Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Default Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk.

Triumph for Thanksgiving. (Be in Grand Turk on Turkey day..)
We will be traveling with 4 children ages 2-16.
This site if full of great information. Thanks to you all. Just a few questions.

St. Thomas....Can you take a taxi to paradise point? I understand that there is a rest. and great view, what else?
We would like to take a ferry to St. John. (preferably not with the cruise line) Any Suggestions?

Grand Turk. Read that you can take a taxi to a resort and "snuba". How does this work. Lighthouse, Can you go up in it?

San Juan. Would love to see the beautiful waterfalls and such but can't imagine toting a 2 yr old through the hiking trails of the rainforest..Any Suggestions?

Are there any Zip lines at any of these ports..My kids would love this.

Any information on excursions (outside of the cruise line) would be very helpful.

2007 (Nov) Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Celebration
2004 Carnival Inspiration
2002 RC
2001 Carnival Fantasy
1999 Carnival Tropicale
1998 Carnival Fantasy
1997 Fantasy
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

I can only answer the Grand Turks question. No, you cannot go up in the lighthouse. There are walking paths down to the beach. It is beautiful. The path is kind of steep at times and might be tough for 2 year old. We took the island loop bus tour. It made stops downtown, Her Majesty's Prison, the lighthouse. You can get off and back on at your leisure. They will issue an arm band. I'm not sure what the "snuba" is. Maybe someone else can help you there and with your other questions. Grand Turks beaches and water are just beautiful.........You can check out some of the pix in the photo gallery.

Need some cruise help?
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Passenger

While in St Thomas we once took a cab to the ferry and went to St john's trunk bay. It is so worth going there. The beach and snorkeling is great.

You can take a taxi to Paradise point. The view from the observation deck is breathtaking. Just take time to relax soak up the view and have a cool beverage of choice.
Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Passenger

Thank you for the great information. We really appreciate it all.

2002 RC
2001 Carnival Fantasy
1999 Carnival Tropicale
1998 Carnival Fantasy
1997 Fantasy
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
First Mate

I can help with a couple of your questions.

St. Thomas....Can you take a taxi to paradise point? I understand that there is a rest. and great view, what else?

The Bar, Restaurant, and shopping are about it at paradise point. The Sky Tram would probably be more fun for the family than a taxi. You can walk up to the window and buy tickets, or buy a “tour� in advanced. The view is great and you look down on the port where your ship is docked. We got some really nice pictures from there. There were 3 ships in port while we were there so there was some waiting for the tram.

Grand Turk. Read that you can take a taxi to a resort and "snuba". How does this work.

Snuba is like diving but the tanks stay on a floating platform. If you are comfortable with snorkeling then you wouldn’t have any problem with snuba. It is a little different than snorkeling because you are deeper in the water and need to be able to clear your mask and be able to find your air regulator if you drop it. You can’t just lift your head out of the water like snorkeling The tour usually provides safety training as part of the experience.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Any information on where to go to "Snuba" in Grand Turk?

2002 RC
2001 Carnival Fantasy
1999 Carnival Tropicale
1998 Carnival Fantasy
1997 Fantasy
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

For Grand Turk... I have not done the Snuba but I did do the helmet dive and that was great! With that we wore a diving helmet and walked around on the ocean floor.

They did the Snuba and helmet dive from the same boat.

I booked through Carnival.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Oh, for St. Thomas. The Atlantis submarine excursion was a bit expensive but well worth it.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Just returned from E.Caribbean route on the Valor-we took a taxi to Red Hook and ferried to St. John-it is well worth the cost and time-it is truly as beautiful as people say and the snorkeling at Trunk Bay was very good. The ferry from Charlotte Amalie was not in operation when we were there last week so Red Hook was the only option: $10 pp each way to Red Hook and $5 pp one way to St. John, then taxi to whatever beach you want. All together for 4 of us it cost just over $100 to get there and back but was well worth it--the best day of our cruise by far.
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I can answer your question about St. Thomas. No need for a taxi, even with a toddler and/or stroller in tow, you can simply walk from the pier, through the Havensight Mall shopping complex, and cross the street - Paradise Point Skyride is RIGHT there! Definitely go up, enjoy the view, the kids will LOVE the entertaining parrot show, and you MUST try the Paradise Point specialty, the Bailey's Bushwacker! Best drink I've EVER had!

I think the whole family will also enjoy Half Moon Cay, something for everyone there!

donna
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Does anyone have an idea of the snorkeling rates in St. John.

2002 RC
2001 Carnival Fantasy
1999 Carnival Tropicale
1998 Carnival Fantasy
1997 Fantasy