Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do you plan other activities around your cruise vacation?

Since my wife and I live up in Alaska, we make sure when we go on vacation we make it the best we can. Since we are huge hockey fans we plan a trip to go see an NHL hockey game in a different city each year. I am trying to plan a cruise with a NHL hockey game right now. Unfortunately for me I can only book the crusie at this time because the schedule for next season has not been released, I just hope it will work out with the cruise I pick, or else I will just have to reschedule.

Does anyone else try and plan other special activites around their cruises or are we just crazy?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't plan on doing anything special around my cruises, but I do plan the projects at work so thet my presence will not be needed during weeks when I have scheduled a cruise. That way, I can have a pretty stress-free vacation.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

We plan something after we return, usually in the port city. We have done Kennedy Space Center and Sea World. I'm in no hurry to get home!!

Need some cruise help?
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Captain

We always plan as much pre cruise activities as we can handle. If we are going to go far enough to find water then we are going to take advantage of our travel time, and expense. It is very difficult for me to get away from work for any length of time, so I try to make the most of it. Also we try to not do so much that we are exhausted at the end of our vacation. It is trying to get the maximum amount of entertainment for the money. Also take advantage of the time spent traveling.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old February 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Admiral

When going to a new city, yes, I plan something else to do there.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Not so much in the past, but since DH will be retiring in a couple of months, we will be able to take more time with our cruising plans!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We are planning for the two days in Miami before our cruise. I have always wanted to take an air boat ride. We have that planned, plus a full day of other stuff.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

For my Glacier Bay trip we're planning an interesting way to get there. We're flying to New York JFK and spending one night in NYC, then flying out first thing the next morning to SEA on a new airline (Virgin America) and spending that night in Seattle. Then the morning of our cruise we catch the first Amtrak train to Vancouver before embarking on the Carnival Spirit.

So I get a quick taste of NYC (my 5th time), I have an afternoon to explore Seattle and find the world's first Starbucks, we're flying a new airline and since I plan to study Airline Management that interests me, and the train should be a beautiful trip.

Would have liked to plan more time in Vancouver but maybe next time.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan
For my Glacier Bay trip we're planning an interesting way to get there. We're flying to New York JFK and spending one night in NYC, then flying out first thing the next morning to SEA on a new airline (Virgin America) and spending that night in Seattle. Then the morning of our cruise we catch the first Amtrak train to Vancouver before embarking on the Carnival Spirit.

So I get a quick taste of NYC (my 5th time), I have an afternoon to explore Seattle and find the world's first Starbucks, we're flying a new airline and since I plan to study Airline Management that interests me, and the train should be a beautiful trip.

Would have liked to plan more time in Vancouver but maybe next time.

That sounds like good planning. I have heard that the trains are expensive. Did you find that to be true?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

We live in Missouri and we drove to New Orleans for our first cruise. It is only about 12 hours but we decided to break up the drive. We stopped in Tunica MS for 1 night did a little gambling and drove into NOLA for a few days before, so we could enjoy some sights. It was like 3 vacations in 1. We really did enjoy it.

Old February 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
That sounds like good planning. I have heard that the trains are expensive. Did you find that to be true?
As a matter of fact the Amtrak trip from Seattle to Vancouver was the most affordable part of our trip! It was less than $50 for two one-way tickets. Amtrak offers a discount to Carnival guests of about 10% if I remember correctly. Even without the discount thats not a bad deal at all! Looking forward to the scenery and relaxing ride up to Vancouver.

Funny thing is that we're Canadian and are flying BUF-JFK, then JFK-SEA (via LAX) then train back into Canada in Vancouver! All to take advantage of some jetBlue flight credits we're using on the BUF-JFK leg.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)