Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Passenger

Default Hurricane Dean

Looks like hurricane dean and the Ecstasy will arrive in Cozumel around the same time. What is the normal procedure, do they port somewhere else or stay at sea? Has anyone had this problem.

Hook'em
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Capt will determine is it is safe to go to Cozumel, if not, he will find another port that is safe.

This is the reason we do not cruise during hurricane season, might not get to the port that you are expecting.

Have a great cruise and be ready for some rough water.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 97
Carnival Fantasy 98
Carnival Imagination 03
Carnival Glory 05
Carnival Elation 07
Carnvial Triumph 08
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to texfirerebel

Man, i have been waiting for 5 months to go on this ship. I didnt know I was going to be meeting with the DEAN. HarHar
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Passenger

The kids and I have been planning for this for weeks. What a bummer. Does anyone know where we go on Carnival's site in order to get updates on the status of the cruise? Will they e-mail or somehow notify us of any changes? I purchased travel insurance, and I am wondering how quickly to act on it. I live on the middle Texas coast, so I will probably need to cancel if the storm heads this way, even if the ship does sail.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Admiral

If you booked through a travel agent then get them involved now to find out whats going on. I'm not sure if they post that kind of information on their site.

This is what I found:

Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impending hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Passenger

I purchased through a cruise wholesaler and also purchased their travel insurance, much in part because I live right on the Texas coast, and if one headed this way I would probably have to cancel in order to get our home boarded, etc. Well, to make a long story short, I just got off the line with a Carnival rep, who while very accomodating, told me that if we purchased travel insurance through them (which we did not), their insurance would not cover cancellation for this cause. I e-mailed the cruise wholesaler but have not yet heard from them. When I read the agreement, I understood that any cancellation due to an emergency situation would be honored. Why would Carnival not deem a hurricane hitting your area as an emergency? Now I am really concerned.

By the way, the Carnival rep was very nice, but would not even comment on what any potential itenerary changes might be. I told him I was just trying to get some idea of where we might go if Cozumel was not an option, but no response except "not sure".
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Emergency to them means... your in a car accident or the ship breaks down etc... This is "act of god". Unless the ship can not leave at all for some mechanical reason, its still sailing and the cruise is offically on and leaving a little later then expected. And thats really all they can tell you. When the ship is underway, the captain makes the decision on what's the safest route for the ship from the storm...

Old August 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the information. Looking more like I might be "up a creek without a paddle" as far as cancelling because a hurricane will hit my area.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Passenger

One more question - looking at the latest projected path takes it near the Progreso area on Tuesday after passing near Cozumel. Would Carnival try to sail around and then port us in a hurricane ravaged port? That doesn't sound like much fun, and if we are trying to sail around this thing we will probably go through some pretty rough water. I'm concerned because I'll be traveling alone with my two children and wouldn't want to put them at any risk.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

The captain is responsible for all crew, passengers and that big expensive ship. He doesn't want anything to happen that would endanger any of the three. IF there is any danger, they will divert the ship. This could mean missing a port all together or going to a different port if there's room.

Old August 16th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Admiral

As Carolin said, the Captain will make sure that everyone is safe. I would recommend taking your own supply of medicine for motion sickness. Although they have it on the ship, if seriously rough water is encountered, they may not have enough for everyone that needs it.

Also, if it is safe to go into a port, regardless of damage from a storm, the ship will dock. Be sure to pack your flexibility with you. Make your plans as you go, and I'm sure you will have a great cruise, in spite of the circumstances.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Beginner

Rain, sleet, DEAN . . . . . I will be there. Got my motion sickness supply ready. They say it will hit on Monday or so. Monday and Tues are sail days. Maybe it will break up along the way. I doubt it but who knows. Lets make the best of it
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebH
Thanks for the information. Looking more like I might be "up a creek without a paddle" as far as cancelling because a hurricane will hit my area.
If your insurance won't cover you if you cancel (which most likely it won't) your best bet would be to change the date of the cruise. There would be a change fee, but at least you won't be out the money if you cancel.

NCL Crown 2005 - South America
Carnival Conquest 2007 - W. Caribbean
Holland America Oosterdam 2008 - Alaska
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Admiral

By all means still make plans to go. The Capt. will make sure that everything and everyone is safe. If you are diverted to another port then that's fine too. I say stay excited about your cruise in spite of Dean. DW and I were cruising when Wilma and Charlie was kickin' up wind in the Caribbean. Both times we had a great cruise.
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Passenger

It wouldn't concern me if it was just me, but the comment about taking enough motion sickness medicine because they might not have enough to go around scares me. Being in a room with two sick kids the entire trip doesn't sound like fun.

Does anyone know what alternate ports of call are available out of Galveston if Mexico is not an option?
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
First Mate

I can't speak specifically to the impact of Dean, but I can relate what happened to us in August 2004 when our itinerary coincided with the track of Hurricane Francis.

We arrived in Miami knowing full well that Francis was a threat. On our bed was a letter from the Captain acknowledging the issue and advising us that a decision on the itinerary would be made the next day while docked in Nassau.

When we returned to the ship from Nassau, there was a communication advising us that, for safety reason, the intended itinerary (Dominican Republic & St. Thomas) was being abandoned and the cruise would embark on a western itinerary to Ocho Rios and Cozumel.

[BTW - Hurricane Francis arrived in St. Thomas the day we were supposed to be there]

At all times, the Captain and CD kept us well informed about the status of the hurricane and its impact on our cruise. We enjoyed the new ports and got an extra night, as the port of Miami was closed the day we were supposed to disembark.

If you are going to cruise during hurricane season, in particular, but honestly at any time of the year, you have to be prepared that a port might not be available for some reason or other. For example - they tender you ashore in Grand Cayman. If the seas exceed a particular limit, they can not tender you ashore.

In cruising, there are NO guarantees whatsoever that you will get the ports that you booked - case in point. The cruise following our Hurricane Francis cruise was the relocation cruise for the Carnival Paradise through the Panama Canal to Los Angeles. Because they had a very limited window to pass through the Canal, all the port calls on the Atlantic side were cancelled because of the delay caused on the prior cruise (extra day).
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I don't want to sound whiny, and honestly wouldn't care if I were not with children. My main concern is that they not be miserable because they are seasick. Otherwise, I have always been the adventureous type and this would sound fun.

In addition, I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, and am a little concerned with leaving my husband behind to deal with my elderly father plus his own elderly parents if a major hurricane blows in.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Familiar Face

Default Lucky me and Dean

Hi Horn,

How lucky am I to book a trip that coincide with the first Atlantic hurricane? Seems like the storm track and timing is just aiming for our destinations. If Dean stays on track, I'm guessing the Capt will head towards Florida then turn for Cozumel and skip Progresso.

As for past hurricane Rita back in Sept 2005, my mom was scheduled to cruise out of Galveston (we live in Houston) but we packed up and ran to Dallas. Considering Rita hit very close to Houston, Carnival delayed her sailing enough that we were able to get back to Houston in time for her 2 days or so delayed departure. Her cruise was shortened by those delayed days and they also got $100 coupon toward a future cruise.

I've got ginger candy, ear patch, and dramamine packed for the rough ride. I've got a 6 and a 4 year old that I hope won't be dramatized by this...
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Not to sound like a total n00b, but what is the ginger candy for? And a ear patch? I have been on many boats in the gulf with rough water and I didnt get sick. I hope I dont on this big ol ship. I am sure the water will be rough. I cant wait 3 more days, I am ready now . . . . . I have been packed for weeeeeeeeks
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Hey Dude, where do you get the patch. I've been looking for it. Do you have to get a script for it. I'm excited about this cruise. I'm with you, I think if DEAN stays to its course you can count out both ports. I don't want to get to Cozumel just in time to help them unboard their shops. I wouldn't mind going to the Keys or Bahamas. Hope they don't just leave at sea for a week.

Hook'em
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Yeoman

The patch is an ear patch for motion sickness. Yes it is by prescription only. Also it makes some smaller sized people drowsy because it only comes in one strength.

The ginger candy is to calm your stomach. Ginger is a natural nauseous reliever. You can also get ginger pills at health food stores. They often give this to cancer patients after Chemo.

If you don't want to take a chance go to your local pharmacy and ask for generic motion sickness drug called Meclizine. No prescription needed. Its the same thing as the expensive ones on the shelf but you can get 100 tablets for $10.

Hope that answers some questions, Carla
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Beginner

I agree, I wouldnt mind going to either one of those places, . Man i just want to see some blue water. Now it might be blue rough water. I am a first timer and just happen to get a really good deal on our rooms. I just hope i bring enough money.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Admiral

It will be very bumpy onboard so be prepared....

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Passenger

The patch also cause blurred vision. Go for the meclizine (Bonine, trade name).
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebH
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I don't want to sound whiny, and honestly wouldn't care if I were not with children. My main concern is that they not be miserable because they are seasick. Otherwise, I have always been the adventureous type and this would sound fun.

In addition, I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, and am a little concerned with leaving my husband behind to deal with my elderly father plus his own elderly parents if a major hurricane blows in.
From the looks of the path of Dean......Texas should be spared. Unless Dean takes a right hand turn when it comes back into the gulf region down by Tampico Mexico...
Also get some meds to take with you on the cruise...seasick meds..for you and your children.

Fascination 97
Jubilee 99
Inspiration 2003
Pride 2007
Triumph 2008
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontheway
Yes it definetly does cause blurred vision. Thought I was going to need reading glasses for a while
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontheway
We both used patches and they worked great for us. I dont know why a few seem to have side effects??

We brought Bonine we bought at CVS drug store last time, the chewable 24 hour kind and it worked fine too.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
We both used patches and they worked great for us. I dont know why a few seem to have side effects??
Some do because the patch is one strength. My BF is 6' 200lbs, he has no issues with it. I am 5'3" and maybe 120lbs and I was very sleepy, had blurred vision. After the 4th day it actually MADE me a little sick to my stomach. Once I took it off and it got of my system I felt fine.
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I booked the cruise in Sept knowing all to well about hurricanes since I'm from Louisiana - but the price was right for the crowd we have and it worked out great as I got my docs today and have been upgraded to a penthouse suite! We are all past cruisers and I know the captain would not put us or the ship in any danger so no matter where we go is fine with us. We just want the blue water! I would not cancel at all unless the hurricane were headed directly in my path in which I would have to take care of my home/pets, etc. However, seems you are out of danger now - and I would not cancel. Kids go to amusement parks and do swirls and twirls and these few bumps on the ship will not be any different. If in doubt, bring them the patch - which I always bring 'just in case' The first time I wore it - and Im a large lady of 250 pounds I got blurry eyed (it makes your pupils dilate) and took it off. However, tried it a second time with no problems. Not sure what/why but my family uses it and its great. Go enjoy your cruise - trust me - you will have fun!