Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Default St. Thomas/St. Maarten "Things to Do"

Very soon, DH and I are going on Glory's Eastern Carribean trip. We are trying to finalize our shore excursions. Should we "prebook" with an independent company before we sail into port? Most of the excursions that I have looked at like to have at least 6 people and there's only the 2 of us. Also, I think I want to "tour" St. Thomas and "beach it at Sapphire Beach" and in St. Maarten, maybe do the "Regatta" and Orient Beach. Does this sound good to any of you that have visited here before? Also, which island has the best shopping? Thanks for your advise.
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

We did an island tour and Orient Beach in St Marin it was very. You could probably set up a taxi tour at the port or just arrange for a taxi to take you to the beach. They will show you around as you go.. St. Marin is beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Beginner

We just got back this past Saturday. We went to Orient Beach in St. Marteen and it is beautiful. I highly recommend it. It's easy to get to. You go outside on the pier and there is a taxi area. There are signs listed for all the main attractions. Get in line and they put you in a taxi van with other people going to the same place. It cost us $6.00 per person to get to Orient Beach (one-way). Once there, there are several beach front bars/restaurants that offer you a lounge chair for the cost of about $7.00. With this you get the chair, umbrella, a free drink and use of their washroom. Not a bad deal. I guess they may all have different deals, but that's mainly what I saw. We spent the entire day there, then headed back over to the taxi area where they assisted us to another car to take us back. One note: The beaches here are clothing optional. One side of Orient Beach is all nude, while the other is here and there.

As far as St. Thomas goes, unless you want to shop for diamonds and jewlry, then there isn't much to see downtown. They pressure you to come in the stores and i'm not joking when I say 80% of the stores are all about the diamonds. I heard it's a good place to buy - it that's what you're looking for I guess.

Here too you can just take a taxi. Downtown is about 10 minutes away from pier. We also went to Magens Bay Beach which is also very nice. Very crowded though. There is a place where you can purchase drinks / food here too. I would say it was roughly a 30 minute drive to the beach. We ended up doing an excursion, but should have just gone on our own I guess. I heard taxi cab drivers yelling out "$8.00 to magens bay" when we were down town St. Thomas. We paid $33.00 each to have the excursion take us shopping for 2 hours (too much time) and then 2 hours as the beach. I didn't realize how easy it would be until we got there and off the ship.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default St. Thomas

we've been twice,and took the sky lift across the street from the port.
It has a great view of the port,and neat shops and refreshments+
restrooms up there.It's a great view up there!!!
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Paradise Point is a must in St. Thomas. Absolutely beautiful from up there. Try one of the Bushwackers. We bought tickets on board the ship with the understanding that for whatever reason you didn't get to use them they were refundable. I can't wait to go back to St. Thomas just for the sky ride up to Paradise Point and one of those Bushwackers.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Passenger

I did the America's Cup regatta in St.Maarten and had a BLAST!!It was an awesome adventure.Count on REAL sailing.The boat heels over and you're taking on water and getting wet and just having a great time. Highly recommend this tour.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to passionmango

The Jeep tour is really nice you, get to site see as well and cruise on the Jeeps.

Carnival Splendor May 2009
Carnival Valor May 2007
Carnival Glory 2005
Carnival Conquest 2004
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

in st thomas if you want a tour and the beach you don't really need to prebook. We walked off the ship and there were many taxis offering a tour. We payed i think 20 bucks each and got a tour and he dropped us off at sapphire beach. The beach is beautiful, one of the best we have been to, and we saw the main sights like mountain top where they serve the banana daquiris. We shopped first and then the tour. If you haven't been to st. Thomas the taxis are open air in the back of pick ups but covered so the sun isn't beating in on you but you get the breeze and everything. A neat experience. The driver also picked us up at the beach and took us back to the ship. The guy we had his name was the ladies man but there were so many to choose from, all in a row as you got off the ship.