Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Passenger

I never understood how so many people could be so disturbed by what OTHER people are wearing? Wear what makes you comfortable and have a great time!
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuynTexas
I never understood how so many people could be so disturbed by what OTHER people are wearing? Wear what makes you comfortable and have a great time!
On the other hand, I've never understood what's so hard about following the rules, go figure.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default Re: My DH doesn't wear anything but jeans~EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwildflower2002
Nope, not to prom, 50th anniverseries, weddings, Never! On our other cruises, he always wears a new pair with a sports jacket, but on Conquest it says-NO JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM-NO SHORTS AFTER DARK. What am I to do?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you'll be fine on regular nights. But for formal nights, I personally wouldn't wear jeans.
If all else fails, there's always the Lido Deck dining room. And thats not a bad thing

Happy Sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I would imagine it is the same reason that certain restaurants require coat and tie to dine in their establishment.
Their clientele expect a certain AMBIANCE when they pay to dine there.
Said ambiance can be ruined when standards are lowered to accomadate those too lazy to follow these rather simple standards.
(if I am paying for a fine dinner and elegant ambiance, I don't want some lazy clown, let in, lowering the standards to that of my corner McDonald's or even TGI Friday's)

I personally never wear anything except jeans, jeans shorts (here in SC from early March until usually around Thanksgiving) or nicer docker shorts.

But that being said, I am a mature enough individual, that I do dress up for any appropriate situation, out of RESPECT for the other people attending the event or establishment.
I may be slightly uncomfortable for a couple of hours, but the joy it brings my Wife or Parents makes the tiny sacrifice completely worthwhile.

Sadly, too many people in today's society have become so self centered and selfish, that they no longer care how their actions (or lack of) impact or affect the people around them.

Bill
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Make sure your pants fit!!! Our son was married in Dec. in Vagas so our curise being in Feb thought no problem!!! My husband went to put the same pants on he wore for the wedding and OMG to tight, to uncomfortable and he wanted to eat that lobster!!! We did have another pair along thank God that half matched his suit jacket. But let me tell you that he sure would of wore jeans with his jacket and tie, no doubt in my mind. If he would of been questioned he could of asked for them to bring him pants that fit!!! We also forgot dark socks with wearing tennis shoes and sandles all week, Thank God I had a pair he could wear!!! Just have fun It's your vacation!!!! He also wore jeans to eat on reg nights, with a nice shirt no problem. Just have great fun!!!! Peace!!! P:S Thanks to the kid that tied my husbands tie, that was new to us also!!! We had fun getting all duded up!!!! Does not happen that often!!!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
Quote:
I would imagine it is the same reason that certain restaurants require coat and tie to dine in their establishment.
Their clientele expect a certain AMBIANCE when they pay to dine there.
Said ambiance can be ruined when standards are lowered to accomadate those too lazy to follow these rather simple standards.
(if I am paying for a fine dinner and elegant ambiance, I don't want some lazy clown, let in, lowering the standards to that of my corner McDonald's or even TGI Friday's)

I personally never wear anything except jeans, jeans shorts (here in SC from early March until usually around Thanksgiving) or nicer docker shorts.

But that being said, I am a mature enough individual, that I do dress up for any appropriate situation, out of RESPECT for the other people attending the event or establishment.
I may be slightly uncomfortable for a couple of hours, but the joy it brings my Wife or Parents makes the tiny sacrifice completely worthwhile.

Sadly, too many people in today's society have become so self centered and selfish, that they no longer care how their actions (or lack of) impact or affect the people around them.

Bill
Bingo, you hit the nail exactly on the head there, Bill. All of these issues (smoking, cell phones, proper attire) come down to one thing and one thing only: common courtesy (which includes respect for your fellow passengers).

The responses in this thread clearly show who is caught up in themselves ("It's MY vacation!") and who has the decency to show courtesy and respect to their shipmates ("Hey wait a minute, it's not MY vacation, it's 2000 of us on vacation!").
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Yeoman

Bill and ParrotRob.........You both are totally ......Right On!!!!! Thanks for putting it in those words. Maybe now they can understand.........Respect for others is the key words here folks!

I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise!
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ouch!!!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Passenger

What is the difference between ignoring the dress code and smoking in a no smoking area? Guess you can choose which rules you want to obey? Oh, well, it's my vacation too.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Wildflower, I'm curious...how old is your guy?? I also agree that you should be comfortable on your VACATION (even tho others think you should be uncomfortable to be able to enjoy the steak & lobster) but I think wearing jeans to someone's wedding is a bit disrespectful! I mean, you're not going to live in the darn things....

I also think he should be able to get away with a pair of black jeans... guess it's important enough to him to try!

Good luck!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Jeans have evolved from clothing that only an auto mechanic, farmer, or oil driller would wear into haute couture...how did this happen? I own one pair of jeans to wear when I do gardening, wash my car or paint my house. Listen up, Jeans are not acceptable attire in the formal dining room on a cruise ship....I don't care how you try to dress them up with fancy blouses, high heeled shoes, belts, etc., they're still ugly, utilitarian, Jeans. Just remember, the formal dining room on a ship has white tablecloths, linen napkins, silverware, flowers on the table, china dishes, chandeliers, wait staff in dark suits and ties, HEL-LO!! Wear your jeans, if you must, for train, plane, or auto travel, they do not belong in the formal dining room, period, the end. If the majority of people conform to the rules and regulations set by the cruise lines for proper attire and you don't feel it's fair, eat somewhere else on the ship. We sailed on the Glory last month and the Maitre d' announced over the loudspeaker a very specific set of rules for attire in the dining room and there were still individuals who chose to ignore him. No, they were not accosted by fellow passengers but why would you put yourself in an embarrassing position where you might be asked to change your clothes. Respect the rules stated by the cruise line and respect your fellow passengers, it doesn't take much effort to comply. What has happened to everyone, it's all about self-gratification and self-importance now, the "ME" society now rules the land and as long as they're shelling out money for something, they feel they are entitled to behave any way they want. Thanks to all my fellow passengers who dress appropriately in the formal dining room, all you Jean wearers unite and enjoy the food at the buffet restaurant and discuss the injustice of it all.
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Yeoman

Well said rosetattoo..........you are absolutely right!!!!!!!!!!!

Old August 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Passenger

I guess I am the minority here because I could care less what other people wear to eat. Whether someone has on jeans, a suit, or a pink- polka-dotted tutu makes no difference to me. As long as I have good food, good wine, and good conversation all is o.k. in the universe for me!If you are THAT put out by what someone else wears then maybe you need to stop and take a look at yourself and figure out what makes you so angry about this. Yes, I understand rules are rules, but if there is a guy from Kansas or Timbuktu that has never worn a suit and only feels comfortable in jeans ,then by gosh I say ...wear your jeans and enjoy your cruise!
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
I guess I am the minority here because I could care less what other people wear to eat. Whether someone has on jeans, a suit, or a pink- polka-dotted tutu makes no difference to me. As long as I have good food, good wine, and good conversation all is o.k. in the universe for me!If you are THAT put out by what someone else wears then maybe you need to stop and take a look at yourself and figure out what makes you so angry about this. Yes, I understand rules are rules, but if there is a guy from Kansas or Timbuktu that has never worn a suit and only feels comfortable in jeans ,then by gosh I say ...wear your jeans and enjoy your cruise!
I totally disagree with that statement. If people don't want to dress appropriately for the FORMAL dining room......there's the Lido.......go there. Then they can wear their jeans, tutu, or whatever.

Old August 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

On one of our shorter cruises, we just decided we were only bringing jeans and shorts and were going to skip the formal night w/the annoying picture takers, etc., etc. When we told our tablemates this, they told us the enjoyed our company so much, that THEY would not mind us showing up in jeans! At their insistance, we did attend the dinner and no one cared....guess to them, what was inside was more important than what was outside!

What a concept!

Although neither of us would wear jeans to a wedding....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
On one of our shorter cruises, we just decided we were only bringing jeans and shorts and were going to skip the formal night w/the annoying picture takers, etc., etc. When we told our tablemates this, they told us the enjoyed our company so much, that THEY would not mind us showing up in jeans! At their insistance, we did attend the dinner and no one cared....guess to them, what was inside was more important than what was outside!

What a concept!

Although neither of us would wear jeans to a wedding....
Just a question....why wouldn't you wear jeans to a wedding if you would eat in a formal dining room with jeans, When in fact, you knew this was not protocal??????? Explain to me the difference........I don't seem to be grasping this. It's respect for the people getting married and it's respect because Carnival or the other cruise lines asked that there be no jeans or shorts in the dining room..............Explain!!!!!!!!!! Sounds to me like you decide on your own set of rules when it's convenient for YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Old August 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Because I am on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N although I realize you cannot grasp this line of thinking...

When I go to a wedding, I have been invited by personal friends who are entering into a lifelong commitment, you cannot see the difference????

I see by all of your exclamation points that you are very stressed!! Need another cruise, perhaps??? Let's all go!

And BTW, we usually do dress up on formal nights....but we're wearing blu jeans in our very happy minds!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Admiral

GuynTexas.....in your response you stated "rules are rules" then you contradict this statement by saying that "if there is a guy from Kansas or Timbuktu that has never worn a suit and only feels comfortable in jeans, then by gosh I say...wear your jeans and enjoy your cruise!" So, are you saying we can make allowances for some guy from Kansas or Timbuktu who doesn't want to conform to requirements because he's only comfortable in jeans? How about everyone wearing whatever they are comfortable in to dinner or to any formal occasion....I personally am most comfortable in my Mickey Mouse PJ's so hope no one is offended when I walk into the dining room.
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for all of your suggestions, positive and negative! My DH does dress up for occasions! We have tried to buy him slacks, but with his body type, they just don't fit right. He is a large man and the pleats don't help. For prom, he rented a grey tux, and wore all of it put the pants and cumberbun, and wore jeans. He looked great! No, he doesn't wear faded or holy jeans. He even sends them and his shirts to the cleaners to have them starched or pressed. After considering all the posts-I think he will take his new blue jeans and new black ones, BUT! I will take the docker suggestion and buy him a pair, just in case. If he has to wear them-he will feel like a clown through dinner. Our elder son is getting married next year and he is considering buying a suit. Sometimes old dogs can learn new tricks!
Going on #9! Serenade of the Seas 12-08!
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

OK - Everyone seems to have an opinion on jeans / denim pants. Golf courses, cruise lines, country clubs, ... all seem to make rules / policies on this issue.
Why do pro golfers wear slacks during golf tournaments? Because it is a P.G.A. rule! I was a golf professional and I have heard ALL the arguements on why denim / jeans should be allowed ( Most jeans cost more that a pair of Dockers. ). Frankly I'm tied of hearing about this.
MY OPINION IS "WHEN IN ROME . . . . . . " 8)

Would you wear jeans to meet the President? NO
(If you want to wear flip-flops, that is OK)
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Flip-flops? don't get us started....
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Mickey mouse pj's are cool w/ me as long as you come to the table wearing a SMILE, can hold a conversation and maybe partake in a few glasses of good wine! Ease up people ....some of you act like the cruiseship nazis! I think it is funny how upset some of these posters get about the silliest things. Life is too short to be worrying about all of the non-essential things!
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

OK...i had to get back in the ball game. WOULD I WEAR JEANS TO MEET THE PRESIDENT? Without a doubt YES!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING BUT!

Old August 10th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ever notice how much fun it is to disagree...it's what makes places like this so much fun.
Here's my two cents.....I believe it was Bill that said "people in today's society have become so self centered and selfish". I agree with that 100%.
Everyone who stands by the "it's my vacation" opinion are also right.
The part that doesn't mix well with these two points in the ATTITUDE that some people have.
If a person simply must wear jeans to a formal dinner, then wear them. Enjoy dinner and all that goes with it. But please don't make a bid deal about not following the rules. We have all seen people who decide, for whatever reason, to go against the rules. And some of those people have an "in your face attitude" about what they are doing. Chances are, those are the people most of us would prefer not to dine with no matter what they were wearing.
I'm going on my first cruise in a few weeks and the best advice I've heard yet is to go with a positive attitude, looking for fun. If you go looking to complain, you can find that also. Personally, I'm more into FUN!
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschef
Ever notice how much fun it is to disagree...it's what makes places like this so much fun.
Here's my two cents.....I believe it was Bill that said "people in today's society have become so self centered and selfish". I agree with that 100%.
Everyone who stands by the "it's my vacation" opinion are also right.
The part that doesn't mix well with these two points in the ATTITUDE that some people have.
If a person simply must wear jeans to a formal dinner, then wear them. Enjoy dinner and all that goes with it. But please don't make a bid deal about not following the rules. We have all seen people who decide, for whatever reason, to go against the rules. And some of those people have an "in your face attitude" about what they are doing. Chances are, those are the people most of us would prefer not to dine with no matter what they were wearing.I'm going on my first cruise in a few weeks and the best advice I've heard yet is to go with a positive attitude, looking for fun. If you go looking to complain, you can find that also. Personally, I'm more into FUN!
Excellent point.

One thing I have noticed about this thread and one or two others I have read is both sides focus on the idea of RULES....

Some people on the one side of the argument seem to be overly bothered by the fact that people must break "the rules".

Some on the other side of the argument, seem to feel the need to go against the dress code, because they are overly agitated by having to , as they see it, follow somebody else's "rules".

Ironically, people NOT following proper dress codes, is NOT going to ruin anyone's vacation.
Just as, the people who have to go to all the trouble to "dress up", will NOT have their vacation ruined by being courteous to their fellow passengers (who paid just as much for THEIR vacations) and following the dress code.

I have to admit, I'd rather enjoy a nice dinner with my Wife dressed up for a couple of hours, with tablemates who respect us enough to at least follow the minimum dress code.(and give my Wife, the fine dining ambiance she enjoys, but rarely gets at home.)

But I'd rather be seated with a nice, Mr. "I only wear Blue Jeans", than a rude, idiot, dressed to the nines, giving me a headache all through dinner.

Bill
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Ironically, people NOT following proper dress codes, is NOT going to ruin anyone's vacation.
That's not the point, though. If I am seated at the table across from you and I am wearing a bathrobe, that's not going to "ruin your vacation" either, but it's also not RIGHT and it's also not APPROPRIATE.

I can't really tell, but you seem to be implying that anything short of "ruining your vacation" is acceptable - how about if come over and help myself to your bread? Maybe snatch a bit of your chateaubriand? Now before you say that's just rude, consider: you can always get more, so it's not like your vacation is ruined, and besides, it's MY vacation, so if I want to do that, hell, I paid for it just like you did, and it's REALLY no different than some good-natured french fry snatching at Burger King, right?

But, of course, I would never do that, because it IS different. Some people still care about etiquette, decency and common courtesy, and when that Caper specifically says the dress code for the dining room tonight is "formal" or "resort casual", wearing anything less than that is distasteful, impolite, rude, bad-mannered, boorish and even ignorant. But, you're right, it's not going to "ruin my vacation".

So go ahead, wear your jeans to dinner - but don't be surprised when people treat you with the same level of consideration, grace, courtesy and respect you've chosen to (not) show them.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Admiral

wildflower- my DH is a large man also, pleats are a total no-no when it comes to dress pants, buy him flat front pants. Do you have a K&G Superstore near you? They cater to big, tall and athleticly built men. JC Penny also has a big and tall department.

Just as an aside here, the VAST MAJORITY of cruisers do abide by the stated dress code, its a small minority that CHOOSE to not abide by the stated dress code, and more and more you are hearing stories of Maitre D's turning folks away from the FORMAL DINING ROOMS who are not dressed appropriately.
More cruisers are filling out the comment cards about people not dressed
appropriatley and the cruise lines take the comment cards seriously.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
wildflower- my DH is a large man also, pleats are a total no-no when it comes to dress pants, buy him flat front pants. Do you have a K&G Superstore near you? They cater to big, tall and athleticly built men. JC Penny also has a big and tall department.

Just as an aside here, the VAST MAJORITY of cruisers do abide by the stated dress code, its a small minority that CHOOSE to not abide by the stated dress code, and more and more you are hearing stories of Maitre D's turning folks away from the FORMAL DINING ROOMS who are not dressed appropriately.
Good for them!

For wildflower, there are also the Casual Male and Repp nationwide big and tall stores that have everything from sweats to double-breasted gabardines in sizes up to something like 8XL. It's the only place I know where you can get socks in a size 16 too
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Admiral

a reality check..in my 25 cruises I can count on my 2 hands the number of folks that have come to the dining room on formal night dress really in poor taste..now that may mean that the staff at the door does a good job in screening them out before they enter..or it may mean that the overwhelming majority of guest comply in the spirit of the activity

I have been witness to some creative attire that brings a new dimension to the evening..and I've also enjoy seeing teenage boys and their dads that you know don't want to wear a sports jacket (no tie needed it's the effort that you reward) do it to please their wives and moms and take a nice family picture

It's one night out of your dream cruise week, it's one night out of the year,it's one nice formal picture that will look nice on your fireplace.
I see more good in my fellow mankind and I'm sure the wives and girlfriends appreciate and reward their efforts to make the night special

I am of the school that if I were going to the white house, I would put on a suit and tie and shined shoes, because I was raised to respect the office and the symbol that the White House stands for regardless of who the POTUS is at the time and their politics..I am of the school that if you are going on a cruise, you bring a tie and a jacket and nice pants and shined shoes (if you don't want to wear a dark suit or a tux), because you respect the legacy of the cruising spirit and the symbol of what a formal night means and you respect your wife or girlfriend that you are with because you do not want to detract from her beauty and her dress !

My parents raised me that the way you are dressed in a business or social function (and formal night is a social function) is a reflection on how your parents raised you.

My mother had a saying (well she had alot of saying) that she shared with all of her sons.." a man is judge by how well he takes care of his teeth and feet and how he dresses when he leaves home"
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="ParrotRob"]
Quote:

So go ahead, wear your jeans to dinner - but don't be surprised when people treat you with the same level of consideration, grace, courtesy and respect you've chosen to (not) show them.

Speaking only for myself......if I take on the attitude that ParrotRob is suggesting, then I am coming dangerously close to ruining my own vacation.
If I allow what someone else chooses to wear (or say) to affect my mood or my attitude towards someone, then I have given that person a certain amount of control over my life.