CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Bonine - Sea Sickness Medicine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/330436-bonine-sea-sickness-medicine.html)

dhornick March 23rd, 2007 01:08 PM

Bonine - Sea Sickness Medicine

This is a pretty technical question regarding medicines for seasickness. I've read the hundreds of thousands of entries regarding the subject and pretty much decided to go with Bonine. I asked my Doctor to write a prescription for which he wrote one for "Meclizine Chew Tabs 25mg". First, I'm assuming this is in the Bonine family of medicines and secondly now I'm told that my insurance does not cover Meclizine. So.... Does anyone have any specific information on the actual medicine name of the Bonine that you have taken in the past so I can check my insurance list and see which ones they do cover?

jleq March 23rd, 2007 01:16 PM

Bonine/Meclizine generally available OTC at your local drug store [United States]. Just wondering why you need the prescription. Is it .because you live in Canada/because of the "chew tabs" part...

adias.angel March 23rd, 2007 01:23 PM

You can order it online. 16 tablets are $8. I am trying this on our next cruise in December. ;)

Dixie Lee March 24th, 2007 11:24 AM

Re: Bonine - Sea Sickness Medicine

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhornick
This is a pretty technical question regarding medicines for seasickness. I've read the hundreds of thousands of entries regarding the subject and pretty much decided to go with Bonine. I asked my Doctor to write a prescription for which he wrote one for "Meclizine Chew Tabs 25mg". First, I'm assuming this is in the Bonine family of medicines and secondly now I'm told that my insurance does not cover Meclizine. So.... Does anyone have any specific information on the actual medicine name of the Bonine that you have taken in the past so I can check my insurance list and see which ones they do cover?

Bonine is Meclizine so they are one and the same. You can buy OTC in the 25 mg. dose chewable tab, same as the Rx - do not need a Rx, but your doctor probably gave you one because you asked for it and assumed that your insurance would then cover it. We have also found that the free motion sickness pills that you can get from the purser's desk on some of the cruiselines are also Bonine, but we always take some with us just to be safe because we prefer Bonine over Dramamine - causes us less drowsiness and dry mouth. Might be worth checking with your cruiseline, though, to see what motion sickness pill they provide because if it is Bonine, then you can get it on the ship for free. Of course, if you are prone to motion sickness, then you would want at least a couple to take prior to getting on the ship as a precautionary measure.

Heather&Justin March 24th, 2007 12:16 PM

Has anyone tried the accupunture braclets or the liquid that you put on behind your ears??

peery4 March 24th, 2007 12:30 PM

sea sickness

I posted this elsewhere but I get my MD to write me a script for Scopolamine gel. You have to find a compounding pharmacist to fix it for you but I really like it because you can adjust the dosage as opposed to the patch which tends to make me sleepy. The gel will be put in a little insulin syringe (without a needle) and you just rub whatever amount you want onto your wrist or behind your ear. I have never really been seasick but I always use something the morning of departure just to be on the safe side.

jleq March 24th, 2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather&Justin
Has anyone tried the accupunture braclets

I use these. Often sold under the "brand name" of Sea Bands. No problems

skymaster March 24th, 2007 01:40 PM

As the others have noted, here in the U.S. you can buy Bonine over the counter, in bubble packs. I was told at my drug store that I could buy Meclizine 25's without a RX as long as I bought a whole bottle (100). That's the way I buy it, but the lovely Mrs Jones (Vita) takes one every day when we sail, and we cruise a lot. The price for 100 isn't much more than the bubble pack for 10 or so!
Bonine (mechlazine) works great, and has very few side effects.

See you aboard,

Ken

Dixie Lee March 24th, 2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster
As the others have noted, here in the U.S. you can buy Bonine over the counter, in bubble packs. I was told at my drug store that I could buy Meclizine 25's without a RX as long as I bought a whole bottle (100). That's the way I buy it, but the lovely Mrs Jones (Vita) takes one every day when we sail, and we cruise a lot. The price for 100 isn't much more than the bubble pack for 10 or so!
Bonine (mechlazine) works great, and has very few side effects.

See you aboard,

Ken

You can buy Meclizine 25 mg. tabs OTC and you do not have to buy a bottle of 100. If you do not need 100 pills, buy store brand - just make sure the key ingredient is Meclizine 25 mg and you can buy fewer pills and still save money. Similar cost-savings as buying generic.

nurseypoo5 March 24th, 2007 06:12 PM

the reason your insurance wont cover it is because it is OTC. That med has been around for eons and eons. Its used also for people with inner ear issues and vertigo (dizzyness). I used to take it all the time since i had inner ear issues for years (thankfully its now gone...what a nightmare that was).

anyway, take it and feel good about it. I honestly never knew it was good for seasickness. I am so happy about it, because i never felt any side effects!

I plan on the bracelets also...i get seasick when deep sea fishing or on twirly rides at disney, so this is a double checker for me!