CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Funship Freddie (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/362263-funship-freddie.html)

Joe323 March 11th, 2009 10:28 AM

Funship Freddie

Has Freddie been retired or does he still appear on the ships?

travelgalSue March 11th, 2009 10:47 AM

In all my cruises with CCL I have only seen Freddie one time. Guess he only comes out for special sailings. He may be in the kid areas but don't know that for sure. You can buy a stuffed toy of him in the gift shops!

dina March 11th, 2009 12:06 PM

I saw Freddie on my Valor cruise just a few weeks ago.

briguy March 11th, 2009 01:12 PM

Freddie is always there whenever I cruise. He doesnt have any appeal to me but kids like him. Seems to be like a amusement park character. Guess thats how Carnival views itself.

bahamamomma March 11th, 2009 01:24 PM

He's better than the alligator that NCL has - and we didn't know about the allligator until we saw the sail-away pics that were posted for folks to buy!

msblackjack March 11th, 2009 01:30 PM

Freddy has been on all my carnival sailings; he is usually out and about at the sailways; the past guest reception and some of the shows....
even better you can be your own freddy as carnival now sells the funnel hats.

Joe323 March 11th, 2009 03:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I bought one of those stuffed Fredies for my then girlfriend now Finance' Karen because she likes stuffed animals. He resides on her dresser. Anyway I was curious to see if he would be on our upcoming Fascination cruise(Karens' first cruise) and it sounds likr the answer is probably yes.

The Camp Carnival staff tried to sell me a teddy bear, as well but I can get those anywhere. Freddie is unique to Carnival.

Again, Thanks.

lhp March 11th, 2009 04:36 PM

Freddie is still around.

He only comes out about 30 minutes on a typical day and makes brief appearances at the Welcome Aboard Show etc.

There are times when he will not be on a cruise IF the "Funship Freddie" person (yes, there is a specially trained person who does him) has rotated off and the new person has not yet rotated on.

This happened on the Victory 2007 and just last month on the Fantasy.

(The only reason we know is because they send us FF schedule so that we can avoid him....youngest son has Autism and panic attacks around mascots.)

Joe323 March 11th, 2009 05:06 PM

(The only reason we know is because they send us FF schedule so that we can avoid him....youngest son has Autism and panic attacks around mascots.)

Sorry to hear that. Hope all well

lhp March 11th, 2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe323

Sorry to hear that. Hope all well

It has actually been an excellent learning tool.

Since Freddie was introduced in 2002, Carnival has sent us Funship Freddie's schedule before each cruise and we simply avoid where he is going to be (since he is only out a short amount of time).

Over the years (our 17 year old just finished his 30th cruise) our son has learned to compensate when there was an "accidental" meeting on the Promenade. And he is slowing allowing Freddie closer and closer with less and less panic attacks.

Now I doubt we are going to be having our picture taken with him any time soon......but our son has learned that he can co-exist with mascots and how to remove himself safely if he has an encounter.

You would not believe how many mascots you come across on a daily basis until you have a child with this phobia. (Sports events, Nascar, the place that cuts hair "Sport Cuts" uses a guy walking around as a baseball player, a tax place where in town has Ms. Liberty and if I never see the ChickFila Cow again...it will be tooooo soon.)

Thoth March 11th, 2009 10:43 PM

I like meeting Freddy. He's always been cool to me. he appears to be a nice guy, just a little shy perhaps in that I doesn't talk much. He will always speak, just not much on conversation. :o

thecruisequeen March 11th, 2009 11:30 PM

Hey Freddy does the Cupid Shuffle and Soca Dance!! LOL

He does however need to really shake those hips some more. :-?

He always has a smile on his face, he dances, lives on a ship and he does not talk!! That sounds like the perfect guy! :wink: :-P :twisted:

Joe323 March 12th, 2009 12:21 AM

Wow I diud not know there were so many Freddy fans out there. BTW I just looked at his feet I have been spelling Freddy wrong

passionmango March 14th, 2009 10:54 AM

I have seen fun ship freedy on all carvinal crusies I have been on, 2 days out of the 7 that I have seen him.

SeaWench March 14th, 2009 08:14 PM

On the Legend they had 2 Freddie's. One at the Deck party dancing. Then one in the ship because it was formal night and he had on a tuxedo!

I have seen him on every sailing with CCL