Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Default Virgin Gordon Baths or Cane Garden Bay

If you have been to either Virgin Gordon Baths or Cane Garden Bay, which would you prefer to see/visit? If you are crusing, do you have enough time to see them both?

We just want to see/visit, no snorkling, etc. Just take it easy.

brneyes
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Admiral

You wont have time to do both on the same day b/c you have to take a ferry to the Baths. When I visited Tortola, I did not do the Baths. I spent my time at Cane Garden Bay which was one of the prettiest beach coves I have ever visited (better than Maegan's Bay in St. Thomas).

I did not go to the Baths b/c of all the warning about having to walk on slippery rocks to get to the baths. In fact, one woman on my ship did slip and fall and ended up breaking her leg while visiting the baths.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I have been to Maegan's Bay at St. Thomas, and it is nice. I think in the long run, we may be better off doing Cane Garen Bay, especially if the Baths are slippery, as you say. I remember a couple people who sat at our dinner table did the Dunns River Falls, and I KNOW those rocks are slippery, and they both wound up with problems.

brneyes
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Admiral

One thing to throw into the equation - The Baths are unique, a one of a kind rock formation that is not seen anywhere else in the Caribbean. And yes you do have to watch your step !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
First Mate

"IF" I ever make it back this way again, perhaps I can see the Baths, but whether I will walk them (perhaps you don't have to, but just see them like Dunns River Falls?), remains to be seen. After a couple ladies from our table walked the Dunn River Falls and wound up getting hurt, I said that was NOT for me.

brneyes
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
"IF" I ever make it back this way again, perhaps I can see the Baths, but whether I will walk them (perhaps you don't have to, but just see them like Dunns River Falls?), remains to be seen. After a couple ladies from our table walked the Dunn River Falls and wound up getting hurt, I said that was NOT for me.

brneyes
I have done Dunns River Falls and I am not the most atlethic person in the world. It is doable. The rocks are slippery but the thing about Dunns River is that you have a guide leading you every step of the way, there are employees to assist you in the more difficults parts and everyone climbs Dunns River as a team in a single line. Therefore, everyone around you is helping each other. At the difficult points, the guide has everyone hold hands to help the next person up. And, unless you completely fell off one of the cliffs (not that easy to do), I don't remember anywhere on the Dunns River Falls that had a drop high enough for you to break any part of your body. Bruised and scrapped up, maybe but broken. I don't recall anyplace on the falls that was that high from the next lower point. It is pretty much a wet natural staircase you are walking up.

I don't know what the Baths are like and whether there are employees there to help you get over the slippery rocks. You are required (or very strongly suggested) to wear swimshoes while climbing Dunns River. I don't know if there have that requirement at the Baths. I didn't read or see anything that stated that you should have swim shoes to visit the baths.

All the same, I have climbed Dunns River but I am not sure I will do it again. It is a little much for my taste at this point in my vacation life.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Yes, now that I am thinking abut it, I did see guides and they did "try" to have everyone hold hands, but at times that was "impossible." I did forget that they had you wear special shoes for the Dunns River climbing.

Yes, scrapes and bruises I believe some people came back with. As I said, one of the girls broke a finger, another subbed her big toe, and it was so bad that it took about (I kept in touch with her after we were on our cruise) 6 months before it healed up right.

Dunns River is beautiful whether (I would prefer) you watch everyone or climb.

brneyes
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Default wouldn't miss

We have been to all three . Most memorable in my opinion were the Baths. The are a little strenous but well worth the trip. They are amongst the most unique attractions in the Caribeans. 8)