Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Upgrades....a poll

I am curious ...how many cruises have you guys on here been on...and how many of them did you book a lesser category guarantee and actually moved up to a higher category? So far we have been on 7 cruises and no upgrades have been given. Is that just a rare thing? I thought after multiple cruises on the same line it might happen but just got my latest cabin assignment and was not upgraded once again.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have gotten upgrades almost always on Carnival. With the exception of my first two cruises with them. Not always from inside to outside or window to balcony. Some have been just an upgrade to a higher deck but still inside.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 7th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on 21 cruises and a number of them have been for guarantee cabins. Most upgrades have just been to a higher deck. I have gotten 2 inside to outside, 1 outside to balcony, and 1 balcony to mini-suite. For those 4 cruises, I had booked way in advance. I think that improves the chance for getting a good upgrade.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Admiral

We've done well over 100 cruises, and booked a GTY on approximately 25 of them. I'd guess we've gotten upgraded on 75% of them, but once again, only within the same type of cabin. We almost always book the lowest deck GTY, and wind up on a much higher deck, but the same type cabin. Only once or twice have we been given a balcony with an OV GTY, or an ocean view with an inside GTY.

Good luck,

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM
First Mate

Have been on 5 carnivals and no upgrades for me..
I always book balcony and pick my room so maybe
thats why I have not received a upgrade.
Like to know where I am on the ship before I get on.
always floor 7 or 8 for all of them.
dont want to worry about getting a balcony with
life boats blocking my view. and that would be my luck.
I guess from what I read if you book a inside room or
window you might be getting more up grades not really
sure. Will ask my TA how you get upgraded...
One of these days maybe just maybe they will move he
up alittle higher.. lol

Liberty April 26th 2008...
I think 142 more days...
Sammy
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:02 AM
First Mate

I don't book guarantees. I book the balcony room I want on Lido. Three cruises and one upgrade to a suite. Very exciting when it happens.
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
First Mate

23 cruises, 7 were 8A guarantees. Only 1 upgrade to Varanda deck we had 8A upper somewhere on the other 6. Just got another 8A upper on the Freedom don't know about the Miracle yet any day. We don't worry about it , 8A Military/ guarantees are a great price with CCL.
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Familiar Face

Our 1st cruise on Carnival was a balcomny and we were upgraded to a Cat. 12 suite. We knew it was a different room completely and became hooked on cruising and have always gone with a balcony because of this. Have gotten moved up higher on upgrades. But have always wondered if 1st up grade was to tempt us. It did and love to cruise ! We also always book as early as possible.
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Next week is only our second cruise. The first, in 2005, we booked one room, OV guarantee, and were upgraded to Spa Deck on the Victory. We had that wonderful floor to ceiling window. This year we booked 3 rooms. 2 OV connecting rooms (both with windows) and one balcony. None were upgraded. We were hoping that the kids' rooms would be upgraded as they are on Main deck and an upgrade for us to a mini-suite would have been lovely, but it just didn't happen. I wouldn't worry about upgrades. They are nice but for us, the cruise is bonus enough.

Old December 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

what I would like to know is how and when do you ask for the upgrade without sounding awful.
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have fbeen on three cruises and no upgrades have been given. I did book two on an upgrade sale, but both were cabins we selected. We are going in February and as far as I know we still have a Cat 11 suite, but if they bumped us up to Cat 12, I wouldn't turn them down.

I would never book a guarantee for a particular deck, no, I'll pick the cabin I want because I want to be close to the central atrium. I also won't get an inside or a oceanview, it MUST be a balcony, or if I can swing it, a suite.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Never really thought that moving up a deck was really an upgrade. I like to know the cabin I book before hand. Would'nt pass up a mini suite tho.
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Six of my seven cruises have been booked as guarantees.

Five of those six cruises have been true category upgrades (inside to outside, outside to suite and outside to balcony).

This last cruise was a balcony 8A to 8C upgrade.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Admiral

We have been on 30 cruises-- after the first couple we started booking the cabin we wanted. I am like some others-- moving up a deck is not necessarily an upgrade.
We are going on a Carnival cruise in a few weeks and although we had booked the balcony cabin we wanted, they did contact our T.A. to see if we would take an upgrade to a suite. After checking where the suite was located, we took it. As a general rule, I never think about an "upgrade "--- as stated, we book what we want to begin with. But, that's just me.
Others seem to feel if they can move up a deck, they must be getting something more for their money.
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Of my 7 or so guaranteed reservations, I was upgraded maybe 6 of those times but only as far as Cat. 4A-D. Never to a OV or higher.

After my last cruise, I will ALWAY book a guarantee (Cat 1A). However, I have been on enough cruises on Carnival ships that I now know where the best Cat. 1A's are located. My next Carnival cruise, I selected my Cat 1A cabin. It is one of those with the two picture windows.

On my last cruise (Glory), I went with a group which booked me in a Cat 4 Guarantee. I paid 4A price but was upgrade to a 4D. I didn't particularly care for this cabin. I am a solo cruiser and can easily sleep in one twin bed. In fact, I prefer it so that I will have somewhere to lay my clothes out or more floor space. Therefore, I like the way the older ships have the twin beds in a "L" configuration or the Cat 1A's that only have one bed on the floor. This means loads and loads of floor space to move around or a bed to lay out my clothes without giving up floor space.

On the Glory I had one of the Cat 4's where the beds are parallel to each other. These level of cabins are definitely smaller than Cat 4's on the olders ships because the cabin was not large enough to turn the beds into an "L" shape. Quite tight (and it was just me).

After that experience, I will now book a Cat. 1A based on my own personal knowledge of how the cabins are configured. I don't need a window or balcony because I am never in the room. However, I like to have plenty of space to walk around as I get dressed, etc.

The better Cat 1A's are as follows:

On most Carnival ships there are two Cat. 1A cabins with picture windows. They are on Main Deck Aft. On Main Deck Forward there are 4 Cat 1A's with portholes -- very large -- one bed and a sofa and plenty of floor space.

There are also two Cat 1A cabins on Riviera Aft that are right around the corner from the Aft elevator. They are like studio apts. They have only one bed on the floor, a nice chair and TV table area for relaxing and unbelievable floor space. It is easily larger than the other inside cabins but because of its location (basically backing up to the elevator -- NO NOISE), there is no way to put two beds on the floor side by side or in a L shape. Hence the designation of Cat 1A. However, they are very nice for one person or two friends or siblings. There are a few more cabins just like this further up on the ship but I have not been in those personally.

Look for the Cat 1A's that sit by themselves. That means it is an odd shaped space and not necessarily an inferior or smaller cabin.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Captain

The best one we have had was from a 6D guarantee to a cat 12 suite on the Elation. Most have been just a higher floor but still same room type. The best way to get an upgrade from one room type to the next is to book the highest catagory guarantee like we did on the Elation. Instead of booking an oceanview guarantee 6A we booked a 6D guarantee so they only upgrade we could get was up to either a cat 11 or 12 suite. In April my daughter booked a cat 6A guarantee and was upgraded to an 8A balcony placing her with the other 2 cabins we had in our party.

for our cruise on the Valor on the 30th, We have 4 cabins in our party. 3 of us booked balcony rooms (no guarantee) and the 4th one booked an 1A guarantee because if his traveling alone. he was upgraded to a 4D placing him on the same floor as 1 of our other cabins.

AKcruiser
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to crabby apple

so, if the TA asked me if I wanted to pick my cabin.....and I did.......that actually is a bad thing then?

1st- 1998 to South and Central America, don't even remember the cruise line!
2nd-Celebration with our son 12/07
3rd-Glory with our son 12/08
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby apple
so, if the TA asked me if I wanted to pick my cabin.....and I did.......that actually is a bad thing then?
That depends. If you really hate cabins in the bow of the ship, you may want to pick a cabin, because a gaurantee might give you a cabin right at the very front. When booking a guarantee, you have to be willing to take ANY cabin in that class or a higher class. You have no control over which cabin they will give you. And your chances of changing it once it's been assigned are almost nil.

As for me, I'd be happy in any outside cabin as long as I was on the ship, so I generally just book a 6A guarantee. However, some promotions require you to pick a cabin - such as the best available cabin promotion where you book a 6A and you get the best OV cabin they have available at a 6A price.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, ok, more confused now! Does not matter I guess, our ship is FULL......woah!

Old December 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

What I am hearing then...the best thing is to book the highest cabin avail (in your price range)..book it only as a guarantee and hope for the best? Also, has anyone ever been actually at the port checking in and asked for an upgrage and gotten it? Is there a way to check before you leave for the cruise to see if the cruise is already complety full?
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail4cruising
What I am hearing then...the best thing is to book the highest cabin avail (in your price range)..book it only as a guarantee and hope for the best? Also, has anyone ever been actually at the port checking in and asked for an upgrage and gotten it? Is there a way to check before you leave for the cruise to see if the cruise is already complety full?
It has been my experience that the "ship full" sign is put up at every embarkation. That avoids the hassle of having to turn people down who want an upgrade when they get to the ship.

Sometimes when you go to check in, you find that you have been given a surprise upgrade. However, I don't think it is possible to get one by just asking at embarkation.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I checked online, no more rooms that fit 3 guests, only 3 that fit 2 guests.......bummer

Old December 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

While I cruised on the Freedom for Thanksgiving, my brother-in-law was sailing on the Miracle at the same time...he had sailed on one previous cruise and he was upgraded from a balcony to a suite. I called Carnival to ask them why they were upgraded and they told me there are many different criteria for upgrading passengers. They said if we booked our stateroom well in advance to take advantage of a good price, probability of being upgraded was nil. If someone books late and pays a hefty price for the stateroom, they are more likely to be upgraded because they paid way more than someone booking early. They also take into account special needs passengers, etc. Bottom line, I was told by the Carnival Rep that it's all a crap shoot. Also, Platinum status does not mean a darn thing.