Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr322
Quote:
Was this on top of the automatic tipping? If so, I'm sure Anthony was very happy with you !
Yes, it was on top of the automatic tipping! This was our first cruise and we were not really sure what was expected. Did we go overboard!
If so please tell me, before I go on my next cruise in Dec.

Thanks,
Cathy
Yes, Cathy, this was definitely more than expected! If we have a wonderful waiter (room steward, bar server, etc.) we'll tip extra (above the automatic tips) on the last day of the cruise. Many people never tip more than the automatic tips and that's fine.

We're generally considered "over-tippers" by our friends, so if that's what you want to do, that's fine, too! It's really all up to you.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson21
THANKS Cathy, that helps. Personally, I like the way your husband tipped the waiter...that was a neat way to do it. I'm still curious about tipping the room steward....should we leave a little something on the nightstand every day or how is it done?
Carla
There is a portfolio in the cabin with stationery, etc in it and also it contained some envelopes for tipping. We put the money in the envelope and laid it on the vanity near the ice bucket. We had several conversations with out cabin stewarts. The girl was from Russia and now I am drawing a blank and cannot remember where the guy was from. Since they seemed to be a team, I assume that they split the tips.

They came in to our cabin one afternoon and tried to teach us how to make a towel animal! My husband was intrigued and wanted to know how to do it. Well, actually my husband made a snake out of our towel and invited them in to see it, and so they had to teach him a little bit about the right way to do it. It was a lot of fun and very interesting to chat with them. Our waiter was Anthony, from Jamaica. Leave it to my husband to make friends with everyone.

Cathy
The whole idea behind having the tips added to your account before starting your cruise is so that you don't have to worry about whom and how much to tip. Unless you require something special then I really don't think that the amounts people are saying they've given are that appropriate. UNLESS you are in a financial position to be that generous....and I know that I am not and every penny to pay for the cruise was saved and budgeted for necessities. What was taken prior to the cruise is what was tipped. Of course, that does not include room service.
My only question would be how much to tip for spa services..for instance, a massage.

Carnival Miracle - Dec. 2006
Carnival Glory - June 2007
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson21
THANKS Cathy, that helps. Personally, I like the way your husband tipped the waiter...that was a neat way to do it. I'm still curious about tipping the room steward....should we leave a little something on the nightstand every day or how is it done?
Carla
There is a portfolio in the cabin with stationery, etc in it and also it contained some envelopes for tipping. We put the money in the envelope and laid it on the vanity near the ice bucket. We had several conversations with out cabin stewarts. The girl was from Russia and now I am drawing a blank and cannot remember where the guy was from. Since they seemed to be a team, I assume that they split the tips.

They came in to our cabin one afternoon and tried to teach us how to make a towel animal! My husband was intrigued and wanted to know how to do it. Well, actually my husband made a snake out of our towel and invited them in to see it, and so they had to teach him a little bit about the right way to do it. It was a lot of fun and very interesting to chat with them. Our waiter was Anthony, from Jamaica. Leave it to my husband to make friends with everyone.

Cathy

Carnival Miracle - Dec. 2006
Carnival Glory - June 2007
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Tipping is a very personal thing and if any cruiser wishes to leave a staff member extra at the end of the cruise, or at any other time that is up to them and perfectly OK.

The one thing new cruisers should be aware of is: Your gratuities are charged to your account and if you do not give additional money you ARE NOT considered cheap!

Gratuities were added to the shipboard accounts for three main reasons:

1. To avoid people from stiffing the staff.
2. To make it easier for passengers to handle tips. (No more stuffing envelopes)
3. It gave more control to the managers on how tips were distributed (Not a good thing)

Every long time employee I have spoken with prefers the automatic gratuities. They are stiffed far less and actually make more money. When you hear the story from a staff member that they don't receive all of their tips, there is a reason why they don't.

It now concerns me that people are now thinking that they "must" tip more than what is already added to their Sign and Sail account.

I also concerns me that Cruise Directors are pushing for additional tips for the crew. I fear that the automatic gratuity will become a "Service Fee" and people, and staff, will begin to think they MUST tip or receive a tip to receive or give good service.

Take care,
Mike (Who does tip extra when he receives "extra" service but not when someone does their assigned duty.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BTMRT
Default Wouldn't a few bucks extra give you better service?

Just my opinion - probably because I'm originally from the metropolitan NJ area where bars/restaurants/resorts, etc. are extremely crowded and waiting for everything is usual.......However, I've seen that tipping the bartender, maid, etc. a bit more at the beginning of your day/stay, results in much better service.

Barbara
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Passenger

You can add the tip through your sail and sign. We always leave them extra money in cash depending on service it can be $5 or $10. I also like to leave them a pen or key chain from home. I've been told they love to collect items from different places.
Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Passenger

i was not overly impressed with most of the staff on the Miracle during our cruise to the eastern caribbean. never did see the matre' d, the waiter in the dinning room disappeared after he brought the coffee and dessert, a couple of the bartenders were a little rude so needless to say they didn't see anything extra from us. our room stewardess was a very nice lady although i don't think she really did anything out of the ordinary for us but my husband insisted on leaving her an extra amount. frankly unless you recieve exceptional service i wouldn't bother with anything extra....but that's just me and since this was my first cruise maybe i'm wrong feeling this way.

travel makes life fun!
our ship sails 6/12/07 for Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii, Diamond Princess 3/17/08