Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Captain

Default how much wieght do you tend to gain on a 7 nt cruise?

Ok...so last year we went to disney for 1 week and the beach in florida for a week. I wore a size 12 when i got there and by the time we got to floridas gulf i was in a 14, and by the time i left i was shopping for more stretch stuff!

sucked, but disney had free dining in all there upscale restaurants and i pigged out, pretty much what i am looking forward to doing on the cruise.

just curious, i can gain fast, i can lose pretty fast too, but the gaining part sucks lol
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Captain

nurseypoo5;

I really don't know how to tell you this , but we DW and I both lost about 2lbs. each on our 7 day on the Glory. We walked so much. We never missed a meal, but didn't go CRAZY at the buffet. DW had at least one Chocolate Melting Cake in the dinning room each night. Just remember everyone is different when it comes to weight gain. I am sure yours was just fluid retention .
Just go and enjoy.
Gary & Rox

ps;
I saw on another thread that you were going on the Esctasy in Jan. When are you going? We are on her the 21st. Just curious.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old August 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The most I have gained on a cruise was eight pounds and that was on my first cruise. It seems that the more I cruise the less I gain weight.

I now eat less and walk more. I thought that after my fourteen day cruise to China that I would have gained fourteen pounds but I found that I had actually lost a couple of pounds. The reason was that we were so active.

Seven day Caribbean cruises with three sea days are the worst for weight gain.

I have also spoke with Hotel Managers and they find that food consumption goes down considerably after a week on longer cruises. People get their fill and taper off on their eating.

I have also learned that you don't have to eat two entrées or two desserts (but sometimes I still have two desserts)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Captain

i'll be honest, as an american, eating is my favorite past time!
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Yeah, I'm worried about that, too! I love to eat, and I browse the internet for pictures of cruise food sometimes.

Hopefully being active will keep us okay. We'll do a lot of stairs. Right now we're on the Upper Deck, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

On my 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise I didn't gain any weight. Same as some of the posters. I didn't go nuts with the food and I took the stairs the entire trip. We were on an island just about every day so every day we were all over the place.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I am the kind of person who CAN'T sit on a deck chair for more than 30 minutes at a time. I need to get up and so something. If I have a book I might last an hour or slightly longer, but not often. Needless to say, I usually come back with not much of a tan.

I tend to walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, and walk more. I can eat and eat, but I walk so much that I usually don't gain at all. When I went in January I must have done at least five or six full circuits of the ship from bow to stern each day and covering all decks with the exclusion of the decks with all cabins. We were lucky, our cabin was three doors from the atrium elevators. I also took the stairs to go up one or two flights.

Perhaps in HMC I'll be able to sit still long enough to tan, er burn....we'll see....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I rarely gain on 7 day cruises anymore. We've found that it helps a lot to eat as many meals in the dining room, instead of the buffet, as we can. There is less temptation to really "Pig Out" and try everything. Also, we've cruise a lot, and so have already tried most dishes, so don't order extra food, just to try it. (when we did that, we always ate the whole thing!)

Ken
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I agree - I usually don't gain any either due to all the walking! Then again - I try not to eat the midnight buffets, etc. However, I love to sit there and watch my hubby pig out. :-)
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

How much wieght do you tend to gain on a 7 nt cruise?

Are you kidding? I've gained about 5 pounds just sitting here reading all of these posts and reviews, day after day! Cruisers ... Im hooked and I have it BAD!
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryI
nurseypoo5;

I really don't know how to tell you this , but we DW and I both lost about 2lbs. each on our 7 day on the Glory. We walked so much. We never missed a meal, but didn't go CRAZY at the buffet. DW had at least one Chocolate Melting Cake in the dinning room each night. Just remember everyone is different when it comes to weight gain. I am sure yours was just fluid retention .
Just go and enjoy.
Gary & Rox

ps;
I saw on another thread that you were going on the Esctasy in Jan. When are you going? We are on her the 21st. Just curious.
Gary
Same here. The wife and I LOVE to eat but stay very active. We also tend to dislike the food on the buffets although we do hit up some midnight ice cream and sandwiches. We always eat in the dining rooms breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food in the dining room is so much more appetizing to us, and the portions generally more controlled. You don’t feel bloated and stuffed. We also have a great time having conversations with the wait staff and you really get to know them if you are there 3 times a day.

We don’t work out on board like we do at home (it’s a vacation after all ) but we do a lot of walking around the ship and in port. If we ca we walk into town instead of using a taxi and choose the active excursions. We never take elevators on board either. We have come away as much as 4 pounds lighter.
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Passenger

my husband gained 13 pounds..I lost 2. Don't know how that happened? (The losing part).
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Captain

Quote:
nurseypoo5;

ps;
Gary
Gary...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! SAME DAY! we'll be with our 2 kids (one adult and a child kid lol) so if you dont want to join us maybe we can send them to the buffet and have an adult dinner together
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Quote:
nurseypoo5;

ps;
Gary
Gary...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! SAME DAY! we'll be with our 2 kids (one adult and a child kid lol) so if you dont want to join us maybe we can send them to the buffet and have an adult dinner together
That would be great to get together. It will be my DW, myself and Our DD & SIL will be going. It will be the kids first real cruise. I have not seen a MOB thread yet for this sailing. I will start one then we can chat, and make some arrangements to meet. Will chat later.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

On every cruise I went on so far I lost a few pounds and I am not small to begin with. I just enjoyed myself tasted everything and ate what I wanted. I guess all the walking you do wears it off. Just have fun do what you want and eat what you want and worry about the pounds when you come home.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

We did not gain a single pound. We took the stairs just about everywhere we went. Did not eat in excess, except the ice cream one night. I had a dessert of some kind every night (buffett or dining room). We just walked a lot. Food is just not that big of a part of cruising to us. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it all. We ate three meals a day and did not snack between meals (which I do at home). There is so much you can do and not be eating all the time. Enjoy your cruise. I am sooooo looking forward to my next one. It seem like it will NEVER get here.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Admiral

On 22 cruises, I have never gained any weight and actually lost a few pounds on most. As many have posted here, one of the secrets is to walk a lot, not use the elevators and to use the gym everyday.

I eat a lot and have two or three desserts every night at dinner. That is balanced by the fact that I don't drink anything but tea, diet soda and water on a cruise. There are a lot of calories in those beautiful drinks and in a nightly glass or two of wine.
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Ro --------------- The moral of the story????????? LETS CRUISE MORE!! I agree! :-)
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Also remember they have a gym and a walking track, and you can always take the stairs as opposed to elevators. And the excursions are a great way to exercise some of the food off if you do biking, swimming, hiking, etc. Even walking around shopping in port is better than nothing. I always eat whatever I want (sometimes two or three of whatever I want) and work it off at some point. Have a great cruise, and get ready, because you are about to join us cruise addicts!
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Your right Chery cruise more...I am trying booking one a year no matter what size I am lolol

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Admiral

First off, why are you people weighing yourselves??? I don't get it. Scales are not your friend!!!! Keep repeating that over and over. Avoid scales -- they lead to depression and low self-esteem!!

When I first started cruising I found that after a day or two I would blow up like a balloon. Therefore, I would wear my tighter outfits first and pack loads of stretch outfits and loose fitting sundresses. This sudden weight gain would be gone within a week or two of my cruise without any dieting

I recently came to realize that I suffer from water retention and swelling because of the (a) sun and heat; (b) sea air; (c) rich food and (d) good ole American gluttony

My feet swell up the worse.

On my last cruise, I packed all stretch and loose fitting sundresses and don't worry about it. I drank plenty of water so that my inner workings do not go on the defensive and start to hoard and retain water. This helped a lot.

All in all I think it is less true weight gain but your body's reaction to a new diet and different climate. Your body is trying to protect and readjust itself. Your inside is not at all concerned with the fact that your favorite outfit does not fit.!!!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Thats exactly what I said in my first post I told her to go on the cruise stop worrying about gaining and just plain enjoy herself!

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:59 AM
First Mate

Nurseypoo,

I think we are long lost sisters! I gain weight just thinking about the cruise. I agree with one of the previous posters that "scales are not our friend." So let's just make a pact that we will avoid them and have fun all week.

Trarecar also had good advice--just take the stairs and avoid the elevators. I also think walking helps burn off some of the extra calories.

Thank goodness Carnival doesn't weigh us before and after the cruise and charge us by the pound. I might be in trouble!
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegambler

Thank goodness Carnival doesn't weigh us before and after the cruise and charge us by the pound. I might be in trouble!
How true!......I'd be in deep trouble!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Why don't I believe 90% of the people in this thread. I wasn't the only guy pushing my way onto the elevator and coming back to the table with an entire plate of all those little different deserts.

I have found that what ever you gain will away for a week or so goes away when you come back to your normal routine. that's why I don't worry. I eat up thats half the fun.

Brian

Sensation
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Why don't I believe 90% of the people in this thread. I wasn't the only guy pushing my way onto the elevator and coming back to the table with an entire plate of all those little different deserts.

I have found that what ever you gain will away for a week or so goes away when you come back to your normal routine. that's why I don't worry. I eat up thats half the fun.

Brian
...on Celebrity they started guarding the dessert station when I came around cause I always put 3 or 4 yummy desserts on my tray
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yeoman

We have only done a 5 day but BF and I both lost a couple pounds. Never skipped desert or a meal

We stayed away from the deep fried foods during the lunch buffet which helped along with all the walking we did. I just made sure to add fresh fruit and/or veggies to every meal I had.

In the end don't worry about the weight, what kind of way is that to vacation !? Carla
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Captain

Nurseypoo,
I was shocked to realize this was your first cruise. It seems like you've been one of the family here forever.
I thought I share a few little know diet facts
There is no calories/weight gain in any foods:
Eat'n while standing up
Eat'n off of someone else's plate
Eat'n to show children how good it tastes or to check the tempature
Eat'n after you are finished, but just picking while your waiting for everyone else.
Drank'n in which alcohol is added.

Okay so maybe these fact are only true in diet dreams

Have a fantastic cruise.
Susan
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Beginner

I gained 5 lbs my DH gained 4 which is not as bad as I anticipated. I did eat the sugar free dessert a couple of nights and I was surprised to find it was actually good. I could not tell the difference. Try the banana cake and the coconut-both were delicious and it saves you a few calories. You will still get plenty of the fattening stuff on your cruise. We ate so much we were actually tired of eating by the 6th day. We forced ourselves at dinner! Happy Cruising and enjoy the food. It was very good on the Valor.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

the captain ain't telling
Happy cruising everyone