Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default bad reviews of the Splendor

I recently went on another site and the reviews of the new Splendor were awful. I am greatly concerned since I am going with a group of 50 church friends in Jan '09. It wasn't just 1 or 2, it was more like 5 or 6. They listed anything from no shows on the shows to very overpriced excursion.
They mentioned the decor, but that is a personal taste choice. Does anyone have anything good to say?
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Admiral

I have not been on the Splendor, but I have only heard people say good things about it. Talking about the excursions, they are probably very expernisve becuase the ship is in Europe right now. Probably went it gets back to the US to do Caribbean and Mexico, the prices will drop. I have seen pictures and the ship looks very nice and a little more sofisticated then their other ships. I am sure you will have a GREAT time. I always have a great time on cruises. Make sure you write about the experience you had on the ship.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Captain

Im going on the Splendor in april. I'll be on the ship for my birthday. Can't wait. Hard to find info or reviews but what I have heard is good.

Carol:-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Can you please tell me where you found the bad reviews. I would be intereseted to read them and see what they didn't like and what they liked.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Take bad reviews with a grain of salt. I have been on cruises where I've experienced the same circumstances that were later reported in a bad review but thought nothing of it at the time.

Take a look at the reader reviews of the Carnival Freedom on this site. They make the Freedom sound really bad. If you read them close, however, 80% of them all seem to be the same complaints written in very similar styles. I would tend to believe that the same writer wrote multiple reviews of the same cruise as different names to make their complaints carry more weight.

If the ships were really as bad as some of the reviews indicated bookings for that ship would start to drop off and Carnival would have to do something to keep it profitable.

I’ve had cruises and ships that I have liked better than others but the factors tended to be more the ports of call, weather, traveling companions, and the quality of the crew that you happened to directly interact with. I have not seen anything significant that would be considered a ship wide problem.

As to my earlier advice, also take my comments with a grain of salt. I have not been on the Splendor and have not had the exact experiences as those who wrote the reviews.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default thanks

I have alot of church friends going on the Splendor 54 people. They are counting me on selecting a great vacation. I really didn't want to disappoint anyone. But you can't satify everyone. Thanks for the positive outlook.
Booe's mom
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Beginner

Default Splendor reviews

Splendor's decor is a bit over the top but you soon get used to it. We had a fantastic 12 day Baltic cruise in August from Dover and it was the best out of the 12 or so cruises we've done. The cabins were extremely comfortable, food great, good cruise director (John Heald) and generally well above previous Carnival standards we have experienced. Maybe the bad reviews were because people didn't like the north European experience. Even in August the Baltic weather was cool but the itinerary more than makes up for it.
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Default Re: bad reviews of the Splendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by booe's mom
I recently went on another site...
If you will tell us what site this is, we may be able to shed some light on the attitude that you encountered.

Just as an example...it is quite common for a dyed-in-the-wool cruiser who has taken upteen RCL cruises to have less-than-stellar comments about the one Carnival cruise she went on to appease some relative or friend.

The opposite can also be true.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default other site

I'm sorry I didn't think it would be accepted to state another review site.
I highly respect Cruisemates. I have been reading on Cruismates since my first cruise in 2004.
Booe's mom
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: bad reviews of the Splendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by booe's mom
. Does anyone have anything good to say?
Yeah, don't take such negative reviews seriously. While I haven't been on this ship, I have sailed on 8 others and found negative reviews to be largely nonsense. It's the old glass half full-glass half empty cliche`.
Fun loving optimist will have a great time, at least based on my experiences.
The Splendor is Carnival's newest ship with many bells and whistles, so you should have a blast. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The main thing about Splendor is the decor - it is over the top. Some people will let that reflect on everything about the ship, but I guarantee you that the food and entertainment will be excellent. The cabins are spacious and comfortable.

Not everything will be to everyone's taste. Carnival is a "Fun" ship. Try to get people to relax and not stick their noses in the air. Let their hair down and go with the flow.

It actually is a high quality product and most people are surprised at what they get for such a good price. For those who don't like something - don't take it personally!
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Admiral

I don't know if we are talking about the same "other site", but I used to go to a different one before I found CruiseMates. And, I got so frustrated at the "I've got more complaints than you do" competition that seemed to be the primary attitude.
You won't please everyone with a group that size, or a group any size. So, don't even try. Most of you will have a great time and if you focus your attention on those who are upbeat and ready to enjoy themselves, the complainers will soon get tired of talking to the back of your head. I do mean that literally. Complainers often are just looking for attention. Don't give it to them....or give them a cross look, then ignore them. As the group "leader", you need to train your folks to focus on the good.
Good luck and have fun yourself!
Marty
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As a cruise "pro" (we all get that reputation with our family & friends once we have cruise a number of times) I always feel responsible for "pleasing" everyone when I am cruising with family newbies, etc. It is a lot of pressure, because you can't know everything about the ship or make decisions for other people.

They'll ask you questions like, "what time is dinner on Friday?" as if you have it memorized. Its up to you, either you say "ask the front desk" or you do it for them. I have learned the best thing is to try to please - up to a point - but when it starts to ruin your vacation you have to draw the line.

Now, I have had situations where I found out I really was the only person who could resolve a situation, and that is part of what you get when you are the group "leader" - its just part of the deal.

I was traveling with a 90 y.o. couple who were in the "Marriage Game" - they were promised a DVD of the show. When they went to get it they got the run around. 4 people told then there was no such video, one sent them to the photog who said "oh you mean the cruise souvenir video" (no) and tried to sell it to them. They said "it's supposed to be free" and he said "you need a voucher, then." Just a big run around.

Finally, I had to stand at the front desk for an hour on disembarkation day until a purser called the videographer and got a copy. What a hassle.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

8) ,hey bobmiller im going on the freedom,also.The only part that would ever make any cruise potenially bad is the weather......................

'97 NORDIC EMPRESS
'02 GOLDEN PRINCESS
'03 VEENDAM
'03 GRAND PRINCESS
'04 ZAANDAM
'05 JEWEL OF THE SEAS
'06 CARNIVAL LIBERTY
'07 NORWEGIAN PEARL
'07 NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS
'08 NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
First Mate

Well, I for one, plan on having a great time next April.

It's so exciting to have one of the "big" ships coming to the West coast.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x