Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Beginner

Default Gumbalimba Park (Rotan, Honduras)on own

Has anyone gone to Gumbalimba Park on their own without booking the excusion through carnival? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

A few questions...

Are you female?
Are you traveling alone or with female companions only?

If you are female, and traveling alone or only with other females, I would not recommend doing anything in Roatan on your own. My friend and I asked the shopping guy about doing stuff on our own after our excursion and he said "is it just you two?" We said yes to which came a reply of "Don't. Get back on the ship. It's not safe for you two to be out on your own."

Once we got into the van for our excursion and drove through town, we saw why. The potential for kidnapping looked incredible. And generally, nothing scares me.

If you are traveling with a group, see if you can find a reputable company to take you out. Otherwise, book through the ship.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Beginner

I will be with 7 total people. Husband, 2 kids,3 grandmothers.
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
A few questions...

Are you female?
Are you traveling alone or with female companions only?

If you are female, and traveling alone or only with other females, I would not recommend doing anything in Roatan on your own. My friend and I asked the shopping guy about doing stuff on our own after our excursion and he said "is it just you two?" We said yes to which came a reply of "Don't. Get back on the ship. It's not safe for you two to be out on your own."

Once we got into the van for our excursion and drove through town, we saw why. The potential for kidnapping looked incredible. And generally, nothing scares me.

If you are traveling with a group, see if you can find a reputable company to take you out. Otherwise, book through the ship.

kidnaping on Roatan???? Come on Cutie, you must be pulling our legs, all of them!!!!!
been there numerous times, friends of mine own the BITE ON THE BEACH restaurant and the WESTBAY LODGE..........never ever had any bad experiences there............and the local people, although mostly poor and uneducated ARE very friendly.
Sounds to me me your CD/Shopping Consultant scared the living daylights out of you for nothing.

BY ALL MEANS, ENJOY ROATAN! SAFE AND FRIENDLY AS CAN BE! I spak from first-hand experience and numerous visits there.

Captain
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Well, sorry Captain, it didn't look very safe to us. Not to mention my friend's mom was worried we were going to be kidnapped by pirates (I kid you not, she sent a prayer list to church one night asking for our safety...specifically from Hondurian pirates...) so we just got back on the ship.

The SC did say "Don't if it's just you two." And when we went into town, we didn't think it looked safe. So we used our judgement and came back...I strongly believe if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. So we didn't.

Guess we missed something. If I ever make it back there, I'll have to visit your friends' Bite on the Beach and make my way around town more.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:56 AM
Captain

Iv been to Roatan myself and it was my very favorite port. We grabbed a taxi outside of the port, even though it was more expensive and the driver took us anywhere we wanted for $20 pp.

we never felt unsafe with him and we were two females.

I do think if you dont bother to get out of the poorer area by the port, you dont realize how beautiful Roatan really is. I used to live in Hawaii and the interior riding up thru the junglely area reminded me somehow of the countryside in Hawaii. I loved the ride and seeing how people really live and women with their laundry on their heads. West End was amazing and gorgeous.

dont stay by the port. You wouldnt be sorry.
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:04 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Well, sorry Captain, it didn't look very safe to us. Not to mention my friend's mom was worried we were going to be kidnapped by pirates (I kid you not, she sent a prayer list to church one night asking for our safety...specifically from Hondurian pirates...) so we just got back on the ship.

The SC did say "Don't if it's just you two." And when we went into town, we didn't think it looked safe. So we used our judgement and came back...I strongly believe if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. So we didn't.

Guess we missed something. If I ever make it back there, I'll have to visit your friends' Bite on the Beach and make my way around town more.
I think you made a good call, cuticat. It's called, "female intuition".....
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
Quote:

You guys are so funny, guess we are all different. I had booked Voyager of the Sea because of the price of $599, and cancelled because it was going to Jamaica....decided to fork over the extra money so I could go back to Roatan. I dont consider myself particularly brave either. lololol. I meant it, Roatan was my favorite port. Its the one port where I thought to myself I would love to come back and live or stay for a week. So, Im paying the extra for a week on Voyager which alternates its itineraries each week.

Pics of 1. port area where you can see up to where once you get up thru these sort of low moutains the views are wonderfull 2. our taxi driver we got at the port 3. the pier at some very expensive looking housing developement obviously for people with money, he took us for "photo ops" as he called it on our drive and shopping trip. Wish I had pics of West End, it is beautiful, Id have no qualms staying for a week. Lots of money on this island and if it was unsafe you wouldnt have expensive housing being built. I think you should give it another go. You missed my favorite port so far. Grab a taxi at the port next time.

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Admiral

We went on a dolphin swim excursion and the jungle and area we went to were beautiful. But after that we knew nothing of Roatan, who to get/where to go, because we hadn't researched it. It was my first cruise on my own, and her first cruise period. If we go back we'll get out more.
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Roatan is my alltime favorite island - and I am female, travel alone and have never felt unsafe there. Some of the best snorkeling ever - friendly people. Go to Fosters West Bay for the day - you'll never want to leave. Katie
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
Quote:

You guys are so funny, guess we are all different. I had booked Voyager of the Sea because of the price of $599, and cancelled because it was going to Jamaica....decided to fork over the extra money so I could go back to Roatan. I dont consider myself particularly brave either. lololol. I meant it, Roatan was my favorite port. Its the one port where I thought to myself I would love to come back and live or stay for a week. So, Im paying the extra for a week on Voyager which alternates its itineraries each week.

Pics of 1. port area where you can see up to where once you get up thru these sort of low moutains the views are wonderfull 2. our taxi driver we got at the port 3. the pier at some very expensive looking housing developement obviously for people with money, he took us for "photo ops" as he called it on our drive and shopping trip. Wish I had pics of West End, it is beautiful, Id have no qualms staying for a week. Lots of money on this island and if it was unsafe you wouldnt have expensive housing being built. I think you should give it another go. You missed my favorite port so far. Grab a taxi at the port next time.

All I was saying is, if something doesn't feel right, then stay clear. Our gift of intuition is a way of protection (usually). Who's to say that she wasn't "picking up" on someone who was in her immediate area and was planning to harm her? Of course, this applies for anywhere we are, whether home or abroad.
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Passenger

I was in Roatan this last wednesday, 9/19 and asked at the port when we got off the ship about Gumbalimba Park and the port information desk said it had to be booked thru the cruise ship. I had also asked via their website and the gentleman mentioned that he had a deal with the cruise ship. So to answer the question, it doesn't seem possible. One thing we learned, don't go to the Iguana Farm. A really big rip off, even at $5, it is nothing but 100 iguanas in your path, a couple fish, a couple little local animals, no more than 5 min to see the entire thing, we got ripped by the shore tour people on that one, plus we got charged to go to the beach, West Bay. Not that that is so bad, but we were not told in advance that there would be any extra charges, so it cost us an extra $20 for 2 people. I heard there were other things to do, Tababa (i think that is it), take a taxi to that beach, no charge to get in and lots of things to do there I was told, wish we had gone.
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were in a group of 3 couples so felt a little safer - got a van (and made sure of the price ahead of time and that the driver would stay with us - learned the ahrd way the first time there) and for $15 a person went to West Bay Beach. Local people were high on crack at the beach - no joke... The little kids would get real close to you in the water (looked liked they were trying to pick the guys pockets - there is a huge beach no need to be that close. Almost stole the bag on the chair so someone always had to stay on the chair by the bags. (You had to pay per chair)Also saw women being led away and drugs were being sold so NO I did not feel safe there at all and do not intend to go back. The driver told us that everyone that could leave has and a lot of mainland Honduras people are moving in... Be careful - if you want to have a good time I'd take a tour. The beach is beautiful but BE CAREFUL... debbie