Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default key west port area question

I know that there are a lot of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance of the ship - but are there any beaches also within a few blocks of the ship (or where the tender docks?) I'd love to check out shops AND get in an hour or two of beach time when I'm there.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I don't really recall seeing any beaches near the port when we were there. But truthfull it was a week or so after a bad hurricane went through so we were probably not paying too much attention in that area to the beach situation, I do recall seeing a beach at the southern most point marker area. This is a marker that shows the most southern point of the United States. You can take an inexpensive cab ride down there or rent a golf cart or scooter.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I don't really recall seeing any beaches near the port when we were there. But truthfull it was a week or so after a bad hurricane went through so we were probably not paying too much attention in that area to the beach situation, I do recall seeing a beach at the southern most point marker area. This is a marker that shows the most southern point of the United States. You can take an inexpensive cab ride down there or rent a golf cart or scooter.
Thanks, there is an excursion to that southernmost beach, I just hoped there was one closer to the shopping, etc. so I could do beach/shopping more easily. perhaps I'll just skip the beach and can do a beach Cozumel instead.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I answered another post you had regarding Key West. There is a beach close to where the ships dock in the downtown area....Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, you can access it by foot or car thru the Truman Annex. There is a small admission fee...the beach has lounge chair rentals, picnic tables, snack bar, etc. Wear water shoes because the beach has lots of shells, it's beautiful there.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Michelle, I answered another post you had regarding Key West. There is a beach close to where the ships dock in the downtown area....Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, you can access it by foot or car thru the Truman Annex. There is a small admission fee...the beach has lounge chair rentals, picnic tables, snack bar, etc. Wear water shoes because the beach has lots of shells, it's beautiful there.
Thanks - what about the shops, restaurant? Are they all right by the pier?

Thanks again!
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Thanks - what about the shops, restaurant? Are they all right by the pier?

Thanks again!
I answered on the other thread too, so not sure if you saw my post. The whole area is about 4.5 miles square. I think its about 3 miles to the Southern Most Point that a lot of folks go to and then stroll back. Nothing is much over 4 miles or you are into the water, lol. So, it depends on what you consider walking distance? You can find tons of maps of Key West, maybe take a look and decide which things to do. When you get off there is Mallory Square real close, watching the sun set is the biggie there. Its like a big festive with street vendors. Everyone claps as the sun goes down. I think I remember your ship leaves though before this?

There are TONS of shops and restuarants close by. I had made a lot of plans when we went in early April....sounded great, a nice stroll. What I forgot to plan was the weather and my sister's health. It was about 92 degrees and blistering hot when the Rhapsody docked. Dont know about you, but I suddenly got a lot less ambitious when I stepped out to the 92 degree heat and high humidity. I felt like I was going to melt.

If you feel up to it rent a motorized scooter or the like. Walking sounded better until we got there.