Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Captain

Default Muster Drill helps for cruisers with Mobility concerns.

Muster Drill
After you board and you go check out your cabin for the first time. Find where the life jackets are. Usually in the closet or under the sofa in a drawer. If you need a longer strap let your steward know he will replace it.

Find out when Muster Drill is. About an hour before the drill go get your life jacket and go to your muster station. Everyone is required to do the drill.

They disable the elevators during the drill. That's why I say go early. So you can use the elevators. Hopefully your Muster Drill Station will be in a lounge. Bring a bottle of water and you can be seated and comfy. If it's on deck wait in a near by seating area.

Don't go to the station untill you have to. Otherwise you will be standing in the back of the crowded deck. Bring a bottle of water with you.

I almost passed out from the heat once during a Muster Drill. It was soooo hot and the life jacket made it hotter... Oh and you don't need to put it on until instructed to. They just need to know you can put it on and buckle it up.

Hope it helps.

Hugs and Happy cruising,
Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Captain

Default Re: Muster Drill helps for cruisers with Mobility concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca
Muster Drill
After you board and you go check out your cabin for the first time. Find where the life jackets are. Usually in the closet or under the sofa in a drawer. If you need a longer strap let your steward know he will replace it.

Find out when Muster Drill is. About an hour before the drill go get your life jacket and go to your muster station. Everyone is required to do the drill.

They disable the elevators during the drill. That's why I say go early. So you can use the elevators. Hopefully your Muster Drill Station will be in a lounge. Bring a bottle of water and you can be seated and comfy. If it's on deck wait in a near by seating area.

Don't go to the station untill you have to. Otherwise you will be standing in the back of the crowded deck. Bring a bottle of water with you.

I almost passed out from the heat once during a Muster Drill. It was soooo hot and the life jacket made it hotter... Oh and you don't need to put it on until instructed to. They just need to know you can put it on and buckle it up.

Hope it helps.

Hugs and Happy cruising,
Carol

For what its worth you contradicted yourself. You said to go to the muster station an hour before it starts which in my opinion is the last thing anybody wants or will do but you then said to not go until you have to so you wont have to stand in the back of the line, something I totally agree with.. go when everybody else is there and you can stand in the front for the shortest amount of time.. Bottom line the whole drill sucks and we all hate it but its required and the last formal thing you need to do before your vacation begins..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Cruise line personnel monitor the stairs, hallways, and elevators during a mustard (my grandson's name for it) drill, however, if you need special assistance or are unable to climb up and down the stairs, just tell them it is mandatory that you use the elevators...no problem, they will be happy to accommodate you. I traveled with my 88 year old mother-in-law last year and there was no way she could do those stairs so they allowed us to use the elevators.

We try to position ourselves close to our mustard station with our life vests a few minutes before they call everyone to proceed to their station and wait until the last minute to walk out on deck.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Admiral

They do not disable the elevators. I have a cane with a fold down seat, since I can't stand for any length of time without passing out. I merely show the crew my cane and say I can't do the stairs and they let me use the elevators. During the muster, I fold down the seat and sit. And, I go LATE so that I can position myself at the edge of the mob. Works most of the time.
Marty
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks all for the great advice...this will help be ready for "Mustard Drill"

My mom will appreciate this on our cruise Dec 14 on Conquest

take care all
debbyedoops
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Captain

dont show up too late for the mustard drill or you will have to ketch-up!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Captain

Default Re: Muster Drill helps for cruisers with Mobility concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca
Muster Drill

Hope it helps.

Hugs and Happy cruising,
Carol

For what its worth you contradicted yourself. You said to go to the muster station an hour before it starts which in my opinion is the last thing anybody wants or will do but you then said to not go until you have to so you wont have to stand in the back of the line, something I totally agree with.. go when everybody else is there and you can stand in the front for the shortest amount of time.. Bottom line the whole drill sucks and we all hate it but its required and the last formal thing you need to do before your vacation begins..

Well not really. What I was trying to express but maybe didn't do it very well was......
I have found that if my muster station is in a lounge we go about an hour before the drill get our jackets and go to the lounge get a good seat and relax and people watch.
When our Muster Station is outside on a deck, and we will just be standing outside with nowhere to sit. I go to the deck before the drill starts because they disable the elevators. I have a knee problem and can't do stairs. I try to find the closest place I can sit down at and then wait until I have to go out to the station. Otherwise I find you are standing for a long time and I get pushed to the back. I am only about 5' and I tend to get smothered in the crowd.
So you see I wasn't contradicting myself. I was giving advice for 2 different scenarios
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Good one, briguy, ha! ha!
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Cruise line personnel monitor the stairs, hallways, and elevators during a mustard (my grandson's name for it) drill, however, if you need special assistance or are unable to climb up and down the stairs, just tell them it is mandatory that you use the elevators...no problem, they will be happy to accommodate you. I traveled with my 88 year old mother-in-law last year and there was no way she could do those stairs so they allowed us to use the elevators.

We try to position ourselves close to our mustard station with our life vests a few minutes before they call everyone to proceed to their station and wait until the last minute to walk out on deck.

Someone gave me the tip before my first cruise and I was so glad I took their advise. It gets so crowded.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
They do not disable the elevators. I have a cane with a fold down seat, since I can't stand for any length of time without passing out. I merely show the crew my cane and say I can't do the stairs and they let me use the elevators. During the muster, I fold down the seat and sit. And, I go LATE so that I can position myself at the edge of the mob. Works most of the time.
Marty
Sorry... it was late for me and I guess I used the wrong word. They close the elevators for general use during the drill. Good idea about the cane with a seat. Might be a good idea to get one.

I do recommend that you check out where the drill is. If it is in a lounge you can go a little early and get a comfy seat.

Happy cruising.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I generally wait up for close to 10 minutes after the drill is called to head on down. I learned from the first "deck" based mustar drill to NOT go early!!!! I always have front row for muster drill!!!! Usually it is the people in the very back who need help because they are ready to pass out because they were there and waiting when the drill was called....silly, foolish, WHY!!!!!!!

I like the idea of lounges, but on the BIG ships, there is enough space on the open deck for everyone.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Admiral

okay, I totally understood what you were talking about huffca but that's because I've been through it once with you.

We had our first drill in a lounge and yes, we went a little early to make sure we had a place to sit, however our second drill was on deck and quite a bit different.
We did not know that there would be so many people... we were like one of the first people out on deck and we ended up standing and being squished for quite a while...
but I say hey... if it will help to save our lives in case of emergency.. then I have no problem giving up a few mins of my cruise....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old September 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Where do I sign up to muster to a lounge? For us it is been out by the lifeboats.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

I'm not good at going up the stairs, but I can. We always start about 20 minutes early and walk up (this is the way we'd need to go in an emergency and it's good to practice ).

On cruises where we have to assemble outside on deck, I just tell the crew person in charge that I must be in the front since I can't handle "crowds". I've never had any problem with this.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Where do I sign up to muster to a lounge? For us it is been out by the lifeboats.
... Luck of the draw.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
I'm not good at going up the stairs, but I can. We always start about 20 minutes early and walk up (this is the way we'd need to go in an emergency and it's good to practice ).

On cruises where we have to assemble outside on deck, I just tell the crew person in charge that I must be in the front since I can't handle "crowds". I've never had any problem with this.

You cant handle crowds but go on a cruise with 2000 people where you have to wait in a lot of lines etc? Unless youre just saying that to get to the front of the drill then I dont get how you can enjoy a cruise..Just wondering if you were kidding or not..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Captain

Quote:

You cant handle crowds but go on a cruise with 2000 people where you have to wait in a lot of lines etc? Unless youre just saying that to get to the front of the drill then I dont get how you can enjoy a cruise..Just wondering if you were kidding or not..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:

not related to the post. but briguy. You live close to me. I'm in Antioch and work in Concord. Small world.:-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory