Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Asking for liquor in the Foo Foo Drinks

We had a large family group that came over to visit. They go on cruises alot and have alot of knowledge on the matter. I told them that we had purchased alot of different types of Foo Foo drinks that they had told us to try. My sister and I both stated we never got a "buss" at all from all the drinks we drank. We drank quite a bit by the pool bars. They looked at us and said did you tell your waiter no matter where you purchase the drink to put liquor in it? I said NO I thought if you asked for the drink it automatically came with liquor. They ALL said No that they actually give you virgin FOO FOO drinks without any liquor in it unless you ASK for liquor. When we thought about this for a moment we said you know something when we sat at a bar and people who sat next to us asked for the same drinks but without liquor we noticed the bar tender poured the drink from the exact pitcher of what we just ordered and never mixed a new batch. This family works for the airlines and travels quite a bit and really parties on the cruise ships that they go on so I believe what they say because when I brought it up in the hospital I work at alot of people said actually the same thing. Any of you know about this having to ask for liquor to be put in the drinks you order or you get virgin drinks? I was thinking boy would that save the cruise ship alot of money not putting liquor in the foo foo drinks unless asked to.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Admiral

I just thought they were just very watered down drinks. When I mentioned it to the server, my next one was very strong. I will research this next month and report back.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Beginner

CA thanks looking forward to your update on this. Makes you wonder now right? I thought the same thing you did & Ro that the drinks were very watered down and had very little or no liquor in them but when I asked about it to the waiter the next drink ordered tasted like it had liquor in it unlike the one before it. I have also heard you had to ask for liquor to be put in in the drinks or you got either a watered down tasting one or one without any liquor at all in it. You'll be the next taste taster for us all. Please keep us posted.
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Yeoman

All I know is that the bartender in the Sunbird (or was it called the Phoenix?) Lounge on the Legend sure knew how to make Yellowbirds!
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Wow! I'm sure glad I read this thread. I leave in 8 days on the Inspiration. I now remember on my last cruise being asked if I wanted alcohol in my drinks sometime. I just assumed they all had it. Thanks for sharing!

Big Red Boat 1996
Carnival Sensation 2006
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I thought I better pass it on as some co workers who cruise alot also told me the same thing that our friends did. I had to post it above so everyone knew.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Yeoman

Ro, glad you posted and thanks! $4.95 and up per glass is a lot of money for just koolaid.......
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Admiral

My drinks on Carnival ALWAYS have liquor in them. Sometimes when I feel like being a real lush, I ask them to top the drink off with more liquor but I have never been given a virgin foo-foo.

I tend to drink the specials of the day, bbc's or sex on the beach. All of which have plenty of alcohol.

Also, I don't find the liquor on Carnival ships to be watered down. And I know watered down liquor. I live in the NYC which is the Watered Down Liquor Capital of the World.!!! :evil:

Or,

Maybe I am not the closet alcoholic that I think I am. Perhaps I have been getting high all this time off of red food dye!!!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Captain

I've had just the opposite problem. I have to order virgin drinks because of the medications I take and they tell me that alot of the drinks of the day are alcoholic only as they are premixed. I can usually order virgin margarittas and daquiri's, virgin mary etc but not the foo foo ones.

AKcruiser
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

No the fruity coladas NEVER have alcohol in them!! If you sit at the pool and get one from a waiter/bartender walking by, notice the ten or so coladas on his tray, and also notice the bottle of rum on the tray as well. Normally they ask you "do you want rum in it?" ... but i guess if they gave you one without the first time and you continues to have the same waiter, than he must have thought you aways wanted virgins. that is really funny that you were waiting to get buzzed and nothing happened!

Good advice: We always be-friended the waiters/bartenders- When you order a Colada- ask for rum, then quickly drink through the straw- SUCK IT DOWN!!! Then ask for more rum! It ALWAYS worked!!! They would always pour an extra 3 or 4 seconds worth of rum in our drinks!!!

I was tipsy atleast 80 percent of our last cruise! lol
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Admiral

I am now satisfied that you do have to at least ask for liquor in your Foo Foo Drinks or you just might be given one without. I don't drink much so when I can drink five Bahama Mammas and feel nothing but totally full I have to tell you my friends were correct telling us about this in my orginal post. You have to ask for the liquor to be put in it or all you get is the fruity mix without for the same price. Bet Carnival saves a ton on liquor this way.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Passenger

O.K. Haven't had a mixed drink in a loooong time..what exactly contsitutes "foo foo drinks" ??
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Foo Foo Drinks are those frozen or thick cold drinks such as Miami Vice, Bahama Mama, Pina, Banana, Strawberry etc Colada's etc, Yellow Bird and the list goes on and on. They have been spoken about and listed on this site. They are sold on Carnival as the "drink of the day". They are usually served in those tall plastic Carnival glasses.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rights
No the fruity coladas NEVER have alcohol in them!! If you sit at the pool and get one from a waiter/bartender walking by, notice the ten or so coladas on his tray, and also notice the bottle of rum on the tray as well. Normally they ask you "do you want rum in it?" ... but i guess if they gave you one without the first time and you continues to have the same waiter, than he must have thought you aways wanted virgins. that is really funny that you were waiting to get buzzed and nothing happened!

Good advice: We always be-friended the waiters/bartenders- When you order a Colada- ask for rum, then quickly drink through the straw- SUCK IT DOWN!!! Then ask for more rum! It ALWAYS worked!!! They would always pour an extra 3 or 4 seconds worth of rum in our drinks!!!

I was tipsy atleast 80 percent of our last cruise! lol
I am not doubting you but I have never ever seen a bottle of rum on the trays of foo-foos on the Lido deck. I have seen the large gallon containers they are mixed up in (and have seen them mix them) and they always have had liquor in them. Is this something new since my last cruise in October 07?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Admiral

I didn't even know about this until some friends like I said came over to our home. They cruise alot and in conversation it all came up. Since then alot of co workers have said the very same thing to me. All of them cruise more than 4 times a year since we live in Florida where ports are close to where we live. Most of them have taken different ships in different ports from the East Coast to the West Coast of Florida so there must be some truth in the matter that in certain places on the ships especially by the pool areas you have to ask for liquor to be put in your drinks or you just might get them without and pay the same amount. All I know is when I am sitting by the pool on the Glory in April I will ask. I'll keep you posted when I come back. Hopefully others will check it to see if its the fact sooner and let us know.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
I didn't even know about this until some friends like I said came over to our home. They cruise alot and in conversation it all came up. Since then alot of co workers have said the very same thing to me. All of them cruise more than 4 times a year since we live in Florida where ports are close to where we live. Most of them have taken different ships in different ports from the East Coast to the West Coast of Florida so there must be some truth in the matter that in certain places on the ships especially by the pool areas you have to ask for liquor to be put in your drinks or you just might get them without and pay the same amount. All I know is when I am sitting by the pool on the Glory in April I will ask. I'll keep you posted when I come back. Hopefully others will check it to see if its the fact sooner and let us know.
I am going on two RCCL cruises b2b next month. I will report back when I return.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Thanks IB. I didn't hear it being done on any other line like Princess or Royal only Carnival. Some of the people at work have sailed other lines recently but only said it happens this way on Carnival when they sail. Keep us posted about the upcoming cruise and let us know how you liked it.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011