you. Was thinking about you during the week. Waiting to hear a complete review and how you liked the ports....

Jamman June 14th, 2006 11:54 AM

Welcome home Donna!! Glad you got there early!! :D

Heres the link to the NYC port cam.

http://home.att.net/~gaygroupcruises/cam.htm

bigvin21 June 15th, 2006 12:47 PM

What time does debarkation usually start? How long until you actually get off the boat?

30 days till Legend- 7/15/06 !!!

bigvin21 June 15th, 2006 12:48 PM

What time does debarkation usually start? How long until you actually get off the boat?

30 days till Legend- 7/15/06 !!!

popsec June 15th, 2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbumMom
Hi All!
Returned Tuesday the 13th from E/Carib out of NYC on the CCL Legend.Arrived at pier 11 AM - took approx 35 mins. to board - no problems!!!! In cabin before 12 noon and in pool around 1 PM. Luggage delivered around 6 PM...no big deal!
Disembarkation/Debarkation - whatever you want to call it......very, very organized on return. Fastest and most efficient pier experience in NYC!

Will review my cruise after I regain my "land-legs" (and work my way through the laundry......LOL)

Watch for comments later in this week.

I'm pretty nervous about driving into NY port for the first time next week. Of course that could be because we live in a small town in Vermont that doesn't even have a traffic light so we're not used to "big city" driving...

beachbumMom June 15th, 2006 07:21 PM

popsec:
Have you thought about taking a Greyhound, Trailways or other bus line from your area to NYC Port of Authority? It's only a few blocks to the pier from the bus terminal - or commuter train (if available) like Metro north or Amtrak? Parking at the pier will cost approx. $180/wk and it's rooftop in the sun all week - NYC weather expected to be in the mid-hi 80's all next week (ugh!!!)

If intent on driving, don't obsess with anxiety over the trip; most of it will be on interstate and state highways; the only crazy time is getting to midtown and the pier where trucks and taxi cabs rule the roads! There are traffic control signals at almost every intersection so no one can drive very fast - they do however love to weave around cut in front of whoever is ahead of them only to end up at the next red light anyway!!! Hold your ground and make sure your navigator (passenger) directs you where and when to make your turns - there is NO RIGHT TURN ON RED in NYC and do not attempt to cross an intersection if you cannot clear the pedestrian walkway on the other side - its against the law and fines are stiff! If pulled over or stopped by law/traffic enforcement agents, you could possibly be detained and miss boarding. Once at the pier parking area your car is subject to security checks by guards and dogs (sniffing for dangerous substances in vehicles that could compromise the port area) - once inside the terminal all I can say is the earlier you arrive the quicker you will embark and begin your trip to paradise! Make sure you have detailed maps and precise routes planned for your drive; do not trust Mapquest, etc. - the directions are far too general in nature with few alternate routes if you run into traffic jams or closures due to accidents etc. Try websites that can assist your trip in more than one way.

Whichever you choose - you will love your cruise - happy sailing and safe trip!

popsec June 15th, 2006 07:49 PM

Thanks so much BeachbumMom!....I'll spend some time online trying to find the best route (s). Any particular route coming down from the north that we should definately avoid?

Sailing gal June 17th, 2006 07:48 AM

I think we normally take the GW bridge over and the parkway near the Hudson is right there on the other side. I forgot the name of the road. Is it the Henry Hudson highway? It isn't too bad until you get close to the ship and if you arrive early than that is even better.

I believe you can see the ship from the GW bridge or you will see it very quickly after getting on the parkway. The street numbers along the parkway should be getting smaller not larger.

But I take the 87 thu-way. You might be on the Taconic?

Karen

popsec June 17th, 2006 11:41 PM

I guess we're going to take 87 down to NY thruway, over G.Washington Bridge and onto 9A along the river.....does that sound right to you?

betts1 June 20th, 2006 08:38 AM

Hi popsec you might be better off coming down the taconic to the sawmill the sawmill turns into the henry hudson right to the pier