Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Was afraid to ask

I have been wanting/needing to post this but I have put it off because I'm afraid of the answer.

On May 2 my oldest son Cory (16yrs) had a ruptured appendix and was taken to emergency surg. I told the doctor about our upcoming cruise on May 22 he thought Cory would be fine to go.

He was in the hospital for a week because he was so full of infection they had to keep a close eye on him. I had to pack in incision at home for another week after his release form hosp. The doctor said to wach for any fever and he would see Cory on May 18 the day before we were to leave.

To make a long story short. I tried to get him into see the doctor earlier because he was running some fever but the nurse just kept telling me to wait until his appt. I told her about the cruise and that I did not want to take him out of the country if he was sick. She said "No, you will wait until Thursday and there are doctors on the ship if you need them" Needless to say when we saw the doctor on Thurs. he put Cory back in the hospital for another week because he had an infection in his "gut".

We did not buy the trip insurance

We submitted a letter from the doctor and a letter from TA to Carnival to go before the review board. Carnival said it will take 4-6 weeks from the sail date before they will let us know.

Monday will be 4 weeks have any of you ever heard of getting your money back without insurance

Thanks for your time.

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

BUMMER , all i can say is don't hold your breath, my family and i are going 17 girl, 20 son, on destiney 7/09 - 16th, we always get the ins, oh yes forgot to mention the mrs., she is going too. carnival destiney, starting to get excited, once again good luck with your claim
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Jane, the most important thing is is Cory OK now. Infection all gone? You can replace a cruise, but you cannot replace him.

I have never seen a full refund for a missed cruise regardless of the reason. However, you never know, you may get a compassionate claims examiner.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

As Irish said, the most important thing is that Cory is OK and getting better.

The least of your worries right now should be a refund, however, being one of those that always buys the insurance, but has never had to use it, I am not sure that you can count on a refund. I hope you get it, but it doesn't sound good.

This is a case for the benefits of getting insurance, you never know what will come up. I am in good health, but who knows what could happen - car accident, death in family, or as in your case, illness in family.

I hate to repeat this, but highly unlikely you will see much, if any, refund.

Always get the insurance, if not through cruiseline, then outside company. Life if unpredicatable, you never know what will happen.

Jodi
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rather than persuing carnival for a refund you will have better luck pressing for a cruise exchange , it happened to us 4 years ago because of a death and we were unable to leave , we were allowed to switch our reservation to another date and time , this worked very well for us, both sides win this way you still get your cruise and carnival still gets you on their ship.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your replys.

Cory is OK now after the second round in the hospital I had to give him IV antibotics at home for another week. It has been a crazy month.

We did reschedule because our TA said it would look better to Carnival, to show them that we really did want to go. We are leaving on the Glory on June 24. We all really need this cruise. The other reason we rescheduled was because I was afraid Cory would think it was his fault we did not get to go on the first one.

I guess if we don't get any money back we just won't get to spend very much. But that is the nice thing about cruises you can still have a very good time without spending alot of extra.

Thanks again,
Jane
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am so glad to read that Cory is going to be okay. I hope you have a great cruise. I heard the Glory was a really fun ship.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer
Thanks for your replys.

Cory is OK now after the second round in the hospital I had to give him IV antibotics at home for another week. It has been a crazy month.

We did reschedule because our TA said it would look better to Carnival, to show them that we really did want to go. We are leaving on the Glory on June 24. We all really need this cruise. The other reason we rescheduled was because I was afraid Cory would think it was his fault we did not get to go on the first one.

I guess if we don't get any money back we just won't get to spend very much. But that is the nice thing about cruises you can still have a very good time without spending alot of extra.

Thanks again,
Jane
I'm so glad to hear that your son is ok and that you'll still get to cruise. Hope it's a great time for all of you!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just heard from Carnival today. They are refunding all but $300.00 of our cruise.

Praying does work!! Cory is all better and we got most of our money back!!!!!!

Thanks,
Jane
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Admiral

That is good news!

Did you ask if you rebook on another cruise if they would give you full credit?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

We leave Sat. on the Glory. This is our rebooked cruise. We just rebooked without knowing if we would be getting money back or not

Thank goodness it worked out

Jane
Old June 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Have a wonderful cruise the memories your about to make will help forget any headache your family has gone though with the insurance stuff!! I'm glad it all worked out. God is Good

Have a blast you deserve it

Carnival Sensation

Disney Wonder: May 2004
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Jane,

Very glad to hear Carnival gave you back something, especially since they did not need to at all! Also glad that Cory is better, and yes, you certainly can enjoy a cruise without spending a lot of money, just be careful about going off on your own at certain ports.

Andddd, I'm sure you knew you'd be asked this question, did you get insurance for the new cruise?

We never used to buy the insurance, but when we started spending more, and hubby began to have health problems, we just decided to figure it in on the price of the cruise. If we did have to miss one, would be worse if we paid for it but couldn't go!

Have a great time, you all deserve it!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

No we did not buy insurance. We booked with only 4 wks until sail TA did not offer insurance.

Honestly I don't know much about the cruise ins. and assumed it was not available with such a short time until sail. Because we had to pay in full at the time of booking, I thought ins was only available before final payment was made.

Maybe someone can tell me how it works?

Thanks, Jane
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Passenger

i hope your son is feeling better
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Admiral

HE is wonderful and gracious when asked and glorified. Thank Heavens HE intervened on both, your son's behalf and the cruises behalf.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

A personal travel agent with Carnival told me that you can actually buy the travel insurance up to 7 days before your cruise departure date.
We ALWAYS buy the travel insurance when we book the cruise and make our initial deposit. Pre-existing conditions are only covered if you buy the travel insurance within 48 hrs of booking your cruise. If you wait and don't get the insurance until later, any medical problems you might have had before are excluded.
The travel insurance is not just for cancellation of your cruise in case you don't get to go. The insurance covers you in case you would have an emergency on board your ship, such as a fall, heart attack, stroke, etc. If you have an emergency and have to be med-evacuted off the ship, you would truly be in a huge financial bind. Depending on where you were, the evacuation itself could be over $10,000, and you need to have this type of limit on a credit card. If you are admitted to a hospital, your spouse would need to stay at some type of hotel and this is also covered.
Any type of luggage lost, flights missed and not arriving at the ship before sailing are covered.
BUT...we buy the insurance just for the peace of mind in case of an emergency while cruising. Just a little slip in the shower could break a hip, and let me tell you...you do not want to be in a hospital on some little remote area of the world.
You can buy the insurance from Carnival or you can go to insuremytrip.com and there are lots of different companies to chose from. If you buy the insurance and then decide not to go on the cruise, your premium is refunded.
Glad your son is well...he is going to love the cruise!!!!
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Judy,

What Jane said is very important...and you said you did not buy the insurance because your TA did not offer it...

Thru your harrowing and lucky experience, I would figure from now on you would make SURE you get the insurance...we have to take responsiblity for our own situations, and there is nothing to stop you from ASKING about getting the insurance. Just because he did not offer is no excuse...

Sorry to sound so brutal, but I think you need to be more pro-active in situations such as this....

VERY glad things worked out for you................ENJOY!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Judy THANK YOU very much for the information.

Jean you are right thank you for the kick in the butt. (I needed it)

Jane
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ok Jane, lets get happy here "4" days and counting! Everything works out for a reason, maybe yours is you get to meet me! Or Not! See ya on board! Sandi
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

See ya there Sandi. I am so behind in packing

Jane
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I leave tomorrow for Tampa (fathers house) still not finished packing, don't feel bad. You flying in night before and where are you staying, I might have asked this already.
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Dear Jane,

It was a kick in the butt sent with love!!! hee hee

Have a great time!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sandi- We are leaving early Friday morning and driving down. Not sure where we are going to stay.

Can you tell me your cabin # again? Mine is 1225

Jane
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am so glad that your son is healthy and that you are going on the cruise. I am also pleased to see that Carnival credited the majority of your original cruise fare.

This illustrates the need to buy insurance at the time of purchase. Cruise insurance, like many types of insurance, is something you will probably not use but when you do need it you really wish you would have purchased it.

It is really not the cost of the trip that is the major expense that will hurt you it is the medical issues that may arise in cruising. If you become ill or injured in a foreign port, most domestic insurance policies will not cover you. If you need to be evacuated from the ship the cost will be well over $10,000 and probably three or four times that amount.

If you wish to take the gamble and not purchase the insurance it's up to you. I personally love to gamble but that is a risk I won't take.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are in 9264 on Lido Deck. Just look for a one arm man. My DH
he lost it 18 years ago, but don't seem to miss it to much! We are staying at the Raddison Fri nite. You can part free there also. Maybe see ya there!
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM
Admiral

so glad to hear that all worked out for you!
Best wishes for a full recovery for Corey
have a beautiful cruise, you all deserve it so much