Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Passenger

Default Help please on insurance

I've been planning our cruise for a bit now and i'm just drained...Now i come to the part of insurance...do i do it or no? I've checked www.eglobalhealth.com 30$ plan and TravelGuard's 25$ plan Savvy Traveler....All we r looking for is insurance in case flight is delayed from nj because of a hurricane that will cause us to miss the cruise....now we r leaving a day early sept 1...So do we really need it? And are these plans good...we r early twenties and we really have no idea about this stuff. Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

I'm coming up on my seventh cruise and we have never purchased the insurance. I know it's a gamble but one that has paid off so far. You are smart to fly one day early, just in case of delays. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that suggest getting the insurance, there are a million unknowns out there. Just thought I'd share my own experience with you. My husband and I always felt it was just one more thing to spend $$$ on.

Good Luck.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've always purchased insurance and in fact had to make 2 claims over the years. YOu'll need to make sure the coverage you take out includes something for med vac, in case someone gets injured and needs to be taken from the ship to a hospital, that could cost thousands and I've seen it happen on almost every cruise. Just be sure to check out the different policies.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Please buy it. You never know what can happen or what things may come up. It's peace of mind thats well worth the price.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Would you drive your car without liability coverage, not have medical coverage or insurance on your home in case of fire? I've been married for over 36years and have never used our homeowners insurance, but you can bet that if I cancelled that insurance, the house would burn down tonight.
I wouldn't think about taking a cruise without travel insurance. It's not a hardship if you happen to miss a plane and are delayed..but if you have an accident while on the cruise..you could face huge expenses. How do you think you are taken off the ship if you fall and break a hip or leg, you would need to be med-evac by helicopter to the nearest medical facility.
I just don't think it's worth the gamble...unless you are financially able to incur expenses that could possibly reach over $100,000.
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Yeoman

They are absolutely right.........I've only been on 3 cruises so far and I have always purchased insurance. You never know what is going to happen to you or a family member just before the cruise. Also, make sure they have medical insurance coverage also. It will help if youneed to me evacuted back home by air, medical in a foreign country, etc. Get it. Don't risk not having it. You just never know

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Try insuremytrip.com. They give quotes from a lot of different companys, so you can compare what they offer and the price. Whatever you decide, have a great trip, and most of all, I hope you DON'T need that insurance, whether you buy it or not.
Ken
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Admiral

we NEVER travel with out it. The coverage you need to purchase is Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Baggage and Medical Evacauation. Also check with your healthcare provider to see if you have coverage outside the United States, if you do, great if not, then you should consider buying health insurance coverage. Medical Evac is the biggie, if something should happen to either one of you and you needed to be evacuated from the ship to a hospital that can cost thousands.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Insurance

We have been on two cruises where the ship had to deviate and make an emergency stop to off load a sick passenger for medivac back to the states. We never travel overseas without travel insurance - it is relatively cheap - easy to obtain from insuremytrip.com and eliminates one worry.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

ESS........have you or any one you know used insuremytrip.com? Just curious. I usually get it from my TA. Didn't know if there was a big price break through them or am I better going through the TA?

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks very much

Thanks
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Default Gotta have it!

We have only been on 5 cruises but always get the insurance! He actually had a claim last year during our Hurricane Wilma cruise. Along with the delay getting home, our new digital camera was stolen. We had our money back from the insurance company within 4 weeks.

We use Travelguard and will stick with them. They were great!
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

I'm sorry....I wasn't trying to give bad advice. Just sharing my own experience. You have all given me a lot to think about, especially now that we are travelling with our children. I don't think anyone at Carnival ever fully explained the insurance to us, only for trip cancellation. I didn't think about medical coverage while on board. Maybe I'm a better surfer than poster.
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Passenger

Not a problem Tompo8190! The OP was looking for opinion and you shared yours. Trust me, I thought many time on whether I needed it or not until the Hurricane Wilma cruise. Now I am sold forever.

We did not get insurance for our first cruise in 2004 but heard many horror stories that swayed us to get it on our second cruise. I always thought during the winter what could go wrong as we always leave a day early but then the stolen camera and hearing about people being medivaced out makes you realize it doesn't matter what time of year you cruise.
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:58 PM
First Mate

The plane fare/cruise fare is the least of your problems without insurance. What should really concern you is the Medical Insurance! Most policies will NOT COVER you while on a cruise in a foreign country. Check to see if your health insurance covers helicopter evacuation, etc from a cruise ship in open waters. My son took a 10 minute ambulance ride while on vacation in Las Vegas a few years ago and my portion of the ambulance ride after insurance was $600. Can you imagine what it would cost to have them come by helicopter or what a hospital stay would be in another country? Even a trip to the ships doctor will cost you over $100. I talked to someone who broke his leg (it was his own fault) and had to be airlifted to a hospital. His bill was over $60,000. On our last trip, someone had a heart attack and the ship had to turn around. Things happen. Have I ever used the insurance? No, but I would NEVER travel without it. A few hundered dollars is well worth the peace of mind.

Sure you can take a chance...but why risk it? Get the insurance and really enjoy your trip...worry free!

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Beginner

Even if you use insuremytrip.com, I recommend directly checking travelguard.com. I first heard about them on a segment on national news. They base their rates on your trip cost.

I have coverage for my cruise (21 days from now ). It covers medical (10,000 pp), emergency evacuation (100,000 pp), baggage and travel docs, trip cancellation, etc. The premium for 2 people was $36.

Happy cruising!