Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Admiral

I don't get it ! Why has this became such as sensitive issue? Why are so many adamant about wearing jeans? Right now I'm wearing jeans, so I like jeans, however I understand denim is NOT formal-wear. I can wear jeans to many or most occasions, but not to church, theater, or fine restaurants.
On two Alaskan cruises, jeans came in handy during the day while in port.. On Caribbean cruises, there was no need to even pack them since they do tend to be hot. In Mississippi it's too hot and humid for me to wear them from May until October. The trousers I have are of a lighter material than denim.
And NO...I'm not attempting to force my will on anyone. 8) I do however feel that cruise-lines should expect a reasonable dress code adherence. Where will loosening dress standards lead to? First jeans are OK, then tennis shoes, then t-shirts, then shorts, then flip-flops, and so on.. Who knows...that's just my 2 cents.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Passenger

I wore a pair of jeans on my last cruise to the dining room on a casual night. They were an $80 (not that price matters...but might get a point across to some) pair from Express...very dressy nice pair of jeans...Topped it off with a dressy shirt and a pair of heels....looked GREAT! Of course, i would not want to see a little old lady wearing the same pair of jeans n heels...just wouldnt look right haha...but esp for people my age 20s and 30s...we females look very nice in jeans and can make any pair look more dressy or casual depending on the event.. Noone in thier right mind should enter the dining room with baggy and ripped jeans...but if you have a nice pair and pair with a nice dress shirt...i don't see anything wrong witih wearing them.

If you don't agree...then just don't look me or the person wearing the jeans. 8)
CARNIVAL SENSATION-NOV '08
CARNIVAL FASCINATION- MAY '10
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Problem is people hear the word jeans and think this.

However, it is possible to wear a pair of jeans and not even have people realize it. The whole package is more important then just one element. If the cruise line does not restrict it and the outfit is tasteful I don't see a problem. Your wearing jeans doesn't impact my cruise so long as the outfit is tastful. However, good taste can not be defined by a dress code. This man below could wear this outfit (not on formal night) in the dining room. Note: no tennis shoes and the use of a tie.
WONDERFUL Example.
CARNIVAL SENSATION-NOV '08
CARNIVAL FASCINATION- MAY '10
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
I don't get it ! Why has this became such as sensitive issue? Why are so many adamant about wearing jeans? Right now I'm wearing jeans, so I like jeans, however I understand denim is NOT formal-wear. We agree with this Jeans would can be right if wore on Formal night. I can wear jeans to many or most occasions, but not to church, theater, or fine restaurants.
On two Alaskan cruises, jeans came in handy during the day while in port.. On Caribbean cruises, there was no need to even pack them since they do tend to be hot. In Mississippi it's too hot and humid for me to wear them from May until October. The trousers I have are of a lighter material than denim.
And NO...I'm not attempting to force my will on anyone. 8) I do however feel that cruise-lines should expect a reasonable dress code adherence. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. This is from Carnival's website Jeans are not listed on Carnival's website as "not permitted" in the dining room. If fact jeans are not addressed at all. If you can find a place on Carnival's website that says jeans are "not permitted" in the dining room then I would follow the dress code and not wear jeans in the dining room. Where will loosening dress standards lead to? First jeans are OK, then tennis shoes, then t-shirts, then shorts, then flip-flops, and so on.. Who knows...that's just my 2 cents.
Thanks Kloud9kutie I'm glad you liked my example I felt we need pictures because the term "jeans" is causing people to think sloppy and under dressed that is not always the case.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to crabby apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed
This is my first time here and I have to say, it seems to be a hostile and judgmental environment.

At the risk of starting another flame war, I just came across this thread and I'd like to say that I for one prefer wearing jeans. I'm a software developer (I also own 3 businesses) and jeans are the standard business attire, although I opt for collared shirts rather than the T-Shirts some programmers favor. I have always preferred thick clothes, both shirts and trousers. Where I live in Australia it often gets over 40C (104F) in Summer but I wear jeans and still find them comfortable. I don't know why some find them uncomfortable but that's ok. I'm talking about dark coloured, clean jeans, not the holey, torn, frayed and/or simulated dirty, worn "fashion" types. Those ones look way past their "Use By" date. I throw mine out whenever they start to look even mildly worn. Maybe jeans are different in the US.

I don't know what "dockers" are? Here it's someone who works at the ship docking yards so that gives me a probably incorrect image of clothes a lot rougher than jeans. I own a number of suits, business shirts and, at last count, 47 ties, but I would much rather dine in a good clean pair of dark jeans and a nice shirt than that gear. Of course, formal nights are totally different.

Sometimes I wear jeans to dinner, and sometimes I wear business trousers. At all times I dress smartly and am always well groomed. I think the key is "dressed smartly" rather than the grade of fabric worn. Track suit pants are never going to look smart IMHO. It's funny how some people like to generalise and pigeon-hole other people. I like to wear jeans and yet I'm not a slob, nor do I drink alcohol (ever), or take any other form of intoxicating substance, so you won't find me acting obnoxiously in a restaurant or exhibiting raucous behavior. I'm a compassionate, generally positive, and fun loving person. I get on well with most people, and try not to judge because everyone is different and unique in their own way. I don't have the attitude that "I'll wear whatever I damn well want to and to hell with everyone else", and I'd hazard a guess that many of the people that are dressed smartly in jeans don't either.

As long as someone dresses smartly (see above) at dinner I really don't care what they wear. I'm more interested in people's true nature rather in the clothes they wear or what they can afford. Some people like to present a facade of sophistication and superiority, and act all pompous, which I find irritating and arrogant. I prefer down to earth people that aren't trying to be someone else. Some people seem to spend all their time worrying about what other people and doing and wearing, and get annoyed because people don't adhere to their view of the world. Me, I'll enjoy myself regardless. Not that I'm saying anyone here is like that.

FWIW.

Steve
Very well said. I have seen women who are 'dressed up' who need to COVER UP some of themselves and jeans would have done it nicely. Just because someone is wearing clothing that is more formal does not make them look better.

There is a saying for that but I am not remembering the whole thing. I will post it when I REMEMBER IT

1st- 1998 to South and Central America, don't even remember the cruise line!
2nd-Celebration with our son 12/07
3rd-Glory with our son 12/08
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Beginner

Shh, don't tell anyone >BigCraig< will be wearing baggies to all dinners including formal 8)
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Admiral

I am of the opinion that the young man in Katlady's second photo is adequately dressed EVEN FOR formal nights. He looks quite presentable. Those who claim he is technically wearing denim, so he is an "insult to the ambassador" (gratuitous Flintstone reference) need to get a life and do an inner value check.

I also do believe most cruise lines use the word "suggested" in their dress guidelines.

For the record... I intend to wear new, black denim on my next cruise. Maybe on formal night too. It's what I'm comfortable wearing, and I think I look presentable. Maybe not technically to code, but presentable. I don't think I dress slovenly by any means. I'm not a suit person, never was, never will be. I'm not cruising to impress anybody, I'm on vacation.

If my attire puts your panties in a bunch, then thank goodness I have the pleasure of NOT knowing you. Judgemental ain't the word....... If it really, really bugs you so much.... you are cordially invited to just bite me.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008