Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: tanning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
I overheard a 28 year old at my health club talking to a friend of hers about how she can't miss her weekly tanning booth session. I turned around to look at her, and she already has wrinkled, leathered looking skin but because she "tan" she thinks she looks hot. Really ignorant.
Yeah....who wants to look like "Magda" from 'There's Something About Mary'....??

Old February 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Captain

thanks ya'll. I feel better. I tried the spray on tan once and that turned me wierd..i got very streaked and even tho i put stuff on my feet and hands i had dark rims around where i did and didnt have the protector stuff on. It was horrible. Had to go to work explaining that i had an unfortunate tanning incident. Tanning beds give me a rash..and i can sit under the lamp for 20 minutes and not burn, just rash out.

I dont burn that easy either, i mean sometimes i'll burn, other times i can lay out in the sun for 2 hours and not get a thing. I layed out 1-2 hours a day for 3 weeks before our florida trip and got a slight burn one day and nothing else lol. I even used (no kidding ) TAN EXCELLERATOR!

I truley have never seen a person fairer than me. Maybe on TV. It really does look special . If i pull up my pant leg you can barely see where my leg starts and my white socks end. Nurses at work love it...they all think they are white till i show them.

Funniest of all...im not considered caucasion..im american indian LMAO. blue eyes blonde hair, white white white. I wear capris most of the time in summer and use a tan lotion from knees down...

as for losing wt, ive lost 100lbs on atkins and low carb and kept it off, but am slowly losing another 15lbs or so and i'll stop.

thanks again!!! i'm glad im more normal than i think i am
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseg
The Sacred Heart Diet. I dropped 14 lbs in one week and by using a modified version have kept it off for 9 months.
This is also the diet that the military will give you if you are over weight and going through their preboot camp workout to get in shape. I tried this with my friend when she was getting ready to go into the army. If you can stick it out it works great. I on the other hand, had a little less will power than everyone else Carla
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Captain

Default i cant believe i just met you and am about to show you this!

like i said ive lost 100lbs on atkins, and kept it off for 5 yrs. you can lose up to 15-30lbs in the first 2 weeks depending on what you have to lose..usually atleast 10% of your total body wt,. So if you wiegh 250lbs you could easily lose 25lbs in 2 weeks, but you have to be strict.

I am on premaitenence so i eat more now, i eat fruit (not a lot, my diet usually has 1 whole grapefruit and 4 strawberries a day) lots of meat, some cheese, salads every day with blue cheese dressing, black olives, peppers and raw veggies.

I still do no grains, no rice, no potatoes, flour or sugar.

im a meat girl so i dont miss it that diet that ya'll were talking about looks like a diuretic diet..dumping lots of water (which you do on any diet the first week or so )

anyway, this has worked great for me. I know a lot of friends who had lap band surgery (including hubby) and they havent lost much. for grins i'll show a semi before and after (the before is NOT my highest..im about 240 or so, i was 270) Atkins has been awsome for me and brought my cholesterol to stellar levels!

im already embarrassed....dont laugh at me lol

dh has also lost about 50lbs!

Old February 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yeoman

Congrats nurseypoo5!!! You look so wonderful in the second picture.
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Fat, I think Not, you look great!! I should be so fat, and we are giving you tips, I think we need yours. You look beautiful, be proud of how you look , you have really worked hard and it has paid off, Cozzette
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Hi nurseypoo5,

I think your pictures are wonderful. As someone else who has "gained", "lost", "gained", "lost", etc., etc. , I have to say you and your DH (and the children ) look great.

I have to say that you don't look at all like I pictured you from your earlier posts.

I am "fluffy" and have learned to live with it after many years of "dieting", but you and DH look so good!

Try to see yourself as you are, not as you were !

(Actually, I look quite a bit like your "before" picture, but with brown and gray hair and quite a few more years .)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Passenger

I'm going on my first cruise in October and I'm in the process of losing weight now. I'm doing some weight training with cardio to help firm up. I do plan to be a smaller size when I go on the cruise, but I also plan to get a spray tan before I go. I would say do some weight training, get some cute clothes and a spray tan and have a good time

And congratulations on the weight loss!

Christina in GA
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Try to see yourself as you are, not as you were !

(Actually, I look quite a bit like your "before" picture, but with brown and gray hair and quite a few more years .)
I guess its hard, I still see me wearing a size 26..believe me..i look better with clothes on , its the saggy skin i hate so much...but your right, i need to get OVER IT!

My daughter looks 12, but she is 22 yrs old, and btw, i feel ya on the brown/grey hair. Gotta love love love peroxide!

You all have been so kind i'm kind of ashamed of my whining now...I'll go and enjoy, but dont mind me if i dont partake in the topless sunbathing!!!(neither will my hubby i'm SURE of that!)
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Passenger

OMG!!! I am leaving in a few weeks and have the same concerns as some of you. This really helped me to read this. I have lost 23 lbs working out and eating right and I do have a swimsuit, but I was worried about my legs. I hate the cellulite. My husband could care less he says I am beautiful, but I was worried at others staring. I feel great going from a 20 to a 16 and now I can know I will have a blast!!!!!

Jewel Of The Seas 04/01/2007

Majesty of the Seas 11/17/2003
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Both you and your husband look great! Congratulations for both of you.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you are concerned about the whiteness of your skin, I would definitely try the spray tan at the salons. Start going about 10days before hand and try to go at least 2-3 times.

You obviously have problems with conventional beds and no luck with the at home application, so definitely try a professional. The spray on is like airbrushing. Very natural looking. That is what I am planning on doing for my cruise in November, like you I am very fair. I am a redhead naturally and fair skinned. I just am concerned about skin cancer so I just am not for the fake bake.

Also quit concerning yourself about your body. It is literally all in your head. You have done a great job! It is a journey that we all will have to take one day be proud that you are on it and accomplishing it with such rigor and success!

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Admiral

sun tanning = skin cancer & aging

I am proud of my white skin! People sun can kill you and also ages you.
My dad had skin cancer three times twice not bad the last round was on his nose. He had a 1/4 of his nose removed due to cancer. He was tanning in his younger years.
so i say why do i want to go through having skin cancer and why would i want to have extra wrinkles due to sun. it is bad enough we all have to age why age sooner.
if you look at famous people very few have tans they are white as can be-
angelina jolie - pale
madoona - white
top models - all pale
bald brittney - white
the olsen twins - pale
the few stars that are tan cheat with a spray on tan.

i'm crusing in 6 weeks i'm in my late 30's and will have a lounge chair in the shade with sunglasses and cap on. and of course spf 45!

tan???? why would i want to damage my skin.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
First Mate

nursey,
How about this? We can sit on deck together and see who can win the "who can stay the whitest" contest!
Actually, though, I grew up in Arizona and had to be very careful (burned all the time!); I went to college in Hawaii and easily tanned! Maybe something to do with that beautiful, tropical sun?! I plan to bring my spf 45 anyway though!

How's this for before and during pics? (Now I'm motivated to take the rest of it off before our 4B's cruise!) From size 24 to 10!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Wow, Nursey and Lifeisschool! Way to go! Congratulations to both of you. I've lost, gained, lost, gained, etc., etc. Who knows where I will be when we sail! I'll sit with y'all and we'll have a great time! Can't wait!

Here's a pic of DH (Don) and me!

Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Admiral

I also have the sunburn problems. I had melanoma in '81 and am proud to be a survivor! Even though my hair is dark now, I had red hair as a young child so I was/am prone to sunburns. I just cover up as much as possible. When I was doing the second jobs in the sun, I would wear long sleeved shirts, even in the summer, and my department issued cowboy hat.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Beginner

This post came out at the most perfect time! I too have been up and down on my weight. We are going on our first cruise in October, but I went shopping today for a black dress/gown for the formal dinners (because they have great sales right now). HOW DEPRESSING THAT WAS!!! A roll here - a roll there - rolls I never knew I had. Needless to say, I came home empty-handed and very depressed. Nothing looks right, and nothing comes in the size to fit me plus I'm only 5 ft., so everything is so long. I was walking last summer and lost about 15 lbs., but hibernating in this NY weather all winter, I have put it all back on and then some. I'm 61, and each year it is harder and harder to lose it. You girls look GREAT - keep up the good work. Too bad we couldn't ALL be on the same cruise!!! Wouldn't that be great! About the tanning - my daughter has always had fair skin with freckles. She is VERY health oriented and has always taken good care of her skin. No tanning, just spf and lotion. Actually, it's becoming more fashionable now because of the awareness of sun related problems. Whatever is right for you. Everyone have a great cruise!
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Passenger

You girls look great!!!!! Congrats on the weight loss!!
Victory 2008
Fascination 2009

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to vacation girl 1970
Default Im Fat Too

I am 170 lbs and 5' 6" (size 14) I feel huge, and I have been busting my tail by walking and tanning and I am not lighter in weight, and no darker in color. I hope there are other chunky women on our cruise too, so I am not the only one!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Passenger

Of course there are HOT babes. There are more normal/average babes (I think you fit in that category).

I too am fat......so what.

I always observe VACATION RULE #1 which is....I'm never gonna see these people again.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to vacation girl 1970
Default You're Beautifil

Nursypoo, I think you are beautiful!!
My probelm is that I need to "graduate" to a one-piece and I just wont admit it!! Instead I just keep hanging out of my 2 piece suits and complain about being too chunky. My cruise is only a few days away, and more suits are not in my budget...but believe me, after the cruise I am breaking down & getting some one -piece suits, and I will stop worrying about the chubby tummy!!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: I'm fat

I am fat too, now, but I'm in the process of losing weight and have been since last November. I've gone down about 2 dress sizes now and hope to continue before the cruise in October.

Currently I'm doing Body for Life, but will be changing my diet to the Eat Clean diet and increasing my weight lifting routines.

I also plan to do a spray tan at a salon before we leave. I'm also going to have a leg wax done as well. I want to look as good as possible by October.
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Admiral

Routonc, the Body for Life book is a great book, you've made a great choice as Bill knows his stuff. I was on it and also the body building and it was terrific.

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Default Re: tanning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellet1959
well them most the southerners will look older, wrinkled and likely have more occurences of skin and other related cancers. Health educaiton hasn't apparently reached the south.

Just because it appears "everyone else" is tanned doesn't mean you have to do the same. Most new york models use fake tanners, they don't sit in the sun or booths.

I overheard a 28 year old at my health club talking to a friend of hers about how she can't miss her weekly tanning booth session. I turned around to look at her, and she already has wrinkled, leathered looking skin but because she "tan" she thinks she looks hot. Really ignorant.

People think their kids should play outdoors all day and get a "healthy" tan to impress others. How stupid is it to think you have to "impress others" anyway. Low self-esteem in action here.

It IS common knowledge that a tan is NOT healthy. The only exposure you need to the sun is what little time you spend outdoor on the way to and from home, school, work, the mall, etc. and it's recommended to wear sunblock (not sunscreen, but sunBLOCK) then as well.

I wish you well on your cruise, and the most important thing is to please YOURSELF, not worry about any other people. Remember, - most people are only concerned about themselves, not you or anyone else.
Did you know that being overweight WILL impact your health unlike the POSSIBLITY of having problems from tanning? I'm a nurse and have worked with cancer patients and with the general population. I can tell you I've seen hundreds of people affected by their weight and a few affected by melanoma. Some of the melanoma victims were african americans who had lesions on places that I know had never seen the sun.
Am I advocating tanning beds, absolutely not. Do I send my child outside to get a "healthy tan" never. But I just think you need to put things in perspective a little bit. The sun will age you faster, but not everyone who has a tan will wrinkle or get melanoma. Why is it when someone is overweight they get all the support in the world to feel good about themselves no matter what but when someone mentions a tan they get blasted? Just a thought. Oh, by the way, I live in the south and have a college degree and am very well educated.

OP, you look absolutely GORGEOUS! I hope you have a fantastic time on your cruise!
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Arrgghh!!

Old March 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Captain

lol i cant believe this thread hasnt died yet...but if it makes anyone feel better i'm up 8lbs since i wrote this !

spring break, meant break from dieting and wow howdy did i ever!

oh well back to the drawing board

pffffffft, all of you are right, thin i'll never be (unless i develope an eating disorder), and the only way i dont sag is if im hanging upside down by my ankles...which i dont get to do often. snort. White, ya betcha.

I'm over it. I figure there is always someone whiter and lumpier...i'll just stick close to the lumpy people and not stand next to people like my 22 yr old daughter who wears a size 2 LMAO.

oh and i agree, as i get older i also have started the "pffft i wont see these people again!" and if i do, they must have liked me enough to want to see me again and dont give a rats butt what i look like!