Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Passenger

Default Single Occupancy Rooms on Carnival

hello everyone,

My father will be joining us on our Carnival cruise and I have a single occupancy room on hold for him since its a bit cheaper than an inside cabin.

Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? On the Victory, the rooms are located at the back of the ship and next to the rear elevators.

I'm a bit concerned about engine vibration/noise (it's on floor 1)and the elevator noise.

I have never stayed on any of the lower levels so I don't know what I should do for him.

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
First Mate

I sailed on the Victory in November as a single passenger. My family's cabins were aft, however, mine was very forward (the very first cabin on the ship). The cabin was 2201 on the Main deck. I loved it. It was exceptionally clean and had a lot of room. I have also sailed solo and have had cabins in the back of the ship with no problems. The elevators have never been an issue whatsoever. I have felt some vibration from the engines, however, nothing substantial. When pulling into a port you do feel some increase vibration, but again to me nothing I couldn't handle. I'm not sure if you need him to stay close to you, but if 2201 is available, I'd grab it. It's a great cabin, very clean and lots of room, including storage and closet space. Let me know if you need any additional information. I've been on 21 cruises with Carnival and have sailed solo 3 or 4 times. I have heard, and they tried with me once, that they often assign modified cabins (for the disabled) to single passengers. In fact, for the particular cruise in November they assigned me to a modified cabin and I asked to be moved. Why? A couple of friends I have traveled with in the past have been assigned these cabins and the cabins seemed not be kept up to the same standards as other cabins.
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Passenger

i know carnival will charge extra for a single, but for these single rooms, are they also more expensive since they would only hold 1 also? Or am I not understanding correctly on the single occupancy rooms.
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

I would like to know about those rooms and are their any on the conquest I have someone who wants to go but we have rooms for 2 people only and a regular room is so expensive ?
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Admiral

There are NO single occupancy cabins on any Carnival ship.

What Carnival offers is their Cat. 1A cabins. These are the lowest priced inside cabins on their ships. There are less than 10 of these per ship. They actually hold at least two people. Some of them hold 3 or 4, depending on whether there is a pull out sofa in the cabin. They are sold at 150% the double occupancy rate for the lowest price Cat. 4 (inside) cabin for one person in the cabin while every other category from Cat. 4 on up will charge a solo person in each cabin at least 200% of the double occupancy rate.

Most of these cabins are at odd places on the deckplan and may be significantly larger than other inside cabins. They can be to the very front of the bottom couple of decks or at the very back. There is usually one or two on Verandah Deck also. The Cat 1A cabin at the back of the ship right around from the Aft elevator is to die for. It is actually a lot like a little studio apartment with only one twin bed on the floor, a hideabed in teh ceiling and just an armchair and table. There is plenty of floor space and is quiet comfy and roomy.

As I said, Cat 1A cabins tend to be larger than a Cat 4 inside cabin. This is made possible because their location does not allow for the standard inside cabin configuration.

Some have two beds on the floor. However most have one twin on the floor and perhaps a bed tucked in the ceiling or against the wall. Some have just the one bed and a pull out sofabed.

On most Carnival ships, there are 4 Cat 1A's with porthole windows and 2 Cat 1A's with big picture windows. The others are inside cabins. Needless to say, these 6 cabins usually book up quick.

They are great for solo cruisers, children or teens and platonic friends. They are not for intimate couples because, unless you are sure of the configuration of the cabin you select, you may very well be sleeping bunk bed style which is not very romantic.

It is a great choice for anyone traveling alone because either you won't be in your cabin very much to miss the oceanview or, you will enjoy great sleeping b/c these cabins with no windows are DARK!!! Very nice for taking a mid-day nap.

As for noise, since they are at the very front and back of the ship, any noise from the anchor, engine is offset by the quiet hall, less foot traffic at the very back or front of the cabin decks.

I have been in several of the Cat 1A and now no longer select Cat 1A guarantee. I know what most (not all) of the Cat 1A cabins look like and I know the ones I like and don't care for.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the responses.

By the sounds of it, my Dad will enjoy those lower rooms just fine. I just have to find out if he prefers to have a small porthole to look out or a larger room at the back of the boat.

My biggest concern had been the noise down there, but it sounds like the 1st floor rooms aren't as bad as you think they'd be....and my Dad is a heavy sleeper anyways.

If anyone has been on the Victory, I'd love to hear about 1A rooms that you've stayed in.

Thanks.
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandutch
Thanks for the responses.

By the sounds of it, my Dad will enjoy those lower rooms just fine. I just have to find out if he prefers to have a small porthole to look out or a larger room at the back of the boat.

My biggest concern had been the noise down there, but it sounds like the 1st floor rooms aren't as bad as you think they'd be....and my Dad is a heavy sleeper anyways.

If anyone has been on the Victory, I'd love to hear about 1A rooms that you've stayed in.

Thanks.
I have been on the Victory but do not remember if it was a Cat 1A or a Cat 4-something. I just checked. The Victory has more Cat 1A's than I thought. There are at least 14 of them.

Main Deck has two cabins in the back of the Main deck with the big picture windows -- one on each side of the ship (2444, 2445). There are four 1A's on each side of the front of the ship with portholes on Main Deck (2211, 12, 16, 17) and four more on the Riveria Deck (1201, 02, 05, 06)-- two on each side of the ship. There are two Cat 1A on the Main Deck (1402, 1405), one on each side of the ship near Aft elevators. Those have no windows but are the little studio apartments. They are my favorite cabins thus far. They are big and square and wonderful. Finally, there are also two Cat 1A on the Upper Deck (6226, 6227). I don't know what those look like but I do know they have no windows. They may be idential to the little studios on Main Deck (1402).

Good luck and happy cruzin'

Get that one for your pops. There is no anchor noise under that cabin. There is a good amount of anchor noise under the porthole window cabins. However, if he is a heavy sleeper or early riser, the noise won't bother him a bit. Both ends of the hall are saved from the sound of people talking, running, shouting, knocking on the wrong doors, etc. that is so prevalent with the cabins that are more midship.

I can sleep through the souond of an anchor or engine. The sound of someone knock on or against my door in the middle of the night will not only wake me full awake but will probably scare me half to death. I think the very front and very back is worth not having to deal with that.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Captain

I have had a family members stay in room 2445 on the Victory it is a great room. It is larger than most cabins and has 2 picture windows. It has a lower bed, and upper bed that stores in the ceiling and a sofa, chair and small table. The bathroom is also in the rear of the room and not in the narrow hallway like most cabins. We like to stay in these "L" shaped rooms with balconies forthe same reason.

AKcruiser
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Passenger

Thank you for all your help AKcruiser and ibcruzin. I've left a message with my agent and hopefully get one of those rooms you've recommended. I narrowed it down to 3 so hopefully I'll get lucky for him since its almost a year away.