Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Captain

Default am i the only one freaking out here?

mom (who overreacts more than me) said new tropical storm is forming near africa and has a large potential for hurricane status and if it come should be here in 2 weeks. cant find anything on the web yet...

BUT...i'm freaked out, not only for me personally and what Dean can and most likely will do to our cruise, but all these people, are just now recovering from the hurricane that devestated them 2 yrs ago. south Texas and the area around it can not handle much more rain, San Antonio, the Hill country, W Texas, Corpus, Houston and Galveston.. It could be so bad.. I'm praying for everyone, its so sad to see these little countries with so "little" to protect themselves with be in the line of a storm like this. Jamaicans often live in dirt floor shantys with a few pieces of sharp tin sourrounding them... they are such a poor country.

ok worrying wont help, but i cant help it. Ofcourse there is a part of me who's selfish as hell...i'm worried that the ports will be closed to tendering and islands devestated and we wont get to enjoy them...thats the selfish part of me!
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The chances that your cruise, in 22 days being canceled are slim.

I wouldn't freak out about it. It is part of cruising during hurricane season. You aren't the first person to worry about this and you won't be the last.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Admiral

We are all worried about the damage the hurricanes can cause both to people and there homes, but what's going to happen is going to happen.

I don't know if you are religious and my intent is not to offend anyone, but
I believe in God and I am praying the Dean doesn't do too much damage, but also, if it does hit, that those folks in those areas have done what they need to, even if it means leaving there home and going for saftey.

I don't think it's selfish to worry about your ports, we spend alot of money and time invested and we really deserve our vacation time.

I am also praying for everyone who is cruising in those areas, and that they are able to have a safe and enjoyable cruise.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Passenger

I am one who is supposed to be on the Ecstasy Monday. Think its a safe bet that it won't be going to Cozumel. If I get the opportunity, I am going to cancel because I live on the middle Texas Coast and would need to take care of my home if it heads this way. In addition, I'd hate to see what would be left of my vehicle when I get back if it hits near Galveston.
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

FYI - we already posted the listed carnival itinerary changes in our cruise news pages. Ecstasy is not scheduled to have an itinerary change. No ships have any changes in their departure ports yet.

Hurricanes are likely to cause changes in the islands they hit, and they may disrupt your planned cruise schedule, but you will still have a good cruise, and it may involve being some of the first people on the scene to a recently hit island - or you may end up in completely different destinations.

Think of it as part of the mystery and power of the oceans and weather. One thing I love about cruising is that it brings you closer to the elements. You are intinsically involved with what is about to happen. Be alive, take it as it comes.
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Captain

thanks for your replys. I wish i could find something on that trop storm in africa, i think my mom is senile since she also said the dumbest thing ever today, i told her i was going on the conquest and she said her best friend curises 4 times a year and her travel agent refused to book her on conquest since it was such a horrible ship. I think shes nutso, and told her so.
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Nursey I think you and I are at that same time of life where we are reversing roles with parents.
I have been refereeing an argument between my parents all week. My Dad's 82nd birthday is next week and Dad wanted to go Branson, MO for a week. My Mom tells him "that's a stupid idea, Branson $ucks! There's no headliners or anything worth seeing there."
So they drag me into it and I am tasked with finding something they'll both like. I can tell you it's easier to get my four and seven year old to agree and compromise than those two.
I suggested San Fransisco,, Dad say's no way... (he knew that Mom has always wanted to go there) its to cold, foggy and damp. I said well I think it's beautiful, I think you'd enjoy going to the wine country.... Not interested. Then I suggested San Diego and I found a great deal...well they were considering that, then found a deal in Virgina Beach they liked. Finally yesterday they decided on some little Island near Savannah Georgia with an inexpensive condo 2 blocks from the beach. I need a drink.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM
First Mate

Nurseypoo5,

Don't worry about Dean, by the time you sail Dean will be long gone. Hopefully, there will be no major loss of life during this storm. Our hearts also go out to all of those in that area right now. Hurricanes can be scary.

Also, just ignore what the TA told your mom about the Conquest. Perhaps the TA thought your mom might prefer a shipping line that caters to an older crowd. Who knows. We have been on the Conquest several times, and absolutely find no fault with the ship. Perhaps you can convince your mom about what a great ship the Conquest is when you return. We are an older couple, but we love the atmosphere on the Conquest and all Carnival ships. It's lively, upbeat, and lots of fun. The ship is clean, and we have found the staff to be very nice and friendly. In fact, we like the Conquest so much that even if all the ports were closed because of major storm damage, we would still be happy just to float around in the ocean on the ship all week! My husband and I are going to have fun either way. I am well aware of the dangers of tropical storms and hurricanes. We live on Galveston Bay and have already decided should a hurricane come up around the time that we cruise in a few weeks, we are still going on the cruise. We definitely would not cancel. We would have a mandatory evacuation from here anyway, and I would much rather spend the week on a cruise ship than in a hotel somewhere west of here. I feel like when we get back we can deal with the insurance company on any damage sustained in a storm.

Again, don't worry. You are going to have a wonderful cruise.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I took travel and tourism courses many a year ago and the one big no-no for a travel agent to do is to interfere with what a client wants for their holiday. How would you feel if your travel agent told you where you were going to go instead of where YOU wanted/choose to go?

Hurricanes-I to cruise in 27 days (I leave in 26) and I certainly hope that the there is nothing going through at that time. I know if there is something nearby and a change is made, oh well, I'll make the best of it. I want two ports to stay Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. San Juan isn't a big deal and St. Thomas would be a shame to lose.

Conquest-two ladies at work have been on that ship. One went two years ago and the other a year ago, and both of them gave me rave reviews of the ship.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Captain

oh gosh i have no DOUBT whatsoever the ship is wonderful, i think my mom makes up stuff as she goes along....she's almost 80.

Her friend is over 80 and i think the other poster has it right, she's more of a cunnard or queen mary kind of person, she would probably hate the conquest....rich, much older woman, ,whos traveling with another woman, maybe thats the reason, however mom could just be trying to ruin my trip lol...she does that sometimes, thats why i'm not going to ROME SHE CONVINCED me my 23 yr old cant handle my 11 yr old for 3 weeks. (i had a 4 yr old when i was 23 lord knows my son is easier than a 4 yr old lol)

anyway, good news is that the Cayman Islands look fine so does Jamaica as a whole, anyway MO Bay and Ocho Rios....now lets pray for the ones in real danger...cancun/cozumel and those area's. they are in some real danger!
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Looks like Costa Maya / Majajual is set for a direct hit. It's kind of sad, when we were there in March at the resort by the hole in the fence, they were out there repairing the Palapas. They'll probably be gone after Dean hits.

Well that's one thing I have to say is the Mexican people are very hard working resilient people who no matter what happens they rise to the occasion and rebuild.

Read and post cruise reviews