Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Default self assist on disembarkation

DOES THIS MEAN YOU TAKE "ALL" OF YOUR LUGGAGE YOURSELF OFF THE SHIP? HOW DO PEOPLE MANAGE ALL THEIR LARGE SUITCASES? I HAVEN'T HEARD A LOT OF GOOD REPORTS REGARDING THIS. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME INPUT? THANKS. C
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to jendh Send a message via Yahoo to jendh

self assist means YOU carry ALL of YOUR LUGGAGE off. Period. I do not think it would be an enjoyable experience. If you need an earlier tag number you can go to the Purser's desk and ask for one.

Jen
November 10, 2009 Carnival Triumph (Balcony)
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

One of the couples that was ont he plane trip from Toronto to Miami and back did the self debark. They said they were off fast and the line was quick. The one drawback they said was it was akward and cumbersome because one of their suitcases was the old syile rolling suitcase that had a small strap and it kept on toppling over!!! They wanted to try it just to see if it would be easier. Me, I wanted to see how the new carousel system worked and dragging around two heavy suitcases plus two carryons, uhm, no...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Default DEBARKATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendh
self assist means YOU carry ALL of YOUR LUGGAGE off. Period. I do not think it would be an enjoyable experience. If you need an earlier tag number you can go to the Purser's desk and ask for one.

Jen
WELL....I THINK I'LL TAKE YOUR ADVISE AND GET AN EARLIER TAG NUMBER. WE WILL BE DRIVING BACK TO CANADA ..LEAVING AS SOON AS WE GET OFF THE SHIP. LUGGING ALL THOSE SUITCASES DOESN'T SOUND FUN TO ME EITHER. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE! C
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

A lot of people that cruise pack only one suitcase and it is easy for them to do self-debarkation. I've seen people check-in with one duffel bag, that's it.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to jendh Send a message via Yahoo to jendh

I don't know how to pack that lightly! *grin* So I guess I will stick with not doing the self debarking.

Jen
November 10, 2009 Carnival Triumph (Balcony)
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've done self assist both times we've cruised with Carnival. The first time was fantastic. We had an early flight, and we managed to get off the ship in record time. However, now that more people have found out about it, they tend to NOT LISTEN to the announcements and get off whenever they please.

The staff EMPHASIZES only to self assist if you can HANDLE YOUR OWN LUGGAGE. I saw little old ladies with no less than 4 bags trying to get off the ship. It created huge traffic jams. They also try to disembark the ship from the bottom up.. Well as soon as the first announcement is made that you can leave, everyone from all decks try to get off at the same time.. So there are no elevators available, the stairs get jammed and its just complete chaos.

If you have the time, I HIGHLY recommend getting off the old fashion way, let them take care of your bags, go have breakfast and avoid the stress!!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Passenger

My family of 5 just did this Dec. 23 getting off the Conquest in Galveston. We each had 2 bags and all but one was on wheels. My youngest is 12 so we had no problem getting off. Be aware the line to go through customs was VERY long. We learned quickly that if you get a porter you got to a shorter line. Very well worth the $20 tip. We were in our vehicle in less than 30 minutes once we got the porter to assist us.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Similar experience here. We used it getting off Celebration when we had an earlier flight and it does make for a speedy debarkation. Just make sure you can handle all your bags and please be courteous of others lol. Newer, rolling luggage is easier and of course the less the better. A note about the numbers. From what I understand you are not able to choose your number. Carnival assigns them unless you have an early flight and specify you would like a lower number. Other than that we were under the impression that the numbers started from the bottom of the ship and worked their way up. Ex: Riviera first, Spa and Panorama deck last. I understand the number system is a newer one and it seems to be getting mixed reviews.

Hope I could help out a fellow Canuck!
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Passenger

Three examples of self assist debarkation.
1. We first used it while debarking the Miracle in Tampa in 2006, we were told to have all of our luggage in the theatre by 7:30 am or 8:00 am. We had to show that we had early flights to qualify for the self-assist check out. The process worked great and we were off the ship by 9:00 a.m. and in the airport by 10:00a.m. for a 12:45 flight

2. In Aug 2007 we had 1:00 pm flights out of Miami after sailing on the Imagination. When the announcements were given about self-assist debarkation we thought, hey let's try it, "WRONG". Again, we were told the day before debakation to show that we had early flights, we did and the following morning there was another general announcement that the self assist passengers could now start the self assist debarkation process. Well it seems that everyone on the IMAGINATION was using the self-assist process, we were in line and within the passage way and lobby area for at least 1 1/2 hours trying to leave the ship. Lots and lots of upset and angry folks standing there

3. Dec 2, 2007, the DESTINY offered two types of early debarkation, both had qualifiers of showing your early flight info. There was a strickly self-assist w/baggage who had to be ready to be called for the debarkation at 7:30 am, they were also warned that if they failed to show up during that debarkation period that they would have to debark at the latest time. Our self-assist/early debark occured at approximately 8:30 am ........... our luggage was left outside of our cabins the night before with special numbers attached, it would be staged by that number in the baggage handling area of the terminal. Our group number was called at approximately 8:35 a.m. and we cleared customs without a problem, our baggage was easily identified and loaded into a cab min-van and we (6 of us with at least 12 bags) were in the San Juan airport by 9:45 a.m. ..............simply put the Destiny has a super self-assist/early flight debarkation process. The Miracle's process was really good but the IMAGINATION was a straight out disaster. We'll probably try the early assist if we can't get return flights at a decent time after our next cruise in Aug 2008 on the VAlOR

Bottom line answer is ............... I guess that it depends on the ship and their debarkation processes.
Sensation 10/2002
Majesty of the Seas 4/2003
Glory 8/2005
Miracle 8/2006
Imagination 8/2007
Destiny 11/2007
Valor 7/2008
Victory .
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Shahk

We sailed the Fascination on 12/24 and did the self assist and the process was smooth as silk.

The only problem was that the CD said they would be announcing the floors to leave at 6:45 am. We waited until 7:30 am and no announcement came. When we arrived at Deck 7, everyone was already leaving the ship.

We walked right through to customs and were ready to head off. Easy peasy.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
First Mate

I am to lazy after cruising for 8 days to carry my stuff off the ship.
I like being one of the last ones off the ship. Always make my flight in
the afternoon or evening so I dont have to hurry at all.
The very first cruise I went on I had a noon flight had to be ready to
get off the ship by 6:30 then stand in line for over 2 hours thats when
the use to send customs on the ship to check you out before you could
even get off the ship. No need to rush is my thoughts.
Now you are off the ship and then do the customs thing. Much better I
think.

Just hate to come home and no one to take care of me. lol
Takes me a week to get back in to doing my own cleaning and cooking.
So dont want to rush in to it the day I get off the ship..

Sammy 1954
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Admiral

They have to drag me off the ship. I wait until last call then leave.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since we had an early flight, we had no choice but to do this...I will say, we will never do it again.

If you have just a couple of pieces of luggage, it would be fine. For us with 4 pieces it was difficult to manage.

If you have no reason to get off so early, stay there, and enjoy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
A lot of people that cruise pack only one suitcase and it is easy for them to do self-debarkation. I've seen people check-in with one duffel bag, that's it.
MAN! I WOULD LOVE TO BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!!!! I BRING 8 PRS. OF SHOES...THAT TAKES ONE SUITCASE ALONE . MY FEET HURT SO I CAN'T WEAR THE SAME SHOES THROUGHOUT THE CRUISE! C
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan
Similar experience here. We used it getting off Celebration when we had an earlier flight and it does make for a speedy debarkation. Just make sure you can handle all your bags and please be courteous of others lol. Newer, rolling luggage is easier and of course the less the better. A note about the numbers. From what I understand you are not able to choose your number. Carnival assigns them unless you have an early flight and specify you would like a lower number. Other than that we were under the impression that the numbers started from the bottom of the ship and worked their way up. Ex: Riviera first, Spa and Panorama deck last. I understand the number system is a newer one and it seems to be getting mixed reviews.

Hope I could help out a fellow Canuck!
YOU CERTAINLY DID!WE'RE ON RIVIERA SO THAT'S A BONUS RIGHT THERE! C
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Captain

I have seen people with one small rolling bag. I carry one larger than that just for shoes! We just check our bags and leave when we are called to leave. With Platinum Status, we get an early debarkation and get to check our bags as well, which I love. I don't understand how the ships in Carnival's fleet can be so different in debarkation process though. The smallest ship in the Fleet (Holiday) takes forever to clear all the passengers and one of the largest (Freedom) had us off the ship by 8:00 am and the last call at 9:30 am.

One thing that I always do when we travel (ship or plane) is to tie a distinctive ribbon to each of our bags. I carry additional ribbons for any carry-on's that we decided to check after the cruise. I always pack a couple of fold up duffle bags to use for souvenirs, dirty clothes etc. When we get to the sea of bags (the terminal) it is very easy to pick out our bags. I always enlist a porter as well. He helps us find and load the bags and bypasses the line to customs and even puts the bags in our car. A tip of $1 per bag is well worth this service.

Another tip: Put a sheet inside every piece of luggage and camera bag, etc. which shows your name, address, cell phone number, travel insurance info, and itinerary. If the luggage tags are lost, our luggage can be sent to you. I print these out on brightly colored paper and put right on top of my packed clothes so it is easily found in the suitcase.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default self assist VS "get a room"

my first Carnival we carried all our bags, rushed to the airport, made our connection in Denver, got to Des Moines at 5pm. Luggage and to pickup at 6, two hours later home, TIRED, COLD, and DARK. Since then for "any" traveling, I get at "least" one night's room in the port city. And don't "rush" off the ship. One also gets to see a bit more of the town, San Diego, San Juan, Miami, Galveston.
I for one despise getting home from a vacation 'tired"
And yes, get a porter, it's worth it

Still have an opening for a cabin mate Feb 3 Conquest, read post under seeking cruisemates
21 Princess

"You may have less scars, but I'll have better stories"

facebook.com/buggystuff

Friend me if you like!
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:24 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

unless you have one piece of luggage and are driving or have an early flight - don't do it!! It's not worth the hassle when you can have a leisurely breakfast. The only thing I will say is that if you're cruising with friends and they are on a different deck, put your luggage with theirs so that all of you can debark when their deck is called. We wish we had done this is October.

Old January 6th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default what deck ?

what deck gets to disembark first ? I would rather do self disembark because I am driving home, I am on the veranda deck so would it be better to do self or have them do it for me ? I will be on the Conquest ?
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On there Conquest, we all went to the theater, and waited ,waited some more...Deck meant nothing, we left in a pack.

Because we had an early flight,we had no choice but to do this, Since so many, on this ship drive to the port, I would urge you all to stay and relax, and enjoy those last ship board minutes. Handling lots of luggage, on the ramps, etc, should be an Olympic sport!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator