Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya

One of our stops on the Liberty next month is Costa Maya. If we decide not to take an excursion can anyone recommend what we can do when we get off the ship. Is there a beach nearby and how is the shopping??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Captain

There is a shopping center just past the dock and it has a pool for cruise passengers. Here is a website with pictures:www.puertocostamaya.com

AKcruiser
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Admiral

The dock area has plenty to do.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Passenger

There is a shopping area at the end of the dock. Or, you can go around the back of this shopping area and buy a bus pass into town for $3/person. It's going to look like you're going into a back parking lot once you first leave the shopping area, but it's safe. They will take you into Mahahual, which is a small fishing village of 250 people that is 2 blocks x 10 blocks large. The trip takes about five minutes. There, you will find more shops, restaurants, and a very beautiful beach with swimming, and a nice view of the pier. The port area has a swimming pool for you to swim in, but if you want nice ocean swimming, you need to go into town. Both places are going to be about the same in terms to the number of people around you.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Admiral

There is also a very rustic resort called Chac Chi that is just to the right of the pier as you face it from the ship. Its kind of a shame because the fellow who own the resort, is the land owner who sold some of his property which has now become the port. To make a long story short the port was built and they put a wall up to keep the cruise passengers away from Chac Chi. Over time holes have been cut into the fence and the a lot of the ship's crew make their way over and a few passengers do as well. Basically you can walk through the hole in the fence to get there or take a $30 cab fare to take you on the "scenic route" to get there. We will be going through the hole in the fence and taking a 5-10 minute walk through the jungle. I think it will be like going on a free shore excursion and supporting the underdog. If you are interested in going here PM me and I'll send you detailed directions to get there.
I'll be there next week and will come back with a full report.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Costa Maya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndy
One of our stops on the Liberty next month is Costa Maya. If we decide not to take an excursion can anyone recommend what we can do when we get off the ship. Is there a beach nearby and how is the shopping??

Thanks
I went to Tequila beach after scuba diving. You can just grab a cab from the tourist area by the dock ($5) and they will take you there. You walk up to the bar and get a wrist band for the day ($20). this gets you food and drinks for the time you are there. Nice beach, the band palaying was pretty good, and the water was great. Some people with us rented Jet Ski's on the pier and had a great time. Not cheap though. There are plenty of cabs out front to return to the dock.

Have fun!!

Mark
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Costa Maya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter1602
You can just grab a cab from the tourist area by the dock ($5) and they will take you there. You walk up to the bar and get a wrist band for the day ($20). this gets you food and drinks for the time you are there.

Have fun!!

Mark
Has anyone tried the "Jungle Beach Break" excursion offered by Carnival in Costa Maya? How was it? Do you think we would be better off doing what Skeeter did?

Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2008
Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2007
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2006
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2005
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Beginner

The Jungle Beach Break is great. The area is clean and has alot to do. The drinks are free where the food cost but is good and does not cost alot. You should enjoy this for the money. You can go there for a while and then jump a bus back to town to enjoy some shopping, swim up to the bar for a drink and just hang out. Going there in May again myself and can't wait.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

The Jungle Beach Break is $39 per person,drinks are free,food is not cheap and not that good.Beach toys are free to use,kayak,pedal boat,first come,first serve.
The beach is fairly clean,not spotless!
Buses run every 45 minutes to take you back to the pier.There are clean restrooms and showers.
My wife and I were there Feb 24th,2007.
Personally I don't think it was worth the price.If you like a party type scene stay at the end of the pier where swimming pool and shopping area is.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM
Banned
Familiar Face

Default Chai Chi...no thanks

Most of the recent reviews show the place to be deserted...how are you supporting the "underdog' if they are not there to make money??

I would not want to sit on a beach with just whatever I could bring, like a bottle of water or whatever...they are not open with food or drink so you are not making money for them..

besides...do you shop at WalMart? I am sure that small biz in your home town went out of biz due to them..the fact is that the port has invested a lot of money there in Costa Maya...

now...I personally plan to go to the little fishing village <grin> and not really support the port...but ..I think people should be aware they might make the trek thru the "hole" in the wall only to find NO cold drinks and NO food
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Chai Chi...no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShareCruises

I would not want to sit on a beach with just whatever I could bring, like a bottle of water or whatever...they are not open with food or drink so you are not making money for them..
..I think people should be aware they might make the trek thru the "hole" in the wall only to find NO cold drinks and NO food
According to their web site they have cold drinks and food:

"...Chac-Chi has it's own restaurant and bar with the most beautiful view of the area.
Feel the soft breeze moving through your hair and see wonderful ocean with it's various tones of blue and green and turquoise while you are sitting down eating fresh seafood.

The restaurant specializes in seafood, but we also make Mexican food at your request.

Chac-Chi's bar that is packed with cold beer and tropical drinks available for you all day long..." http://www.costamaya-chacchi.com/restaurant.html

I have never been there, I am just going by what I have read. We do plan on trying them out next month.

Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2008
Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2007
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2006
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2005