Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Passenger

Default Okay - I am FREAKING out

Yes, I am now officially freaking out. Aftering reading the recent posting of the review of the Carnival Destiny.

My dh and I are booked on the Destiny in December and now I am worried. It is our first cruise and I want it to be a good experience. After reading that review...I am worried. What should I do???? This is our 10th anniversary and we have saved and worked hard for this cruise..it is our "dream vacation" We have always wanted to visit St. Thomas and Aruba and the chance to do both in one week is awesome. Please someone ease my mind and tell me that the ship isn't that dirty or that the food isn't that bad and we will have a good time...

Jen
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Jen People write reviews that reflect themselves. That means if they can only find fault in life, there review will be that way too. I can find you 20 other reviews or where someone is talking about your ship, and it will be perfect. Well, not perfect. That is a very key word. Some people expect it to be perfect. Nothing is, except those people who think they are. Do you have a perfect house? Do you fix perfect meals each night? Neither do they, but if your family love what you do, and doesn't nit pick everything you do, then all of you are happy right.

Keep looking for reviews. Find one that makes you feel better. They are out there.

Everything will be fine.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Thank you. That is what I needed to hear. I do not expect it to be perfect-- God knows with two kids under 6 my house isn't. I just want it to be nice and relaxing and most of all FUN!
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It will be. You have to make it that way. Put those babies in the capable hands of the camp workers. Get an unbrella drink. and then take a nap. I remember when mine were that age. A nap was worth it's weight in gold.

Let us know if there is something else we can help you with.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree with Luanne, you can read two entirely different reviews on the same ship, and if you go with an open mind and know that you will have fun, you will!

Have a great time!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I will bet you $10 you come back saying not only was it good, but that it was far better than you ever expected. If you have never cruised before you are in for a treat, whether it is Carnival or any other cruise line. Cruising is great, and the vast majority of people who cruise once do it again, and sometimes again and again...
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Passenger

Well actually the kids are staying home with grandma and grandpa so the nap will be at the pool with a bucket of beer between us!
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Passenger

You do not have anything to worry about. My dh and I went on the Destiny in January 2005, it was also our first cruise and it was also our 10th anniversary! I had read some bad reviews and was nervous just like you.

We had the best time ever! The itinerary just can't be beat and the food, service and everything about the ship was just so wonderful.

We DEFINITELY will do the Destiny again. There's something special about it since it was our first. Mostly though, it's because we had such a great time on that ship. I hope you will too!

Miracle - February 2008
Liberty - November 2006
Valor - January 2006
Destiny - January 2005
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to punk

Jen - My very first cruise was on the carnival tropicale, which had just recently been in the news - they were stranded at sea with no water or electricity, helicopters flying over were showing people with messages written on sheets about how awful it was. Luckily, I didnt realize that was 'my' ship until afterwards. If I had gone onboard with those news reports in my mind I'd probably have been miserable. I had a great time AND I must add - I later heard reviews from people who were on that cruise and guess what? their comments were 'well stuff happens, just relax and enjoy what you can' - I don't want to freak you out and make you think you'll be stranded at sea I just want to say that even in the 'worst' conditions some people will have a good time and even in the best conditions, some people wont!
Your cruise will be great and I'm sure it will be the first of many - there is nothing like it!!!!

Andrea
October 2006 Carnival Miracle
October 2009 Carnival Legend
[/
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Passenger

I am also a little worried after reading that review... but we have an open mind and we are still looking forward to it!

It will be our first cruise... on Feb 11th for our 20 years together anniversary (15yrs married). We also splurged on a balcony cabin

I am really interested in hearing your review Jen and I do hope things improve on the Destiny in the meantime.
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Captain

Two of the Carnival ships we sailed were a lot older than Destiny. I wish someone woulda told us not to have such a FABULOUS time! It's absurd to imagine Carnival would allow any ship to appear/operate out of line with corporate standards. The worst ship in the fleet would provide you with the vacation of a lifetime. Your biggest worry SHOULD BE, how yah gonna pay for cruise #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. See yah in St. Thomas. I'll be the applehead in the bright shirt, obnoxious shorts and sandals havin a ball.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Passenger

Oh my gosh! You guys are so nice. Thanks for all the good comments. You are right and to be honest my dh and I can have fun in a paper bag if we had to. I will definetly look for you in St. Thomas we will be the ones looking for the nearest beach!

I will definetly post a review when we get back. I am so dang excited and can't believe it is coming so fast. Thank you all for putting my mind at ease!
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Captain

We just went on the Celebration which is the smallest ships & next to the oldest in the fleet.... I did read a few questionable reviews but most were positive.... We had a GREAT cruise on the smaller ship as we have been spoiled by the Conquest beforehand..... Go up to top of this page & Click (Ship Reviews), Click on Carnival & then Destiney.... There will be many reviews to look at plus some good tips for your cruise.... Bob & Kathy

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM
First Mate

We were on the Carnival Destiny a couple of years ago. While the Destiny wasn't our favorite ship for many reasons, we probably wouldn't have even realized the things that bothered us if this had been our first cruise. The food was still amazing, and the service wonderful.

One of the couples traveling in our group met the chef onboard early in the cruise, so he came out to our table that evening, which drew the maitre 'd to our table, which drew both our servers over. Service had already been amazing before this special attention, but, after that, our whole table was treated like royalty every night, with the chef and the maitre'd stopping by almost every evening.

The key to a good time is overlooking things that would annoy you and reveling in the things that delight you. And there are so many things to delight you on every cruise, that there's no reason to allow the annoyances to ruin your trip.

When you return, write a good review, including both, so if there's the same annoyance on every reviewers' report, that another traveler can't live with, they'll know to avoid this ship.

You'll enjoy the itinerary. Be sure to visit the Renaissance Hotel in Aruba, where they have a boat that drives right into the lobby of the hotel to pick up guests and others to visit that private island!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Even though I had issues with the ship, We all had a wonderfull time. If it was my review you guys are talking about, I tried to make sure to let you all know we still had a blast! I don't let the small stuff get to me, the ports were awesome!!!
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
First Mate

You don't want to take your first cruise on the Best ship. Then you would have nothing to look forward to.

In fact, start off with an inside cabin, then in later cruises get outside, then balcony. One you have a balcony you can never go back.
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaky77
Even though I had issues with the ship, We all had a wonderfull time. If it was my review you guys are talking about, I tried to make sure to let you all know we still had a blast! I don't let the small stuff get to me, the ports were awesome!!!
That is exactly what I got out of your review. I think it would hold true for any experience. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
It will be. You have to make it that way.
While I pretty much agree with Abraham Lincoln's observation that people are pretty much as happy as they make up their minds to be, I have to admit. I have never had to work very hard to have a fabulous, fantastic and altogether wonderful time on any of the Carnival cruises/ships we've been on. And that goes all the way back to the Carnivale, back in the 80's.