Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Default Valor

Hi, I have been on the Valor twice so if there are any questions that I could help you with...ask away..

Bella
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Beginner

What is the earliest time you can board in Port of Miami? We are on the July 1st Eastern Caribbean sailing.

When in port - are the meal times still the same or is it open dining on those days?
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS296
What is the earliest time you can board in Port of Miami? We are on the July 1st Eastern Caribbean sailing.

When in port - are the meal times still the same or is it open dining on those days?
The wife and I arrived @ the port around 10.45 Sunday morning. We were onboard and eating lunch by noon. It was the easiest time we ever had in getting onboard.

Your evening dinner times for the main dining rooms will stay the same all week.
The Lido deck Buffet area- Is pretty much the same too. They did serve breakfast a couple mornings earlier for those having early excursions.

Happy Cruising to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Did you feel it was crowded in any areas, with so many people on the ship? Been on 3 other Carnival ships, but this will be the largest one for us. Thanks!
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Captain

Yes it did crowded at times on the Lido deck, mid and aft sections.Usually starts about mid morning and goes on into the afternoon. Which this is to be expected.

Also in the aft buffet dining sections. On your capers, it will tell you when Breakfast will be served. If its 7.00 am, by 8.00 -8.30 it is crowded. Lines are getting very long. So, go early if you can. And the same goes for lunch.

For a nice quiet breakfast, with no lines on sea days, go to the Main Dining room.( on your Capers, it will tell you which one is open ) Its open seating, and you may even get a seat by a window . Thats always nice.

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by David West
Yes it did crowded at times on the Lido deck, mid and aft sections.Usually starts about mid morning oand goes on into the afternoon. Which this is to be expected.

Also in the aft buffet dining sections. On your capers, it will tell you when Breakfast will be served. If its 7.00 am, by 8.00 -8.30 its crowded. Lines are getting very long. So, go early if you can. And the same goes for lunch.

For a nice quiet breakfast, with no lines, go to the Main Dining room.( on your Capers, it will tell you which one is open ) Its open seating, and you may even get a seat by the windows.

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Where did you eat when you had a shore tour and didn't have time for the full service breakfast? I always do the Lido where I can grab a quick breakfast and go, and not wait to be served. Sounds like I might need to get up earlier to eat on shore days, due to the Lido lines, huh?

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Captain

Thoth,
We are early riser and have no trouble eating before our excursions. When I mean early, I'm talking about 4am everymorning. (even on a cruise) By 7 - 7.30 am when they open the buffet lines on the Lido deck, we're already there, usually sitting outside enjoying the fresh air, and watching the sunrise.
But... , for those arriving @ the Lido Deck around 8- 8.30 will have longer lines to contend with , because thats when the majority of the people will be arriving there.
Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Bella,

We are sailing in September. Where was your cabin? What was your best experience? I've been looking at all the excursions and everything looks like so much fun!

Thanks!

Deni
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deni
Hi Bella,

We are sailing in September. Where was your cabin? What was your best experience? I've been looking at all the excursions and everything looks like so much fun!

Thanks!

Deni
Our room number was 2386. this is a Ocean View cabin. The only thing I missed on this cruise, was my balcony room. Its nothing like a balcony
I can't warn you away from any part of the Valor. They have great shows,wonderful atmosphere onboard. 8)
Where are you sailing to

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Default valor shore trips

I will be sailing on the valor in aug 2007.
What can you good folks tell me about shore excursions??
We are taking the western caribbean.
Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, isla roatan

What shore trips did you do??
Where did you book them? Thru carnival or private?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

sensation 2001
destiny 2006
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

David,

We are doing the western caribbean. We booked a cabin on the lido deck, i can't recall the # but I know it has a balcony. I'm glad to hear the good review. We asked another couple to join us on the trip.

Have you tried the zip-lines? Sitting at home I'm feeling brave. Who knows how I would feel in person. I live close to the best amusement park in the world and I'm afraid of half the coasters!

Thankks for your input!

Deni
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Captain

Deni- Who is the Zip-Lines

takevtr1- We book all of our excursions on the ship through Carnival. We usually do this the first day on the ship. Usually shortly after sailaway. I book all excursions at one time. You can do this from your cabin, on the room TV. Its very easy, and don't take long at all.

Grand Cayman- I love this Island. You can walk around and shop, and not get hassled. Thats the part I like Its been a few years since we've been there, so I can't remember the excursion we took. But we went to the town of " Hell " and the Turtle Farm, and went to the Tortega Rum Factory Store.

Belize, Costa Maya, isla roatan - Sorry, can't help you there. Hadn't been there yet.

Happy Sailing to all ;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I do have a question or two...

Decor-is it slightly over-the-top american decor or does it have toned down areas (meaning no so in-your-face american)..I am Canadian

Stage-where is it? I see where the band plays, but where is the stage that the activites are centered around?

Hurricane season/weather-what is it usually like in September, which is when I plan on going.

I am going on my own so I will pay the premium for being single in a cabin, but I do plan on picking a balcony on, I hope, verandah or Lido deck.

JTR

Holiday 1991
Carnival Victory 2007
Carnival Valor OR Carnival Triumph Sept 2007
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I do have a question or two...

Decor-is it slightly over-the-top american decor or does it have toned down areas (meaning no so in-your-face american)..I am Canadian

Stage-where is it? I see where the band plays, but where is the stage that the activites are centered around?

Hurricane season/weather-what is it usually like in September, which is when I plan on going.

I am going on my own so I will pay the premium for being single in a cabin, but I do plan on picking a balcony on, I hope, verandah or Lido deck.

JTR

Holiday 1991
Carnival Victory 2007
Carnival Valor OR Carnival Triumph Sept 2007
The Theater is on the Lobby deck forward. Its called Ivanhoe Theater.You can go to Carnival.com and go to fun ships, pick the Valor, and then deck plans.

Weather- Its very hot High 90's and close on up to the 100*F mark at times Bring plenty of sunscreen. if you notice my cruise history, that when the wife and I cruise the most. And going again this year in September.

Decor- I personally think the Valor is a beautiful ship. The theme of the ship is American Hero's and Presidents. I don't think its over bearing at all. But... Just my 2 -cents.

Happy Sailing to all ;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Passenger

David:
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was hoping someone might have book excursions privately.
We did this in Dominica while sailing on the Destiny and had the BEST tour person ever. His name is Fredos and came highly recommended via this board.

If there is anybody out there who booked tours other than via Carnival, please chime in. I would love to hear your experiences.
Thanks,
Mitch.....
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Hi Bella,
My husband and I are sailing on the Valor in April. We have a balcony room on the panorama deck. Can you tell me anything about that deck, good or bad? Also, did you order room service at all and how did that go. I was thinking of ordering coffee every morning to drink as we get ready. How is the coffee on the ship, I heard not so good. Thanks for the info.
By the way..this is our first cruise. i am excited/a wreck.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Default Reply to mitch on Private excursions

I will be sailing on the valor in aug 2007.
What can you good folks tell me about shore excursions??
We are taking the western caribbean.
Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, isla roatan

What shore trips did you do??
Where did you book them? Thru carnival or private?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Mitch
Hi Mitch my wife and I just returned from a trip on the Valor doing the same itinerary that you are doing. We could not get into Grand Cayman because the seas were rough and the tender boats were not allowed to operate.
In Isla Roatan we booked Victor Bodden Tours (private). This guy runs a class operation and was excellent are ship docked several hours early and Victor and his drivers were there to meet us. We were assigned Ollie as our driver, Victor has about 20 drivers and vehicles . Ollie spoke perfect English and gave outstanding service he knew what to do to keep us happy because he had in the past worked for Celebrity Cruise lines. Although it was raining slightly we started with the Zip lines The Zip Line he took us to was twice the size of the one Carnival offered it had roughly 25 zips..(pretty hard on the body you need to be physically fit). After the Zip lines we went to an Iguana farm and viewed the Iguanas. Ollie was very knowledgeable and was answering many questions from other tourist about the Island and Iguanas. After the Iguana farm Ollie took us to a private resort (Pineapple Bay I believe) there was a group of Younger guys and Gals from the Valor all ready at the resort. They were a bit jealous and wanted to know how we rated a SUV and a personal guide and they were stuck in a bus type van. They were also trying to open a coconut and Ollie asked them if they needed a machete they eagerly said yes! Ollie disappeared to the maintenance department and borrowed a machete for them turns out he had once worked at the resort. We then went to a small restaurant at the resort for lunch. It was quite nice we sat on the deck overlooking a small marina. The menu was basically burgers and such and reasonably priced we bought Ollie lunch. We left the resort and headed to Victors house to play around with some spider monkeys on the way Ollie asked if we wanted something to drink we said sure and he stopped at a gas station were I gave him some money and he ran in and got us some cold beers. We then stopped at the top of a hill that overlooked the ocean we bought vanilla and coffee from some roadside vendors that were set up there. We got to Victors house and hand fed the monkeys apples, pears, and bananas we had taken from the ship. Ollie then started heading back to the ship pointing out the sights along the way. We got back to the pier and shopped for about an hour before boarding. The cost for the tour was $40.00 each for my wife and myself ($25.00 a person for parties of 4 or more) the zip line was $45.00 per person and the Iguana farm was $5.00 each I left a five dollar donation for the monkeys in a wooden donation box. I tipped Ollie $50.00 for excellent service Victor will design your tour how ever you want you can reach him at victorbodden@yahoo.com
In Belize I highly recommend Cave-Tubing.Com it is a private excursion that is similar to the one that Carnival offers but it is much better and half the price. Carnival charges you roughly $90.00 and only takes you to one cave. A gentleman named Yhony heads the company up and he and his crew were very professional. They meet you at the pier along with other people that were smart enough to book with him and load you up in an air-conditioned coach. They then take you on an exhilarating ride through the town and countryside pointing out interesting sights along the way. As your driving these guys are cracking jokes, pouring out cashew wine to the guest and making you feel quite welcomed and at ease they jokingly refer to themselves not as professionals, but cave man I view them as professional cave man . You then arrive at the cave tubing site and Yhony and his crew lead you on a 45-minute hike through the jungle to the mouth of the second cave you then float leisurely through the cave and rivers taking in all the sights. If you should happen to get caught in a shallow area Yhony and his crew are right there to free you up. After floating down the river you are once again loaded up in the bus and you start heading back to the ship. If time permits (which it did for us) Yhony stops at a restaurant for lunch the cave-tubing guys take your order along the way and when you reach the restaurant (we stopped at Amigos) they seat you and even serve you! We all had a fried chicken dish along with an island style fried rice it was quite good and reasonable costing only $5.00 a person we washed it down with ice cold beer grabbed some beers for the bus ride and loaded up to head for the ship and shopping. We pulled into the shopping area and every one on the ship was yelling cave–tubing.com we got back early enough to get in an hours worth of shopping. If you have the chance, by-pass the cruise tours and go with Yhony for half the price his web sight is http://cave-tubing.com you wont regret it.
In Costa Maya we took a carnival tour it was called the uverno beach and boat blast. Although I am not usually a big fan of ship sponsored tours. This one exceeded my expectations we were taken by air-conditioned coach to a beach type resort. Once at the resort we were treated to an open bar (the excursion guide never mentioned this) we were briefed on the operation of the two man speed boat and allowed to take them out to a floating pier were we snorkeled. Riding these boats around for about 45-an hour is a Blast with a capital B. You will love it and that free bar is awesome my wife and I must have had 10 cocktails each.