Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148
Default Freeport or Nassau

Hey Everyone.

Which port do you like best? which port has more to offer, better beaches, shopping, restaurants, etc..??

Anyone have pics of Freeport? i've been to nassau and our next cruise goes to Freeport, was interested in knowing a lil about it!

Thanks,
David.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I Stay on the ship when we get to freeport.
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Admiral

IMO both are the armpits of the world.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I tend to agree with the previous posters. Nassau has a little bit to do other than gamble, but Freeport has NOTHING. I too stay aboard the ship.

Ken
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148

ahhh..thanks for the feedback..

Just not what i was HOPING to read.
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Captain

There's definitely nothin at the pier in Freeport. We took a glass bottomed boat excursion which left from a little market area on the other side of the island. It wasn't bad, but Nassau has much more than Freeport.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Let me explain a lil more for ya about why I feel this way about freeport. at the pier it's an ugly sight to see. abandon mines and cargo ships. theres even a sunken ship that sticks halfway out of the beautiful bule water right there at the pier.
The closest thing to do off the ship is the little shop right at the pier. when I go out of the USA I want to be fairly close (usually walking or running distance) away from the Vessel that will bring me back to the great ol USA.
At Freeport I think it's a 3 to 8 mile Taxi ride to get to the happening town. I got off the ship the first time and was surounded by people asking me if I needed any smoke or coke. Just as 144 out of 145 students aprove of Aruba for Vacations. I choose to give Freeport a big two thumbs down. for fear of my life.

Nassau
The View is totally different still get the druggies as soon as you get off the ship. there seems to be a more comforting atmosphere there, maybe it's cause theres so many more people around.
I grab a taxi to Atlantis. There is a fixed reasonable price. I tride the boat ride but it leaves you with yet a mile walk in the heat to get to Atlantis.
The Taxi is door to door. I usually tell the cabbie to drop me off at the Beach entrance..take my back pack hit the beach for a few hours then walk a block to Atlantis Gamble then Grab a cab back.

I cruise alone each year and kinda just fell into a routine that is within my comfort zone for being out of the USA. I dont go for any excursions unless Im traveling with someone,

Thats my story and Im stickin to it.

Others will say they had a great time at Freeport and thats great I hope you find out for yourself and not rely on these postings. who knows you may just love it.... either way your still on a cruise and it's better than the best day at work.

Me
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Admiral

A long time ago, we stayed in Freeport. We had an absolute blast there. We went on this Pirate booze cruise that took us to a private beach. We had some great food there and the beaches were lovely. What I do remember is when we pulled up in the ship you could smell flowers.. tons of flowers in the air. And the flowers we saw where bright huge and beautiful. We went to the botanical garden and it was amazing. We have picture at one of the places where the staff was so friendly and they let my DH behind the bar. I don't know if its still there but it was called Cafe Valencia.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011