Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anytime dining

Legend has the option . Liberty is getting the option. Does anyone know if we will have the option?
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I believe the plan FOR THE MOMENT is to have all those in the Bloggers group dine in the same dining room, at the same seating.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Kuki will that be late or early? Just curious what the plan is
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Kuki will that be late or early? Just curious what the plan is
Beenie.. good question We've been pushing for the answers to that and many other questions.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Admiral

OH Good! I was worried I had not gotten that memo

Well we'll see what the future holds, regardless I am sure that no one will go hungry.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
Admiral

I beleive sometime in 2009 it will be available on all of Carnival ships, but not sure what the schedule is.

In an unscientific poll on John Heald's Blog (he has been doing polls lately), at least 40% of those responding wanted Anytime dining as an option.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
I beleive sometime in 2009 it will be available on all of Carnival ships, but not sure what the schedule is.

In an unscientific poll on John Heald's Blog (he has been doing polls lately), at least 40% of those responding wanted Anytime dining as an option.
Anytime dining works great on NCL ships designed specifically for Freestyle (with 10 different restaurants). I think it's a mess on ships designed for traditional dining. At least it has been on ships that I've sailed that swtiched to a combination of both.

Example.. Princess. There's a reason more people choose traditional than they can handle, and get assigned Any Time, which they don't want... so it turns into let Princess choose when you eat, instead of you.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Passenger

I believe it is for the early seating.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki

Anytime dining works great on NCL ships designed specifically for Freestyle (with 10 different restaurants). I think it's a mess on ships designed for traditional dining. At least it has been on ships that I've sailed that swtiched to a combination of both.

Example.. Princess. There's a reason more people choose traditional than they can handle, and get assigned Any Time, which they don't want... so it turns into let Princess choose when you eat, instead of you.
On my last Princess cruise, 2 dining rooms were Anytime and 1 dining room was traditional, which would seem to support that most people wanted Anytime.

One problem with having a mix is that those with traditional dining seem to think they are also entitled to use the Anytime dining rooms which messes things up for everyone.

As for NCL, most restaurants are extra cost and you make reservations for the time you want. They might allow walkins, but that isn't most of their business.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Passenger

On the NCL Pearl, there were a lot of different restaurants to choose from that were no extra cost, and they were very good.

Claudia
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
On my last Princess cruise, 2 dining rooms were Anytime and 1 dining room was traditional, which would seem to support that most people wanted Anytime.
That's the same system on all Princess ships which have 3 dining rooms. But I don't think it's because of demand from passengers. It's simply what Princess decided to do.

Since anytime dining began on Princess, there are ALWAYS wait lists for the Traditional Dining room. If it were due to passenger demand I'd be much more understanding. I've sailed Princess several times with "Personal Choice", and made my way through fine...but they should call it Princess Choice, because mostly they decide when you want to eat.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
As for NCL, most restaurants are extra cost and you make reservations for the time you want. They might allow walkins, but that isn't most of their business.
We just completed a cruise on NCL Jewel, on Nov. 9. There are two dining rooms, the Garden Cafe buffet, and the Blue Lagoon that are included in the cruise fare.

The others carry surcharges of between $10-25 pp depending on the restaurant. On all port days the surcharge restaurants had a 2 for 1 special from 5:30 to 7:30.

The thing about their alternate restaurants is they all do offer a different type of food, Italian, Asian, Continental, Steak House, Teppanyaki, Tex-Mex. Simply more choices of style than their traditional Dining Rooms.

During our 12 night cruise I never saw any of the alternate restaurants full, and only saw a wait at the main dining rooms one night at the peak time of 7 or so.

One thing I've said about NCL, before booking add $100 or so per person to the cost of the cruise. If it's still a good deal, then book knowing you can enjoy all NCL has to offer. With their introduction of Freestyle 2.0 , since the spring they've added $$$ towards their food depts. and it shows!!

I think you can often find a base price on NCL cruises at low enough prices, that even adding the extras for the surcharge restaurants, you're still paying less than on other lines.... but getting a wider variety of choices.

This last cruise we dined six times in the regular dining rooms, and six in the alternates, and except for one entree I had, I thought the food was at least as good as any of the mass market lines.

Carnival has come a long way with their food depts. the last half decade, and now NCL has to.

For group cruises I think Traditional Dining works much better than Freestyle or any of the others line's alternatives though. Non-traditonal systems are much too difficult to organize group dining.