Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
First Mate

Default divorce issues (i.e. custody papers?)

I'm divorced and just wondered if anyone brougt their divorce papers along to show at the ship and if anyone asked about it if you were travelling wiht your kids and no other parent. I know the laws to protect kids have border guards checking with men driving along with kids across borders and wondered if anyone has experiences like this on the ships. My Travel Agent advised me to bring a copy of my divorce papers just in case. Any similar experiences? I have sole custody.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Passenger

My TA advised us to bring our marriage license, so that they can see why my last name is different on my drivers license from what is recorded on my birth certificate!
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

the best way would be to bring a certified copy of the custody agreement
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Passenger

Hi

My daughter has the same situation and we were on the Sensation in January. We had one other kicker...ex was supposed to give permission for kids to go out of the state of Florida. He gives hard time rather than permission. My daughter brought some paperwork and birth certificates. We had no problem. Several months ago I had read that don't offer what they don't ask for. Just give them the booking package and birth certificates or passports. If they ask you for other documentation have it handy. Me on the other hand almost didn't get back into the country. I had missplaced my passport in my luggage and couldn't find it. Thank goodness for an understanding customs agent, I guess I answered his questions fast enough for him.

We had no problem with birth certificates and booking docs. Go prepared, chances are you won't have to bring out the divorce papers.

Have a great cruise don't forget to check out the Atlantis Hotel while in Nassau. If you do it on your own it will cost about $6 p/p oneway. My kids really enjoyed it.

Lonni
Sensation 2007
Sensation 2008
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
First Mate

thanks everyone and Lonni, we are planning to check out Atlantis, but I think we'll go with the excursion as if we're late the ship will wait for us. I'd better be safe then left behind! We're also doing the glass bottom boat in Freeport. I'll wait another month or two to pay as it's not till July 29th
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Captain

Michelle,

You really can do Atlantis on your own. The ferry is right across the street from the Straw Market and goes back and forth between Atlantis and the dock. It is much cheaper to do it on your own. There are also taxis that can take you back to the ship, if necessary.

Have fun!!

Libragirl
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am not divorced, but travelling solo with my kids. Just to be on the safe side, I am taking a notarized form signed by my spouse giving me permission to travel out of the country with my children (found on most any and all websites, including CruiseDiva.com). Yo probably need this - expecially in Mexico, and I would call Carnival right away about this.

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I travel frequently with my children and luckily have no problems getting my ex to sign anything. It all seems to depend on who is checking you in whether or not they ask for anything. Sometimes I've been asked and other times I haven't. If your custody papers say you can't take your child from the State of Florida without your ex's permission, then you would either need to get his permission or a court order. If the person checking you in asks to see it and reads that order they most likely won't let your child board unless you have one or the other. Good luck!
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to David from Gastonia

I have taken my step kids 12 and 16 with there mother on all of our trips. Every time we have there dad sign saying that it is OK. Know one has ever asked to look at it. But we will always take something with us just in case.
Caribbean Princess 7-2006
Inspiration 4-2007
MARINER OF THE SEAS 7-2007
Glory
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Passenger

I traveled solo with my son last summer on the Senstion. We had a notarized letter from my husband stating that he could travel with me and gave permission to leave the country. I was never asked for the document, but better safe than sorry. 8)

Enjoy your cruise!

OzzyMom (Sara)
Fascination - 7/2006

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM
Admiral

In years past, I just carried my custody agreement. And now my son is 18, so it is no longer an issue.

However, travel has changed significantly (especially these past couple of years) so I would just have him sign a "___________has permission to take my son/daughter __________ out of the country."

Have him sign it and just attach it to the custody papers so you will always have it.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just received my cruise docs (inserte me doing the Doc Dance here..) and you MUST have this if you are going to get off the ship in Mexico. Call Carnival!

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise