Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Familiar Face

Default Chances of making a 10:55AM flight out of Miami?

I am booked for Triumph on June 1st, returning on June 8th, scheduled for 8:00AM.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a flight without having to mortgage the house - and anything I am finding flying out of Miami after 10:55AM, is gonna fall in that "it costs an arm and a leg" category. I just want to rent a seat in the plane, not take it home with me!

What are the chances I could really make that flight? Two adults, no kids. We'll only have a rolling bag each and a laptop backpack case, so we can manage getting all of our luggage off with us as we go for self disembarkation.

I know that there are a million variables. I know that disembarkation can be delayed by customs if something isn't right. I know I will be fighting 3900 other people wanting to do the same thing. I just wonder if anyone has been able to pull this off? Or, am I just dreaming? I've never flown to my port before so this is a little new for me!

This is both the first cruise and the first flight for my husband and you just don't know what I went through to get him to agree to it in the first place. I'm just trying to make it as smooth as possible so that maybe it won't be his last cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have a better suggestion, book the flight for the next day and stay in Miami overnight. The chances of you being able to catch a almost 11am flight are slim to none. The cruise lines even say to not book flights before noon. If you were docking in Ft Lauderdale, you could self debark and get there in time, but not Miami, the airport is a good 20 minute drive away. The earliest they call self assit debark (meaning you have to be able to take ALL your luggage off without any help) is 7-730, and it is called by deck, so if your deck is not called until 830 then you sit and wait. I can tell you that taking an elevator at debark time is a LOOOOONG wait. I went on the Conquest in February and the gagnway mafunctioned and everyone got off on Zero deck, so I had to drag my rolling carry on down three flights of stairs, it wasn't fun.....

I was on the Triumph last September and customs didn't clear the ship right away. They called self assist debark at around 8am and the lineup to get off the ship was LONG!!!

Did you see about flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale? It might be cheaper to fly out of there instead of Miami.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the practical advice! I just needed someone to slap me back to reality!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Default flight

Check into flying out from Fort Lauderdale. We cruised on the Triumph, got Carnival transfers to Fort Lauderdale, no problem. Enjoy your cruise!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Captain

Default Re: Chances of making a 10:55AM flight out of Miami?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamartha
I am booked for Triumph on June 1st, returning on June 8th, scheduled for 8:00AM.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a flight without having to mortgage the house - and anything I am finding flying out of Miami after 10:55AM, is gonna fall in that "it costs an arm and a leg" category. I just want to rent a seat in the plane, not take it home with me!

What are the chances I could really make that flight? Two adults, no kids. We'll only have a rolling bag each and a laptop backpack case, so we can manage getting all of our luggage off with us as we go for self disembarkation.

I know that there are a million variables. I know that disembarkation can be delayed by customs if something isn't right. I know I will be fighting 3900 other people wanting to do the same thing. I just wonder if anyone has been able to pull this off? Or, am I just dreaming? I've never flown to my port before so this is a little new for me!

This is both the first cruise and the first flight for my husband and you just don't know what I went through to get him to agree to it in the first place. I'm just trying to make it as smooth as possible so that maybe it won't be his last cruise!
Where are you flying from?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
First Mate

Miami is a very busy airport and that flight is too early. Dont stress yourself out. Book a later one.

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Passenger

We went on the Freedom in February and had a 12:00 flight out of Miami. I had the same concerns as you about making the flight. We made it to the airport by 9 a.m., had lots of time to spare. If you have an early flight, they let you off the ship first. You have to show them your flight schedule. Hope this helps.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

They have to drag me kicking and screaming off of the ship. I always book a day later flight home. Its just relaxing.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Did the Carnival Freedom for Turkeys and had an 11am flight. Made it with time to spare. That is counting on the ship docking on time though.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I think it depends on how many ships are docked back that day. We had a flight out of Miami at noon once and will NEVER do it again. OMG - it was a horror show. We were OFF the ship by 8:30 but by the time we got to the airport, found where we were supposed to be along with the other 4000 people doing the same thing we barely made our flight. I HATE Miami airport!
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Beginner

We are flying out of Charlotte. I played it really, really safe and booked a 4:30 return flight.

Now, if I can just find a hotel! I would love to stay beach front, but once we land I am going to want a convenience store - or even better a grocery store to stock up on a few things and without a car, it looks like that type of shopping is few and far between on the beach.

Am I better off staying nearer the airport?

Any suggestions? Or favorites?

I have a balcony room booked (a first for me and a BIG step up) so if I don't stay oceanfront in Miami, it's not like I won't have plenty of "water watching" time anyway!
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Admiral

rule of thumb...if you book a later flight you will get to the airport and clear security with hours to spare...if you book an earlier flight (before noon) you are guranteed to run into a problem and either miss the flight or be stressed out

book the later flight...every thing will go ok, bring an airport reading book and your IPOD and plan on people watching or catching up on your sleep or the news, but you will be less stressed
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Captain

A 4:30 Flight you could drive back to Charlotte just about Seriously its better then 11:30
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
They have to drag me kicking and screaming off of the ship. I always book a day later flight home. Its just relaxing.
That's whar we did in Oct. We were on the Valor. Our number came....and went. We left with the last group.

We met a really nice couple and they were part of the last group to leave, so we sat with them.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:17 AM
First Mate

I really think you will be pressed to make this flight. Please book a later one!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Hey you should be leaving for Alaska soon, right?