Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Update on Carnival's Jeans Policy in Dining Rooms

Norwegian has just announced that they will allow jeans in one of their two main dining rooms (no jeans in their French pay restaurant or their second dining room).

I am sailing on Carnival in a few weeks. I have been on six former Carnival cruises (the last two years ago). Though there was a no-jean rule in the restaurants, I never saw it enforced (I have only seen Men turned away for wearing shorts or tank tops, though women were allowed to wear sleaveless tops and capri pants that hit right at the knee).

Due to airline luggage weight restrictions, I am trying to pack as light as possible. Regardless of "official policy", I just want to know from recent cruisers if jeans are still being worn at dinner in the dining rooms (nice ones of course, with a collared shirt, belt and nice street shoes).

Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Update on Carnival's Jeans Policy in Dining Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick's Guy
Norwegian has just announced that they will allow jeans in one of their two main dining rooms (no jeans in their French pay restaurant or their second dining room).

I am sailing on Carnival in a few weeks. I have been on six former Carnival cruises (the last two years ago). Though there was a no-jean rule in the restaurants, I never saw it enforced (I have only seen Men turned away for wearing shorts or tank tops, though women were allowed to wear sleaveless tops and capri pants that hit right at the knee).

Due to airline luggage weight restrictions, I am trying to pack as light as possible. Regardless of "official policy", I just want to know from recent cruisers if jeans are still being worn at dinner in the dining rooms (nice ones of course, with a collared shirt, belt and nice street shoes).

Thanks for your replies.
Just curious, since khakis are a lighter weight and take up less room than jeans...why wouldn't you wear khakis?

The bottom line is that there has never been a "written rule" concerning no jeans. (just no shorts and/or tank tops) However, they do call it the "formal dining room" and out of respect for those who want the full experience, personally I would never wear jeans in there at night.

Lots of people do, but there is a reason this is not even an issue on the most expensive cruise lines. Sadly, I think it really speaks to the quality of the some of the clientele that Carnival draws.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Norweigan or Carnival?
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
The bottom line is that there has never been a "written rule" concerning no jeans
That's not quite true. Up until @2 years ago IT WAS written in the Capers that jeans were not allowed in the dining room - it was just NEVER enforced.

Then suddenly @2 years ago the mention of jeans dissappeared.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Where what you want. You will not be turned away from wearing jeans. I have seen much worse. There are people who think that cruising is this elite event when in reality it is not. Especially on Carnival. They are the most relaxed line out there. If I want something upscale then I will cruise on Cunard.
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
First Mate

I just got off the Carnival Spirit and actually made it a point to check out what people were wearing.

We had the 5:45 dining time.

1st day (boarding day). Most people were in what they wore getting on the ship...no surprise there.

Depending on the port/departure time, jeans were in the dining room anywhere from 1/3 of the people up. Most young adults, teens & kids wore jeans. Also, men outnumbered women for wearing jeans. No one wore tank tops and shorts (which was specifically stated as a no no).

On the formal nights, 99% of the people dressed up. It was really nice to dine in such an atmosphere and check out everyone's outfits. You would feel really out of place if you didn't dress accordingly.

What did I wear? I wore jeans 3 times: the first day (didn't have all our luggage yet) and twice after an excursion. Sometimes we just got back onto the ship and it was all I could do to refresh my makeup and fix my hair (even then we ran around 15 minutes late). I believe that Carnival takes that into consideration. Not once did I feel out of place. I also made sure I wore a nice top.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Passenger

The last couple of new ship announcements from Carnival only mentioned Shorts and Tank Tops in formal dinning. I have never worn jeans in the formal dinning room, but I will probably start.

Have fun, pack lite.

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Other then the first evening meal, we normally dress semi-formal for all of the dinner meals. To us, dressing for dinner is part of the cruise experience. On formal night, we dress to the hilt!

But, then again, that is us. We would not wear jeans in the dinning room for the evening meal.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 97
Carnival Fantasy 98
Carnival Imagination 03
Carnival Glory 05
Carnival Elation 07
Carnvial Triumph 08
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I really don't care if someone wears jeans, on a non-formal night, and it doesn't bother me at all to see them in the dining room.

The thing that perplexes me is that if someone is worried about weight; why would they pack jeans? They are heavy and take up more space than a pair of cotton slacks.

I wear jeans all the time (I'm wearing them now) but in the Caribbean or for traveling they are just too much. With a 50 lb. weight limit there are better alternatives. IMO

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me