Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Passenger

Default Shore Excursions Questions!!! Please Help...

Yes I'm begging...I just want my first cruise with my dh to be the best possible since it's our first cruise and for our 10 year anniversary.

Okay we are sailing on the Destiny on 12/31

Here is what we are thinking...

St Thomas - On our own. We want to do the tram to the high point and shop. Then in the afternoon take a taxi to Sapphire Beach. Any suggestions??? Is this a good thing to do on our own?

Dominica -
We are thinking of either doing the River Tubing or the Chamagne Snorkeling. What else is there to do in Dominica? Is there shopping

My dh is also interested in Trafalgar Falls?

Barbados -
We are thinking Malibu Rum Distellery and Beach OR
Barbados Thriller Powerboat

Aruba-
We are thinking De Palm Island Snorkeling b/c it is only 3.5 hours and we would have time to walk around the town after the excursion OR the 4 X 4 Cross Country Jeep Adventure (which is what my DH really wants to do)

We love the beach, being outdoors and having lots of fun! Any suggestions are welcomed. THanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Congrats on your up coming Aniv. cruise Thats great

First thing is to relax and leave all the worry's at home. Everything will work out great . If you plan on eating in the dining room on your aniv. night, tell the Maitre'd. He may do something special for you. Or another great choice is, go to the Supper Club that night.

St. Thomas- Good idea on the Skyride. You said tram, is that what you meant If you're wanting to go to a beach, go to St. John. Alot of our fellow passengers went to St. John and where well pleased.

On your other ports of call, I can't help you there. Sorry

Happy Cruising;
David

PS.
www.stthomasskyride.com
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:45 AM
Passenger

Thanks! Yes I meant the skyride...I could not think of what it was called

Thanks for the info. We are so excited...and nervous about leaving our children for a week for the first time!
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:03 AM
Admiral

St. Thomas - We went to Coral World then the tram up to Paradise Point.

Barbados - We caught a cab to Harrison's Cave in the morning then went to Malibu Beach in the afternoon. It was fantastic.

Dominica - This was the only excursion we booked through the cruise. We took the aerial-tram through the Rain Forest. The guides were fantastic and so friendly. The rainforest was beautiful. There's a market in Dominica right across from the ship but its not really a big shopping place.

Aruba - We went on the Jolly Pirates cruise/snorkling trip. I highly recommend this. 9:30 am to 1:30 pm three stops to snorkle at, lunch and open bar. The crew was so much fun. Plenty of time to going shopping and all of the other stuff when you get back from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm more then happy to answer them.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

Hi jbixby,
It is very easy to get around in St Thomas because there are taxis everywhere. Most trip costs around $8/pp. Just beware of the time to get to the ship. Do take the tram to Paradise Point; you will like the photos from up there. St John Trunk Bay beach is very beautiful and accessible by ferry. But if you plan to shop alot, I don't think you will have time to go there. This is what I usually do in St Thomas, take a taxi to "Red Hook" marina. Take the 15 minutes ferry to St John, take a taxi to Trunk Bay. On the return, take a taxi from Trunk Bay to the ferry on St John, take the 30 minutes ferry from St John to St Thomas Charlotte Armalie downtown, shop, take a taxi back to the ship or vice versa.

There is not alot of shopping in Dominica except for local crafts. I took the river tubing tour; it was fun, just beware to take a good shower afterward. The local on the river banks cook, do laundy, take baths there. I probably will do the rainforest tour or sail and snorkel next time. I also took the tour to Emerald Pool; I did not like it personally due to the long drive and the pool isn't that great.

If you like shopping, don't miss the shopping in Aruba. Lots of shops there. If you can visit the Natural Bridge and have a drink at the California Lighthouse.
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much. Everyone is so helpful on this site!

I think we have decided to do the sky tram in St. Thomas and some sort of Rain Forest Trip in Dominica. I don't like the idea of the river tubing anymore!

I think I would like to go snorkeling in Barbados...anyother suggestions for Barbados?

Aruba lots and lots of possibilites!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ginnyanne Send a message via Yahoo to ginnyanne

In St. Thomas we went to Magens Bay which was absolutely beautiful. It's supposed to be one of the best beaches in the world. The only problem is that there are lots of jellyfish. We also went up to Paradise Point. We took an open air bus thing...yeah that was an experience. Have fun!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Shore Excursions Questions!!! Please Help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbixby

Aruba-
We are thinking De Palm Island Snorkeling b/c it is only 3.5 hours and we would have time to walk around the town after the excursion OR the 4 X 4 Cross Country Jeep Adventure (which is what my DH really wants to do)

We love the beach, being outdoors and having lots of fun! Any suggestions are welcomed. THanks!
I stayed at the Sonesta (which runs boat shuttles from the hotel to De Palm Island) and I'm a big fan of that beach and the snorkeling there. The snorkeling is so good, you don't even need to do it off a boat. You can just swim out to great snorkeling areas. I wonder if it would be better just to get in a cab and head to the Sonesta and do all of that without a costly excursion. It's also right near the center of town and a good place to walk around.

edit - I may be confusing De Palm Island with Sonesta Island. Sonesta Island is the one with the Plane Wreck that you can swim to right from the beach and see some great things. De Palm is close by and you don't need a boat shuttle to reach. I do recommend Sonesta Island though and it has good concessions as well.
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Passenger

First of all congratulations on your 10th anniversary. Make sure you let your waiters know in the dining room.

This was our most favorite cruise out of 5!

I think your plans for St. Thomas are perfect. We decided to take a taxi on our own and our driver was very informative. He recommended Coki beach as it was a little less busy so we spent the afternoon there.

In Dominica we were very fortunate to have a friend there visiting his mom the same week, so he met us at the ship and took us our own tour. I personally loved the Emerald pool. With the Carnival tour, they just kind of walked to it and took pictures. We jumped in and had a nice long swim.

It rained for us in Barbados so we just did some shopping as our tour was cancelled.

Ahhhh......Aruba! This is our most favorite place on earth! We took this cruise with friends who had been there before and I was concerned that we would be disappointed from the build up they gave it....not a chance. It is very clean and very friendly (and expensive) and simple to navagate around (the divi divi trees all point towards the ship). I would highly recommend renting your own Jeep. When you pull into port, the rental agency is right at the end of the gangway. We paid $80 for the day (18 mths ago) and Carnival was charging $80 for a 4 hour trip. We followed the tour around to all the tourist spots and then ventured out on our own. If you can find signs that say "CONCHI" follow them (you will think you are in the middle of nowhere). That means natural pool and it was Aruba's best keep secret.

Have a blast!
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the advice on Aruba. I have to admit that I am most excited about going there. I worked in Travel for years BK (before kids!) and have always wanted to go to Aruba....never made it. I always ended taking the tour bus with 65 seniors to Branson!

I should mention that I have cruised before, but my dh has not and since it has been over 10 years since I have I don't really count it!

Okay here is my question you mentioned renting our own jeep in Aruba - do they have a guided tour or can we just go on our own? We won't get lost will we? Dumb question I realize.

This is what we have decided:

St Thomas - Sky Tram/Shopping/Beach
Dominica - Champagne Snorkle
Barbados - Still up in air - any suggestions?

Aruba 4X4 Jeef Adventure \\

Thanks for all your help!
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Hi again,

No question is a dumb question Yes they do have the guided tours. They will couple you up so there are 4 in the jeep and the cost of the tour is more per couple than if you rented your own. Also, it is only a couple of hours long. If you rent your own, you have it for the day.
There is no possible way you can get lost on this small island. For one thing, it is only 6 miles wide and 20 miles long. The other thing is the Divi-Divi trees grow up about 4 feet and then sideways pointing south because of the trade winds. The way the trees grow is the way to your ship (they will tell you this on the ship). You can be out in the middle of nowhere and all you have to do is look at the trees to find out which way to go. Also, the locals are very friendly when you ask them where to find something.

Have fun!
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

In St. Thomas, you can go to Magen's Bay Beach. It's beautiful there and the sparkling turquoise water is crystal clear. It's also one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by National Geographic (says in the Carnival brochure).

The only problem, though, is that there are no fresh-water showers. After swimming, you can only use semi-salt water showers. It's a bit uncomfortable because the dried salt makes you feel sticky and stings your skin. But, all in all, Magen's Bay Beach is still has a calm, relaxing atmosphere (there are no commercial buildings on the property). It would be excellent for your 10th year anniversary.