Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Beginner

Default Is the Carnival Kids club fun for kids 2-8?

We are taking a trip with our whole family including 7 kids ranging from ages 2-8 and know that when the kids are happy the parents are happy! I really want to make the right choice on a good kids club, but can't afford Disney. Some of my family wants to go Carnival, but I've heard their programs aren't really that great. Past traveler opinions? What about Royal Caribbean?
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Anyone who has told you that Camp Carnival is not good is CRAZY, OUT OF THEIR MINDS....

Like you said, if the kids didn't have a good time, the parents wouldn't have a good time, and with that said...

We are taking our 15th Carnival cruise Monday and my kids are now 12 and almost 16 (on the cruise)... The reason we are repeat Carnival cruisers is absolutely positively because of the Camp Carnival program... We started cruising when the kids were both infants and between them and my nieces and nephews, they love Camp Carnival....

As a matter of fact, when it came time to pick them up, they would look at us and say "But we don't want to leave"

Gooooooo Carnival and not one person in your family will be disappointed... Oh, and by they way, when we cruise its usually with at least 12 family members and we started when the kids were infants and the grandparents are all over 65 years young...

Elaine
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

When my kids were younger they really enjoyed Camp Carnival. In fact, there were lots of tears when it was time to leave! While they had a good time on Royal Carribean, they seemed to prefer the program on Carnival better. Also, keep in mind your child must be 3 and potty trained for Royal Carribean's camp program.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We gave our 9 & 11 year old boys the choice of the Explorer of the Seas or the Carnival Legend for this years cruise that we just got off of today. They chose the Carnival Legend for the third time, and we're all glad that they did!! They love Camp Carnival better!!
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Old July 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

We sailed last May when my son was 6 years old, we have always sailed on Carnival but this was our first opportunity to try out Camp Carnival. I was a bit concerned because my son is a bit shy and has some anxiety about being left somewhere that he doesn't know atleast one person. Let me tell you, he loved every minute of it. They have tons of activities that are age appropriate and the counselors really make an effort to make a personal connection with your child while still remaining very professional. The last day of our cruise he cried and asked if we could move onto the ship because he had made so many new friends. This fall we are going again and this time our youngest will be 3 and old enough to attend Camp Carnvial as well. I wouldn't dream of sailing on any other cruise line, since Carnival truly caters to families.
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Camp Carnival

We have never cruised with kids, but next month, on our 9th cruise we are taking all the kids and grandkids. There are 12 of us in the group including five kids. The kids are ages 4, 6, 9, 12 and 13. Our concern is that with the ages of the kids, none of the programs appear to offer an age range that even 2 of the kids might be able to attend together.

We will be on the Holiday and hoped that at least 2 of the younger children and the two oldest children might be grouped in the same age category. Does Carnival make any exceptions to their ages, or will each child have to go it alone?

Also, if they do not want to attend Camp Carnival solo, what activites do the kids have on board other than the pools and arcade?

We sail on 8/19/06 and would love to have your comments and suggestions on this subject?
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
First Mate

Hey! We've done Carnival and Disney. While Disney does have a great kids club area and programs....the kids are hardly ever there due to soo much other stuff going on.

Carnival's Camp carnival is terrific to occupy the little ones while parents are enjoying other things. We took our daughter who was 2 1/2 at the time on the Glory and she would just throw her hands up in the air and squeel with joy when ever we took her to the daycare area.
Then she'd run in and didnt look back! was mad when we picked her up.

We on the other hand had an awful time....(possibly due to hurricane interference and other things...)

She still to this day remembers and asks about the room with the sun (the camp carnival).

I dont think splitting up the kids is gonna be a big deal. They are going to be soooo busy with all the activities and making new friends. You can do things as a family after or before the camp.
Have fun!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

You can ask if your children can stay together, but its up to the counselors. A lot depends on how many are in each group. If there are a lot of kids on board and one group has a lot of children in it, they may tell you no.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Admiral

My 2 boys have been cruising with us since 1998 ( 14th "family" cruise coming up in October) and although they are older now...they have always loved Camp Carnival.

The best that I can remember is the ages are grouped 2-5 and 6-8. None of these ages can sign themselves out (like the 9-11). For security reasons, the same parent that signs them in...has to sign them out.

I am way overprotective (since my youngest son is a special needs child) and the staff at CC have always gone above and beyond to make him feel comfortable.

The CC staff are very professional and still fun. At orientation (which is the first night), they will give you a Caper (newsletter) that will note all the activities (time and place) for the entire week for your child's age group. So (for example) if they take the 6-8 year olds to the Lido deck to make ice cream "creations", you will know exactly where they are when they are not in the club room.

On the day of embarkation, around 7:30pm, you will be instructed to attend an orientation where you will complete the kids paperwork (allergies etc), introduce your little ones to their respective counselors and ask any questions.

The "child care" starts at 9AM the next day. Depending on the cruise, (port days and sea days are handled differently) you will generally pick your precious up for lunch and dinner. CC closes at 10PM, unless you want them to do after hours babysitting (10pm - 3am) which will cost you $6 a child (with a discount for additional children) per hour. Just remember that 9AM - 10PM is included in the price of the cruise. 10PM-3AM is extra.

Know that Carnival does change diapers. On some other cruiselines, they will not accept children if they are not already potty trained.

Happy cruising!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND