Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Passenger

Default Non swimmers

Does anyone have any ideas on what non swimmers can do in Cozumel and Grand Caymans. Heading off on 1st cruise April 09
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You don't have to be much of a swimmer to snorkel with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. They take you to a sand bar, something not to miss there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default Re: Non swimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass
Does anyone have any ideas on what non swimmers can do in Cozumel and Grand Caymans. Heading off on 1st cruise April 09
I just came back from those places and I to am not a swimmer I went to the atlantis submarine in grand cayman and it was great we went down 107 ft and saw the sights and in cozumel went to town and shopped and site seeing had a good time
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Stingray city is great. Something not to miss.

You stand in waist high water on a sand bar. The water is so beautiful and the sand is white. It looks like a swimming pool.

....very easy for non swimmers.

You could just find a beach and wade in the surf. This is something we do all the time...

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Captain

IrishLass;

DW and I are are not water people. In Feb. at Cozumel we rented a Jeep, and went to the other side of the island. It is not so crowded, and not as developed. Went to the lighthouse, and just drove around on the other side. Stopped at a little bar, and shop. My DW had a monster Margarita, and I had two beers with some chips and salsa. Our bill was $6. The picture in my signature is at this place. It is beautiful, without all of the crowds. There is really only one road around the island, so it easy to get around. You can find plenty of empty beaches to just relax, and enjoy the water.
Just another option.
Have fun in whatever you decide.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Passenger

I second renting a jeep in Cozumel. It is our favorite thing to do since we don’t care for the westernized bars and touristy stuff along the waterfront. It gets you away from the crowds of people and the island is actually quite deserted and beautiful on the far side. There are some amazing beaches with calm and beautiful water if you like to swim or just to admire. It’s amazing, but nice, that you see miles of beautiful beaches with no people on them.

A jeep can be had from $40-50. My last jeep booked through Avis was $48 out the door but they are all about the same price. I like to book ahead because the haggling process for a car can be a pain in the rear and involve a lot of “walk over here, no walk over here” and “wait”. I enjoy haggling for gifts and the like but the car seems to take too much time all to save $5. Try and rent a jeep because the convertible option is great but bring sunscreen even if you don’t plan to go to the beach. You will get burned driving a convertible here.

As far as driving goes it is very easy. There is only one road that circles the island, and a good one that goes down the middle, so it is impossible for even the worst navigator to get lost. Traffic is generally very light away from town. The road itself is also in pretty decent shape these days (people that have been to Cozumel 10 years ago know how much better it is now). There are small little shops and neat restaurants along the road and prices are generally good. Many of them have places to eat right on the beach. You can also visit a couple small Mayan sites.

There are also craft stores further out and you can often meet the artist and watch him/her work. We met a local potter on the road that goes down the middle. We wound up talking to him and his dad for 2 hours in a very relaxed no pressure atmosphere. He gave us a tour of his orchard, free bananas and oranges and a history lesson all in pretty decent English. You really got the feeling he was more interested in talking to people than selling his wares. As a bonus his prices were about half of what they were in town. It was the highlight of our last trip.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.