Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Passenger

Default post cruise hotel in S beach

We are flying out the day after we disembark. We are thinking of staying in S Beach for the night. It is a Sunday. First question, we have 2 kids (ages 11 ans 14) are we ok doing this? Second, can you suggest a hotel that makes the most sense given we are a family? We have a reservation at the marriott s beach but I can obviously change that.
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

I stayed at the Starlite hotel right on Ocean Drive last time I was down there. The best part of the hotel was location. It was nothing special. I think the Marriot is fine and you'll have a good time down there.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I stayed at South Beach after a cruise in 2004. I stayed at one of the nicer hotels on the beach a few blocks away from Ocean Drive. I do not particularly recommend staying on Ocean Drive if you have small children. It is the happening street on South Beach with nothing but bar/club after bar/club after bar/club. I would imagine that staying on Ocean Drive would be quite noisy and rambuctious (sp?). It is one big party scene where the young, not so young, the beautiful and not so beautiful go to see and be seen.

There are plenty of hotels along the street that lines the beach a short walk from Ocean Drive. South Beach is plenty safe for your family but there is limited things to do if you are not into partying and drinking the night away.

When picking a hotel, read as many hotel reviews on the web as you can. Many of the hotels on South Beach are older and since the purpose of South Beach is to party, a lot of the smaller hotels are not in the best condition (moldy, musty, bad service, rundown). For the most part people don't go to South Beach for the hotel. They go to party and then crash in their hotel room.

After reading loads of reviews, I settle on a bit more upscale chain hotel which was lovely. If you want, I can track down the name of it.

Depending on your budget, you may do better staying at a Biscayne Bay or Fort Lauderdale hotel on the beach. I am sure it is a more family oriented environment.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will have to agree, that any of the art deco hotels or that area per se, is not really child friendly. Also, the noise level in that area is a bit much. There is a Lowes Hotel, in that area you could check out as well, that would be more kid friendly.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Admiral

south beach is definetly a see and be seen Scene. no one goes to sleep -

we stayed at a clean older hotel - Dina mentioned it, the Starlight,

there is a fabolous looking hotel called the Hotel Victor that I would love to stay at; it is ran by Hyatt but still if you want to go to bed early you may want to do more of the resort hotels and not a So beach hotel.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat