Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
First Mate

Default DH anxious about doing Jamaica shore excursions

Looks like we'll just be staying on the ship!
Any advice?

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can definitely go off the ship at that port but its always suggested to do any excursion through the cruise line. I definitely recommend doing the Dunns River Falls excursion, totally worth it and fun! We had such a good time. Really try to convince your husband that it is quite safe. If it wasnt safe the cruise lines would just skip it and take it off their itineraries.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Beginner

Default Go or not to go, that is the question

DH says I love you and will go wherever you want to go.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:16 AM
Captain

It seems like to me one incident has sure gotten a lot of press. Other ports are equally poor and you just have to really take care, but something can happen anywhere.

We have burlaries here where I live that to me are just as bad as that one in Jamaica that got all the press.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

When we go back to Jamaica on the Carnival Freedom in 09, we are planning on the Bob Marley tour.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 97
Carnival Fantasy 98
Carnival Imagination 03
Carnival Glory 05
Carnival Elation 07
Carnvial Triumph 08
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: DH anxious about doing Jamaica shore excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisschool
Any advice?
I dont blame you, after that last incident which to me is a wake up call and an indication that things are not getting any better there. We both would stay onboard the ship in Jamaica.

Jamaica having the most murder rate per capita in the world next to Colombia, you would think that the cruiselines would pull out of there already.

I know that crimes happen everywhere, even locally where you live, but Im not going on vacation to get hurt or possibly killed.

Fred
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisschool
Any advice?
Get out there and have fun......we've been to Ochio Rios a couple of times and despite what you hear, we've always had a great time. Once we WALKED to Dunns River Falls from the dock, it's not that much of a walk, maybe 30-45 minutes max. Never felt threatened, even when we walked around town, although I must admit to having been propositioned to buy whatever the buggers were selling twice, the Captain told them to P Off.

The first time we were there, we rented a car from Budget, we pick up the car, get full insurance coverage, just in case, the last thing the SOB tells us before we head off is that even though we had full coverage, tyres are NOT covered.
When I quizzed him why, he says "You'll find out soon enough" Talk about potholes, they have craters there and oncoming traffic will swerve onto opposing traffic just to navigate around the darn potholes and you better get out of the way, cuz they sure will not. The whole place is one huge obstacle course.
Made it back with the car just fine though.
We have had a great time and would go back there in a heartbeat.

But, it's just the Captain's crazy opinion, others will sure differ on this one.

Captain
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Once we WALKED to Dunns River Falls from the dock, it's not that much of a walk, maybe 30-45 minutes max.
I say, The Captain is Crazy lol, no way will I walk in 103 degrees weather and with 105% humidity. Give me a Cab with A/C right now !!!

Fred
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wennfred
Quote:
Once we WALKED to Dunns River Falls from the dock, it's not that much of a walk, maybe 30-45 minutes max.
I say, The Captain is Crazy lol, no way will I walk in 103 degrees weather and with 105% humidity. Give me a Cab with A/C right now !!!

Fred

Fred, the Mrs thinks so too, but then she always tags along! And she's always up to the challenge!

As for the heat, we're used to it. Once we hiked in Kings Canyon in the Australian outback in SCORCHING heat like 110 degrees, being attacked by flys by the millions (anyone who has been to the Australian outback knows what I am talking about) and to top it off, we forgot our slouch hats/nets in the car, ended up covering our heads in plastic bags LMAO that nearly suffocated us.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Fred, the Mrs thinks so too, but then she always tags along! And she's always up to the challenge!
Thats pretty cool, coming from a Tropical climate like Puerto Rico, I can handle it but Wendy on the other hand will be passed out in 5 minutes. She can't handle the heat.

Fred
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Captain

margaret, a couple of us are going to try sunset beach resort (if they are open with the weather stuff), i hear its nice, quiet (i think the rooms are under revision so quite empty maybe) with water park, some "ok" food and all you can drink...nice area to snorkle etc. Feel free to tag with us, or leave hubby on ship and tag with us .

We'll do something when we get there, were not going to land on jamaica's port and just sit, we'll venture out if anything for the thrill of it.

Dunns is fun if youve never been there, but we have so wont do that most likely....ocho rios is pretty far i thought...might be wrong, i thought it was over an hours drive.

If worse comes to worse we might even snoker down the moola and go to sandals... who knows. We'll figure it out honey!

On that note...quick story. In '94 hubby had quite long hair (remember the era lol..hair bands, we were in our 20's) anyway he rarely even drinks let alone thing of doing drugs....so were out in the town of ocho rios thinking it would be like mexico...um no.

This huge (sp) raustafarian dude keeps trying to sell hubby ganja or cocaine and he keeps saying nooooo. this guy follows hubby haggling like in a mexican market. Finally MAMA BEAR (me) gets pissy. We were with another couple...and i look at the guy who with his hair and hat looked 7 ft tall...and said WHAT PART OF NO DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? WOULD "F" NO HELP YOU??!! (only i didnt say F, i said the whole word...and loudly)

Well i've never seen anyone with a more shocked expression, i swear this tiny albino (ok not tiny but not all that big in my 20s lol) woman who cussed him out loudly in public FREAKED him out! He profusely apologized and RAN for it. My friends husband looked down at me and said "before this trip is over your going to get us killed"....nah, anytime anyone started to bug us, it was ME who told them to bug off....the guys were chickens.

Not that i would want to try this now days, as i'm older fatter and i think jamaicas worse now, but still i laugh at that memory!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
My friends husband looked down at me and said "before this trip is over your going to get us killed !
Thats pretty funny.

Fred
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Passenger

In June we took a cab to the falls with 3 teenagers. 40 bucks round trip, 15 bucks per person to get in and we climbed it twice without a guide. Felt perfectly safe the whole time just hasseled to purchase every damn thing in the world. You don't have to take an organized excursion or pay for a guide it's easier to cue for a cab and go.

If you don't want to go to the falls but want to experience just a bit. As you leave the port directly on your right is a brown privacy fence, there is an authentic Jamacian bar there with a live reggae band. It is owned by locals and not a tourist trap. We spent two hours there and had a terrific time.

If you prefer more touristy stuff walk a little further up on the right and there is a tourist village built with shops, a beach club and Margaritville. All very safe but designed for tourists so little authenticty here.

There are tons of port gaurds in all these areas and you should feel just as safe as at home.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Go or not to go, that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingthroughlife

DH says I love you and will go wherever you want to go.
Thanks, sweetheart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Well i've never seen anyone with a more shocked expression, i swear this tiny albino (ok not tiny but not all that big in my 20s lol) woman who cussed him out loudly in public FREAKED him out! He profusely apologized and RAN for it. My friends husband looked down at me and said "before this trip is over your going to get us killed"....nah, anytime anyone started to bug us, it was ME who told them to bug off....the guys were chickens.
...but I think we should hang with Liz!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

we just got back from there and had no problems at all and i have to young kids 7 and 10. We went to the bamboo beach club. it was really close to the ship and awesome food and drinks. no one ever bothered us.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Admiral

You'll have fun in Jamaica. Get off the ship and experience the island. Do the falls. Book it throught the ship. Ocho Rios is fun too. You have traveled a long way don't stop now. 8)

Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Jewel OTS 3/2016
Harmony OTS 12/2016
Serenade OTS 12/2016
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
First Mate

Do people really like the falls? I thought it was just a long, wet, slippery line.

Perhaps I was there on a bad day.

We have just as beautiful streams in NY that aren't a long line.

Brian

Sensation
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Do people really like the falls? I thought it was just a long, wet, slippery line.

Perhaps I was there on a bad day.

We have just as beautiful streams in NY that aren't a long line.

Brian
kinda how i felt, but hey its pretty and safe, tho very touristy. It was a day killer for us on a 12 day trip to jamaica, we were there TOO long...
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Passenger

Well I recommend for may cruise types to take and excursion from the ship. The Bob Marley one is great. Good sounds, funny knowledgable guides. If you want to smoke you can only do it at the Marley estate (its actually the only place its legal in Jamaica) but not on the tour bus. Included in the tour is all the red stripe you can drink or rum punch or bottled water. the buss winds up Fern Valley. New growth rain forest but quite nice. After lunch of jerked pork or chicken and black beans they bring you back to within about 150 yards of the ship. You have to walk through a rather annoying tourist shopping area. (both montego and ocho rios) but the higglers (hustlers) are not allowed there by the police.

The Banana plantion and the mansion tours are also nice and very safe and very interesting.

Margaritavile is well.... Margaritaville. If you like to drink with other white people and see college girls dancing in bikini tops and short shorts and eat american style cheesburgers its fine. No where in the world is totally safe, and I even find higglers somewhat intimidating. They do money changing schemes and all sorts of tom foolery.

Sure, get off the ship. John NM
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Captain

funny you say lots of money games.

When we were there in early 90's we went to a market, where the workers were fighting over us. I bought this little turtle and paid..he kept giving me free stuff, lots of free stuff, he loved me. Well i found out i paied 90.00 instead of like 3.00. He refunded my money and let me keep one of the "gifts"...he wasnt thrilled with it, but figured he just got a months salary at once.