Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Default Which Carnival cruise/Western Caribbean the best for newbie?

We have decided to take a cruise June/July of 2008. So far we know we want to go to the Western Caribbean and are looking at keeping it at 4- 5 nights. Any suggestions on which Carnival ship to take and where are the best places to port? Thank you so much in advance for your time. 8)

Gayle in Kansas
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Haven't done too much Western Caribbean but if I were you, I would stick with Costa Maya, Cozumel, Cayman Islands, maybe Jamaica. You may want to avoid Panama, Belize and Costa Rico only because these countries are more economically depressed and less touristy. It may be a bit of a culture shock if this is your first experience on a caribbean nation.

I did a 7 night on RCCL Western Caribbean hitting Labadee, Haiti; Grand Cayman Island; Ochos Rios, Jamaica; and Cozumel, Mexico. It was a good cruise to very touristy areas.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Captain

This ones easy, you got two GREAT choices. Either Inspiration outta Tampa to Grand Cayman + Cozumel or Imagination outta Miami to Grand Cayman + Ocho Rios. Don't both with the 4 day, it's WAAAAAAAY too short.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Captain

Gayle In Kansas;
Being from KS I know you need to keep in mind how far you have to travel. We are doing a five day on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. This way we can drive and save the airfare. We will be doin the Western ports of Progresso, which I do not know much about yet, but am learning from this board. We will also go to Cozumel. I have been to Cozumel before and there is plenty to do. It depends on what you like to do. There are many choices out there. Just don't be afraid to ask here most are very helpful.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Admiral

the 4 or 5 nighters on Carnival's Imagination and Fascination are wonderful - being your first cruise, try to find one that has at least 2 sea days so you can get a feel for cruising and the ship you are on. as to whether or not it is Eastern or Western Carribbean, I would take the Eastern first as some ports of call in the Western are still rebuilding their docks after the storms, i.e. the Port of "Calica" is a rock or cement yard of some sort; nothing there, you have to get a cab or book an excursion.

as far as the Inspiration out of Tampa goes, this ship is going into dry dock soon for major renovation, personally I would wait and pick the Fascination as she was recently renovated and in very nice shape. (although I am booked on the INsipiration in May I would have preferred to sail Fascination again, but I am going with a large group who needed to leave from Tampa)
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat