Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Default Anyone taken the 12 day Grand Mediterranean cruise?

Hello all-

My first post We are thinking about taking this cruise from Rome next year, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, this is a fantastic site!!!!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
First Mate

Which one is this?

Hubby and I are talking about doing the Mediterranean, but off the top of my head, I don't remember how many days it is.

I know there are two "repositioning" cruises -- one that leaves from Florida and goes transatlantic and hitting a few Med ports, ending up in Rome...I think that is in early Spring. And then in the late fall there is the return.

But in between those there are "western" and "eastern" Med cruises, that begin and end in Rome and hit a lot more ports. Those are what hubby and I are looking at. We're leaning toward the "eastern" cruise.

I'd love to get more info from anyone having done one of these Carnival cruises......are the cruises themselves as casual as we're used to, or more formal (for some reason, I imagine that they would be more formal simply because they're in Europe -- weird, huh?)? Exactly how warm (or cold) does the Med area get in, say, September? What about the water itself? We usually go snorkeling on shore excursions, but we've always gone to tropical locations. While I think of Italy, Dubrovnik, and the Greek islands, etc., as being warm, I don't think of them as being "tropical"....and I've never really heard of anyone snorkeling in Venice!

Information, please!
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to l11432

I'm taking it next month -if I ever get my tickets. My travel agent
(Skyauction /Magical Holdays-NY)keeps saying she'll check with Carnival and Carnival won't talk to me because I'm booked with a travel agent! In the meantime, they have had my money for 2 months and I'm still waiting for my ticket! Next time, I'll probably book direct with the Cruise Company
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by l11432
I'm taking it next month -if I ever get my tickets. My travel agent
(Skyauction /Magical Holdays-NY)keeps saying she'll check with Carnival and Carnival won't talk to me because I'm booked with a travel agent! In the meantime, they have had my money for 2 months and I'm still waiting for my ticket! Next time, I'll probably book direct with the Cruise Company
Oh my, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! We've had the same problems in the past when we've booked through a travel agent. One cruise was going to be a family reunion and my brother-in-law's tickets came THE DAY BEFORE we were to leave! Our came, I think about 5 days before we were to leave. I thought even THAT was too close for comfort. Keep calling your travel agent -- the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!! I want you to go so you can come back and tell us about the cruise!
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Hi l11432,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Please DO NOT PANIC !

Most documents come less than a month before you sail, so you should get them.

As long as you have your booking number and have filled out your online documents you should have no problems. While it's wonderful to have those documents in your hands, you don't really need them to board.

Have a wonderful cruise and let us know when you get those docs !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
As long as you have your booking number and have filled out your online documents you should have no problems. While it's wonderful to have those documents in your hands, you don't really need them to board.
That's interesting (and good!) to know.

If one books through a travel agent, but the entire package is through Carnival -- meaning airlines, hotel stays, rental car (if applicable)....and you don't get your documents, would the "you don't really need them" still hold true? Would the airline board you, the hotel put you up, and the rental car company give you your car?
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Hello Terri;
We've never taken that cruise either, however the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) was born in Sicily, and I've taken a number of cruises in the Med, (compliments of Uncle Sam). We've been looking at the Carnival Med cruises as well, and would like more info too. I have been to Venice a number of times, and don't think you'd want to SCUBA or snorkle there. The raw sewerage, in many cases is dumped right into the water, so swimming there, at lease for me, unless they've cleaned up a lot, would be out of the question.
I'll be watching this post to see if anyone has more info on these cruises. Have a great time.

Ken