Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Amtrak Veiwliner for liberty cruise Amtrak train review

Since these post have helped me in the past with a wealth of information I thought that I would return the favor and give some information to those that may want to take Amtrak to florida for their cruise. I hope it helps
We had my son drive us to Springfield Ma to catch the Shuttle to New Haven. At New Haven the Boston to New York train, would take us to Penn Station where we would get our train that goes to Florida. We decided to upgrade on the train from West Haven to New York from coach class to business. It was a few dollars more, but it does give you a nice car, that is the first car, behind the engine. This car is also located right next to the snack bar. If you want a snack then you won't have to walk through a bunch of cars to get there. You probably won't hear any children crying in business class. In business class you do get a few free drinks non alcholic by going to the snack car and showing them your business class tickets .The train from Springfield to New Haven is about one and a half hours ,you get off on the platform in New Haven and only have a ten minute wait for the next train to New York . The Boston to New York train arrives on the same platform, you just have to walk across the same platform to get on it. If you are in business class you should wait near the front top of the platform for that is where your car will be. When we arrived in Penn station pretty much on time it was funny to watch all the backed up traffic on the Bridge in New York. At Penn Station there are not that many seats but if you have a sleeper car then you can go into the Acela Club Lounge and show them your sleeper car tickets. By showing them your tickets they have a nice lounge with comfortable chairs and free drinks like soda and coffee and tea and snacks . Also in the acela club lounge they will announce your train before it goes out on the Station PA system, this way you can beat everyone to the gate. We had about a 45 minute wait at Penn Station and stayed in the lounge, watched TV and enjoyed our snacks. We had a viewliner car from Penn Station to West Palm Beach. There are a couple of types of sleeper cabins in a sleeper car. The viewliner is only good for two people then a four person room and a handicap room. The viewliner car is about half the cost of the larger bedroom car. Now take note in the viewliner car you have two seats that face the window a table that comes down in between those seats, a bed above you and a toilet with a pull down sink above the toilet. At first you wonder how they got everything in there. You have a shower at the end of the car. In the larger bedroom cabins you have a shower located in those bedrooms. As you settle in you will met your attendant. The attendant will ask you to let them know when they can make your beds
If you are a smoker they will let you know what stops you can get off, and stand near the train so you can fill your lungs with all those nasty fumes. Some People give the attendant a tip at the beginning so that he won't forget to let them know when they can smoke. The attendant that we had was very caring and we appreciated all his help. On the train if you have a sleeper car all your meals are included. Shortly after your train leaves a person from the dining car will come and ask you what time you would like to eat. There was also ice located near the shower at the end of the car and bottled water for you to have. We had what we thought was very good food on the trian. If you want a bottle of wine with your meal they charge around twelve dollars . You can also go to the snack car for items to drink or eat when the kitchen is closed
The train was on time until florida and then CSX owns the tracks and sometimes the freight trains get preference. We arrived about twenty minutes late in florida but I was on vacation and what is twenty minutes
We found the train relaxing, as far as the sleeping, well it's not fix star but a couple of glasses of wine and you should sleep like a baby. We woke up the next morning and took a shower had a nice breakfast and lunch . We also recieved the Florida Morning Paper after the stop in Jacksonville FL. I just enjoyed reading and looking out the window on the train.
The train did leave Penn at 4:Pm monday and arrived in West Palm around 4:45 Pm on tuesday around 25 hours. The train does cost more then flying but you don't have to get undressed to get on the train like you do on the plane. IF you are in a hurry the train is not the way to go. IF you go on a train to a cruise I would suggest planning a day ahead incase something should delay the train. We took the train down and flew back to Hartford . It is a different kind of experience. The fastest train to Flordia is the Car Train. You drive to Sanford Va get on the car train with your car that leaves at 4pm and you are in Orlando at 9 am the next morning. NO stops. You can only get on if you have a vehicle. Well I hope this helps you and I must say the Cruise on Liberty was wonderful. Your can book everything on line at www.amtrak.com and for a additional fee they will deliver your tickets to your home. Also on this site it will give you all the stops and any other additional information that you need. If you don't want to book online you can also call Amtrak and a person will help you out with any questions that you may have.
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Thank you! This is terrific information. I upgraded to business class between New York and Boston and it sure was worth it! Leg room, quiet car and comfy seats.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Sounds great ! As one who went cross country (and back) by train as a kid in the mid forties, I always have had a thing for train travel. There are not that many opportunities to that in this country anymore, so this is a wealth of info if one wants to do the alternate yravel. Well done !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Captain

I have taken the train numerous times and always enjoyed the experience. One question do they have quiet cars on the train (no cell phones etc)?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Default Quiet Car

We didnt' hear any noise from the other cabins in the viewliner car and
the viewliner, I am told, was built with a double type of insulation, module design, so that you don't hear the noise you normally hear in coach like the clickity Clack type sounds . The viewliner is quieter

Ed J

Carnival
Legend 2006
Liberty 2007