Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival charges Sales Tax in ports!

Me & hubby recently cruised with Carnival from NY to New England & Canada. We always present our credit card info upon embarkation and scan our account statements for obvious errors (i.e. charges for purchases we did not make, or credits not applied correctly, etc) Upon returning home I compared our "paper receipts" with each item on the statement and discovered that we were charged SALES TAX on 3 occasions in 3 different cocktail lounges while on-board. I called a customer svc rep at Carnival who could not explain the charges; he kept telling me I was reading the "tips/gratuity" column - when I advised him that I was referring to the TAX column, he again started to argue with me as if I were an idiot! I asked for a supervisor, who could not explain the charges either and suggested I write to Carnival in Florida, to the President's office (I did). After approximately 5 weeks with no reply, I sent an e-mail to Carnival asking that they at least have the courtesy to answer my inquiry, if in fact they had an answer. About two weeks after that I received a letter from Carnival stating that their policy is this: When a passenger ship is docked in port on any U.S. mainland, province or within U.S. territorial waters, any "taxable" purchase is charged to the passenger using the appropriate tax rate for that particular port! If you decide to stay on the ship (docked) and, for instance, have order a drink (at the bar or in the dining room, room srvice, etc) or buy something on-board (if any shop is open), your account will be assessed the appropriate reciprocal sales tax rate in that port city. NYC rate is 8.375%, Boston is 5%, Maine 4.5%, and so on! I questioned the "policy" asking how they track, report and remit these collected "taxes" to the finance agencies in each city/port - the reply I received was something like, 'we have a very sophisticated accounting system - too involved to go into detail'. End of story. I am a retired bookkeeper with many years of experience with interstate and interagency reciprocal tax reporting....it's not that difficult to comprehend!!! Believe me, it's not the amount of the charge that concerned me, it was minimal compared to what I spend on cruise trips; I felt that it was just another "sucker-punch" to the unsuspecting passenger's wallet; I doubt any of the "taxes" they collect go into any other pocket except theirs! Just a heads-up to fellow cruisers....check your in-cabin statements often, especially on days when your ship is docked in any American territory and you decide to cool off with the Drink-of-the-Day before the ship leaves port; what's next??? Rationing the toilet paper????? I'd like to hear from any other cruisers who have experienced this new "policy" or if you have any comments regarding this topic. Thanks for letting me blow off this steam....

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:38 AM
First Mate

#1. You could have picked up on this really fast if you would have checked the reciept you get after every drink or purchase (it is itemised with sales tax separate).

#2. If your to busy check at that time, you should reconcile the bill and match your reciepts to the final tab that they give you the last night.

#3. I don't know about the other cruise lines but RCCL is now doing the same thing.

#4. As a retired bookeeper, it would seem that you would pay more attention to your onboard charges.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:51 AM
First Mate

I thought everyone knew they charged tax while in a U.S. port.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Hi beachbumMom,

As the others have said, this is not a new policy. Until you're in international waters, the state you sail from collects sales taxes on anything you buy (which would only be drinks since the shops are only open in international waters).

I agree, it's not much, but cruisers should be told about it.

I don't think they'll be rationing TP anytime soon, but you never know !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014