Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default question about Costa Maya....and cozumel

We leave in 35 days! Going to Costa Maya and cozumel. I have been to costa maya once and went snorkeling, however, I hear that when you get off the ship you can go to a beach somewhere - chill, swim, drink and even get a beach massage for 20.00. Can anyone tell me all about this?? Sure would save $$ for the day so we can spend it in cozumel where I THINK we want to go to Xcaret. Would love your input on that too. Thanks for your help in advance!
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Cheryl,

Where have you been ? Missed you!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cherlyroy,

Costa Maya is our fav port and have been twice. Just back from the Legend on Aug 12 and we stopped at both ports. At Costa Maya we booked a beach break (open bar/palapas/beach chairs) from island marketing ltd. on the internet for 30$pp at a place called Pez Quadro. We also did this last year when we sailed on the Miracle. The bar staff remembered me/wife from last year and were just as nice and helpful this year. If you dont drink, you can simply walk up to the bar and get a beach chair for $5.00pp for the day. They have a bathroom across the street at a hotel that runs the bar/beach area which was very clean. If you dont drink much, beers were 2$ and I cant rem how much other mixed stuff was. I will say if you are going go early as crew from the ships like to go there and it will get fairly busy. If you have kids that will be going be warned that foriegn female crew tend to wear next to nothing (tbacks) but everyone is very well behaved and a good time is had by all. If you want to go there you can book through island marketing ltd or walk up to the bar once you get there. When you get to the port complex at the end of the pier, walk to the rear of the complex and get a cab or bus from the taxi stand. Either ask to go downtown or to Pez Quadro. If you ask for downtown, walk along the dirt road main drag (about a quarter mile) until you reach the end of town where youll see a sign that says Pez Quadro. Along the way through downtown there are other similar places which offer the same services but I cannot speak for them.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Beach massage can be had all over the beach area. I have gotten mine 2 yrs in a row from the same lady who sets up next to the trees next to Pez Quadro. Both times I waited till 3PM and the price went down. I paid 15$ for 45min and it was every bit as good as the ones from the ship. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures but I suppose I could email them to you if you wish.[/img]
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portslug
Beach massage can be had all over the beach area. I have gotten mine 2 yrs in a row from the same lady who sets up next to the trees next to Pez Quadro. Both times I waited till 3PM and the price went down. I paid 15$ for 45min and it was every bit as good as the ones from the ship. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures but I suppose I could email them to you if you wish.[/img]
Please the images out on photo bucket or similar free serivce and then post the link so we can see them Carla
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Ahhh Luanne -- thanks! just busy busy - moving into a new hospital! And, we actually took a different cruise besides cruising and went up to Niagara Falls. But, we Both would rather be on a cruise!
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Portslug - I would LOVE to see the pictures! email to BHSrulz@aol.com. Is that the little town that people talk about? I'm confused - you walk there? Is it safe? I am really REALLY leary about going out on my own vs an excursion of some sorts, but I do hear there is a little town down the road with a beach and massages and just a 'bum' day of fun! Is this what you are talking about? I thought it was a town that started with a M..majahial or something??? Sorry for the spelling and stupidity!
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Captain

Oh Cheryl, I'm so jealous (way up here in CenLA, no less) - Costa Maya is one of my favorite places. We just looove to go to the beach, drag our chairs out in the water and get waited on hand and foot. And the $20 massages - well, what can I say - oh yeh - senor, dos mas cervezas por favor!

Go through the shop area at the pier to the back parking lot and to the left. You will see a window against the back wall where they sell tickets for the cabs and/or bus to the beach. If memory serves me it's $3/person one way. Then you take your litle receipt and go to the curb. Someone is there to direct you. On our first two trips the director-man would place you in the next cab, but last time they had busses and you had to wait til th bus was filled before they left. Boo. But it wasn't too long. They only have one drop off spot at the end of the beach. As you walk down the dirt street the beach is on your left and shops are on the right. We always go to a place called El Faro (lighthouse) (it's right past the two story massage place).

The use of a table and chairs and their bathrooms are free so long as you order food/drinks there. We enjoyed their food and the service was quite friendly. There are 5 or so massage tables under a tent. A one hour massage (and it was good too!) is $20.

At the end of your day, mosey on back toward your drop spot and lots of cabbies will offer to take you back. I think we paid $10 for a van for the 6 of us.

Have a cerveza for me!
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Admiral

On our first trip to Costa Maya (almost 3 years ago) we found Pez Quadro while riding in the golf cart we rented. It was the best place! The bartenders were so nice and the facilities across the road were great. At that time, there was not a charge to use the beach, and it was very uncrowded. Even though they are now charging, it is still worth the price!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Thanks so much!!!! I have decided that I'll get 2 massages back to back and hop from one table to the next (just kidding i think). I"ll be laying face down with my tall drink and straw where I can just sip it as I get the massage. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh can't wait! I see you guys are traveling too in about a month!!! YIPEE!!! I could go every other month if work would let me! OK OK I could go every month -- but thanks for the helpful info on how to get there!!
Cheryl
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Wikitravel - Costa maya page

If you have not seen my excitment yet about wikitravel read this thread:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581366

So I went on wikitravel.org to check out Costa Maya info but there is very little. Thought some of our brave adventurers who had been there and loved it so much might like to add to the wiki so that is has some great info for everyone. Link is below. Carla

http://wikitravel.org/en/Costa_maya
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Carla-- never heard of it! Awesome! Thank you!!
Cheryl
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
First Mate

My wife wants to go see the Mayan ruins. Are these only in Costa Maya or are they also in Cozumel?
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Ehh, the ruins in Costa Maya were sooo hot and not worth it IMO. It took an hour each way to get there, it was expensive and I wish we would've been at a beach or scuba diving. Our guide showed us multiple holes in the ground and told us random stories. Whoopie. It took the majority of the day. I posted a bunch of pictures and a review on my Liberty 7/29-8/04. If you like history and some cool pictures, you'll love it!
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
My wife wants to go see the Mayan ruins. Are these only in Costa Maya or are they also in Cozumel?
We went to the Tulum ruins that you can see from Cozumel. They were beautiful but are not in the condition the ones in Costa Maya are. If I had the choice it would be Costa Maya all the way

The Tulum ruins have had some very heavy tourist travel and they have roped off the ruins themselves to keep it from degrading any more. But it does have a beautiful beach in it that you can swim at which is nice because it was very hot while we were there in March.

The Costa Maya ruins are not roped off and you can actually go in and see the ruins. It is in more of a jungle type atmosphere. I was told that these are much better than Tulum.

Hope this helps. Let us know which one you decide to see, Carla
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tying to insert images
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Massage tables
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Me getting Massage

The bar of Pez Quadro

The tree where the massage tables are
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Passenger

Hey Magnolia Blossom,
I'm from CenLa too. Ball to be exact.
When do you cruise?
I'm on the Conquest for Thanksgiving.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Admiral

Great pics

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Mehawk