Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default MY BOAT HAS BEEN SWITCHED !!!!!

I just found out that my trip in 2/09 which was originally supposed to be on Imagination has been switched to Destiny. I did a lot of research on the boats prior to booking this cruise and thought this would be a great boat for my family of 5 (3 boys-heaven help me ) They will be 5,9, and 10 at the time of the cruise. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Destiny ship vs Imagination? I still have plenty of time to change to another cruise if this boat is not the best boat for us.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Admiral

While the Destiny is one of the very few Carnival ships that I've not sailed, I can tell you that they are both about the same age, (Destiny 1996, and Imagination 1995), but the Destiny is almost 1/3rd larger than the Imagination, and probably will have a few more activities for you, and your family. I'd bet that you'll find Destiny to be an excellent cruise, and I personally wouldn't hesitate for a second sailing Destiny. I say, GO FOR IT, and have a wonderful cruise.

Ken
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
First Mate

i also sailed on the destiny while it did the southern carrib. now it is moving to florida. it is a little old but a big ship with a lot to do. stay with it , you will enjoy.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the info. How can you tell it's a little old?
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
How can you tell it's a little old?
Usually, you can't! Carnival does a very good job of keeping their ships in "ship shape". Frankly, it's my opinion that some of the older ships have features that I personally like much better than the new ones, but that's just a matter of preference. Once again, I wouldn't worry about the ship being 10 years old, or 2 years old. There honestly isn't much difference. You're going to have a great time, regardless.

Ken
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Passenger

Stay with it, but complain....maybe you'll get an upgrade!
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on the victory and the triump, sister ships of Destiny. I think you'll like it. But I would advise you to contact carnival in writing and let them know that you specifically booked that ship for personal reasons. I am sure you will get an onboard credit or something.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old October 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Captain

Destiny is not that old In fact I have the book they gave out on her maiden voyage. I think it was 1996 or 7 as I won it in a raffle
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Admiral

This is kinda like that travel commercial on television where the passenger is checking in for air travel. The employees take him to the side where there is a large spin wheel and the "prizes" are little plane or big plane. They spin it while encouraging the others to root for a "big plane". Sadly, he lands on a small plane and is cramped.

You won the "big ship" on this play.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mehawk-thanks for making me feel so much better!! I'm sure it will be great.
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
thanks for the info. How can you tell it's a little old?
Normally the only way we can tell is by going out to a website and checking out the stats. (I listed one for you)

http://shipstips.com/carnivaldestiny.htm

There are normally great pics and reviews of all the ships as well.

Enjoy your cruise!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Also peaking of switches, this will date me, Mom used to get a switch and switch my behind often when I was a child. Ouch!!

She would make me get the switch myself alot.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: MY BOAT HAS BEEN SWITCHED !!!!!

Quote:
I just found out that my trip in 2/09 which was originally supposed to be on Imagination has been switched to Destiny. I did a lot of research on the boats prior to booking this cruise and thought this would be a great boat for my family of 5 (3 boys-heaven help me ) They will be 5,9, and 10 at the time of the cruise. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Destiny ship vs Imagination? I still have plenty of time to change to another cruise if this boat is not the best boat for us.

Having cruised both of those ships more than once, I really believe you lucked out.... The Destiny is a bigger ship so it gives the boys more things to do and lots more "running around" room!!! Plus, quite honestly, when I think Imagaination vs Destiny, I think "party cruise" to "family cruise"....

Complaining probably won't get you a thing because Carnival has given you plently of time to change your mind or cancel without penalty. I say gooooooooo and have a gr8t time....

Oh, and don't let the Staff hear you call their "Ship" a "boat".... they'll throw you overboard!!!!
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Also peaking of switches, this will date me, Mom used to get a switch and switch my behind often when I was a child. Ouch!!

She would make me get the switch myself alot.
WHOOOO,,,Mehawk, are you my brother???? My Mom always did exactly the same thing. She always made me go out and select the "switch" with which she would tan my behind for some infraction! I'll never forget that, and it made me a better person IMO.
Thanks for the memories! 8)

Ken
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Admiral

I've sailed on older and brand new ship's and didn't that much difference. Size makes a difference from my experience. The larger the ship the better the ride...at least from MY experience.
I've sailed on the Imagination's sister the Inspiration and the Conquest class Valor which is similar to the Destiny class. Both are great, but the bigger Carnival ships seem to have more to offer.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">