Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to luv2cruze Send a message via AIM to luv2cruze
Default Reminder for all Able Bodied Cruisers...

Hi Everyone - I just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Splendor - down to the Mexican Riviera. I was with my husband, who is 100% disabled in a powerchair (he has MS and is unable to walk). We had a wonderful time - but I wanted to just remind everyone who is an able bodied cruiser to show some humanity and common courtesy to those enjoying a cruise from a wheelchair. There were so many instances during our 7 days on the ship where my husband would be waiting several minutes for an elevator while other passengers would run ahead of him and grab the elevator space making him wait for another elevator. He spent a lot of time waiting for them, while there were passengers who would walk up and go ahead of him, even though they may have been perfectly capable of using the stairs.

There were a couple of times where someone would go out of there way to make room for him to ride on the elevator, opting for the stairs, but it was so rare - I was mortified.
5/05 - Glory to Western Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Wow, that is disappointing to hear. Did you cruise on the April 5? My boss is on the splendor now it's her first cruise. Was your husband able to tender in Cabo? I have MS also, mine is recurring and remitting. So mine is very mild, my meds control it pretty well. What was your favorite part of the ship? Is there anything you felt could have been done better? Maybe the cruiseline should make one elevator a wheelchair only elevator so this doesn't happen in the future.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Passenger

We had a saying for guests when I worked at Disneyland many years ago.

"Guests lose all common sense when they walk through the gates"

I think the same can be said for guests on a cruise, they act in ways on the ship that they would never do back in their normal life.

More sensitivity training is needed these days to teach people basic manners.

I'm sorry people were so rude, I've experienced the same thing when travelling with my mother who is also in a wheelchair. It's just sad.
Carnival - Splendor - September 2009
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Wow, that is disappointing to hear. Did you cruise on the April 5? My boss is on the splendor now it's her first cruise. Was your husband able to tender in Cabo? I have MS also, mine is recurring and remitting. So mine is very mild, my meds control it pretty well. What was your favorite part of the ship? Is there anything you felt could have been done better? Maybe the cruiseline should make one elevator a wheelchair only elevator so this doesn't happen in the future.
Hi Katlady - Yes, we cruised on the April 5th cruise - the ship is great!! (New ship smell and everything!!)

No, he was not able to tender in Cabo - there are about 10 steps to navigate in order to get on the tender from the ship and he is not able to walk at all. I did a parasailing excursion there - it was a lot of fun..

I think my favorite part of the ship was the serinity deck - no kids, no noise. It was very peaceful to just lay out and read a book. One thing I found very interesting and I probably would not have even noticed it if I had not read the posters on this board - but they do enforce the "no kids in the adult only pool" - which is on the Lido deck, Aft. They were kicking them out left and right, if they did not appear to be 18. They also appeared to take very seriously the rule about not reserving the deck lounge chairs and if a chair was 'body-less" for 30 minutes, it was up for grabs.

One thing I would love to see Carnival do at some point in the future is to provide specific information on the ship for the disabled and those who need additional assistance. For instance - the first presentation at the ship's showroom for the introduction to the ship, with question and answer time, etc - they should offer a separate one for the disabled as there are very specific issues that would be very helpful if they were addressed right away.

In the past, I have only done cruises with my other family members (sisters, daughter, etc) but this was my first cruise with my husband, so I had not been aware previously of all the issues there are. I think an elevator in each "elevator area" JUST for wheelchairs, would be a big step in the right direction for the cruise lines!
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

It is sad to see that people would do that. I'll defer to a wheelchair/scoooter guest and catch the next one. It isn't like I was in a rush to get somewhere. I would do the stairs, alas, my knees would not hold out on me for more than a day of taking stairs! Alas, it is a problem of my own making (DON'T show off in the gtm, you'll pay for it later).

You also see this when it is time for self assist debark. I wonder how that would go if other passengers would get off in favour of a wheelchair/scooter. Personally, whenever it is debarkation day I tend to take the stairs regardless of of how overloaded with carry on items I have as the elevators are ALL full....

As for vacationers losing ALL common sense, YES!!!! You see it everytime you want to get off the ship at 0 deck where it is an open cattle call and it seems like 75% of the ship is lined up and waiting to get off the ship. I do not know why they do not let the passengers with tours leaving within 30-45 minutes of arrival off first so they do not have to run. I've been in that situation where I was in a big cramped room with hundreds others and many were just cabbing it to the beach while I had a tour that left in less than 20 minutes!!!!

They need to do it like they do for tender ports, tours first and everyone else after that!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Admiral

It's good to know they are enforcing the adult only area on Carnival. You make some good points a special talk for disable people would be useful. They can including disscussing the shore excursions that are wheelchair accessible.

I was thinking Cabo would be an issue. My boss has a family member in a wheelchair and I let her know Cabo was a tender port. So they were perpared. I was in Long Beach on April 5 and around 9AM I went to see the Splendor I was disappointed and a little confused the ship wasn't there. I heard later they moved the embarkation time to 3PM.

Parasailing you are crazy. Was it a blast? This is as close as I have come to a Parasailing in Cabo (I took the picture). I did do the sea trek excursion in Cabo. So while you were in the air; I was under the sea. If you look at my avatar that picture was taken in the ocean with an underwater camera.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Admiral

What's the hurry? What's the rush ? I just don't get it sometimes.
These elevator manners or lack of therefore reiterates my question.
Everyone seems to be making haste towards their destinations. Fact is we all share ultimately only in one destination....a cold dark box 6 feet under a well manicured meadow. I say enjoy the trip....and may it be a LONG trip ! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
What's the hurry? What's the rush ? :?: I just don't get it sometimes. :-?
These elevator manners or lack of therefore reiterates my question.
Everyone seems to be making haste towards their destinations. Fact is we all share ultimately only in one destination....a cold dark box 6 feet under a well manicured meadow. I say enjoy the trip....and may it be a LONG trip ! 8)
No box for ME!... ashes shot out of a cannon... that way I can never be a zombie combat trooper!

As someone that spent some time in a wheelchair (before 2 hips replacements) I can empathize with the problem... BUT I have also seen the opposite with scooter bound people running into people/blocking hallways/demanding "front of the bus"/etc.
The elevator problem is RUDE and should be dealt with... like RAMMING the scooter into the doors and stating some best get off as we are going nowhere until.... lol
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Beginner

Glory 5-02-09, shore tours Cozumal, Belize, Costa Maya
any advice
TK
Capt. Tuna
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Tuna
Glory 5-02-09, shore tours Cozumal, Belize, Costa Maya
any advice
TK
Capt. Tuna
What kind of advice? Are you handicapped?
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Captain

Just a presective from those who appear able bodied riding elevators.

We had numerous occasions when a wheelchair would ride up and the person would say "wheelchair coming thru" and barge ahead of us so we had to wait for a elevator. Once we waited for 3 elevators because the first two each time a wheelchair would decide they had the right not to wait and didnt realize we had been waiting longer than they had. True some able bodied didnt wait their turn, but either did the wheelchair folks.

My sister isnt as obviously disabled, on a cane. Dont assume everyone waiting is able bodied and could take the stairs.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers

We had numerous occasions when a wheelchair would ride up and the person would say "wheelchair coming thru" and barge ahead of us so we had to wait for a elevator. Once we waited for 3 elevators because the first two each time a wheelchair would decide they had the right not to wait and didnt realize we had been waiting longer than they had. True some able bodied didnt wait their turn, but either did the wheelchair folks.

My sister isnt as obviously disabled, on a cane. Dont assume everyone waiting is able bodied and could take the stairs.
Very good comment... even though I have 2 "new" hips (been a few years) I still cannot stand still for an extended time and have elected to do the stairs after waiting nicely for children(rude)/elderly(rude again)/scooter "hells angels"/wheelchairs.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Familiar Face

Default here's my view

Amen to the wheelchair elevator.....my husband is in a wheelchair. We cruised once on Carnival and the elevator situation was awful-very rude people. We traveled last September on Royal and the cruisers were exceptionally nice. People held the elevator for us!!

My husband has been disabled for 2 yrs now and it has opened my eyes to the obstacles of disabled people. We are leaving on Carnival on Aprl 18 and I'm hoping for more understanding on this cruise! Maybe I'll have to try blocking an elevator then just rushing in when the door opens!
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers

Good point about not being obvious. I have knees ...but all they do is keep my legs connected.... Stairs....going down I can do some...but going up is almost impossible most days.

But I don't use a cane or anything...so to just look at me...no one would know.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Sometimes I think that we live in the nation of rude, inattention and hypocrocity. Guess I'm old school where doors are held, listening is imperative and courtisy had prevailed. Now days that seems all out the window! I will hold on to my morales and ethics as most of the wolrd spirals into oblivian. Remember: treat others as you would have others treat you! Simple right? Hmmm maybe not.

Always forward never straight.
2009 Carnival Splendor: Mex Riv 4/19/09
2007 Carnival Victory: W. Caribean
2006 Carnival Pride: Mexican Riviera
1971-72 USCG Cutter Basswood: Guam/Marianas
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

It is rude to budge in front of anyone that is waiting for an elevator, in line for drinks, meals etc.....wheelchair or otherwise.
It is also common courtesy to allow people exiting an elevator to do so before you attempt to enter...
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedreams
It is rude to budge in front of anyone that is waiting for an elevator, in line for drinks, meals etc.....wheelchair or otherwise.
It is also common courtesy to allow people exiting an elevator to do so before you attempt to enter...
Hear, hear. Wakedreams. Agree 100%, Maybe it'll catch on!

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Admiral

To me this seems like an area the cruiselines need to work on. One of the other thread wanted to book a NCL ship, but wanted a balcony room that a motorize scooter could get in and out of. NCL appears not to have wheelchair accessible balcony rooms. What about tender ports, isn't there anything that can be done for wheelchairs to be able to tender? It is difficult to find shore excursions that are wheelchair accessible. There are other needs I haven't even thought of that could be handled better by the cruise lines.

Okay I found a very interesting site. This is the Cruise line international association (CLIA) website. It is a searchable guide for passengers in wheelchairs. You can search for ships with elevator that accept regular wheelchairs, cabins with ramp etc.
http://www.cruising.org/planyourcrui...wheelchair.cfm
Cruisemates also did an article called "Cruise guide to wheelchair cruising
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...wheelchair.cfm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Default special needs boarding question...

Just wondering, is there any type of special needs boarding? What do I do at the pier to find out?
I will be sailing on the Splendor next month with my mom who has a chronic lung disease and has to have oxygen 24/7. She's got her own little machine we bring along with us everywhere.
We've never been on Carnival before, but on NCL they allow us to board first because she gets winded quite easily if she stands in line too long. I always worry that the other passengers might get upset to see us board first because we are young (she's only 55) but in all honesty, it is difficult for her.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: special needs boarding question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellster
Just wondering, is there any type of special needs boarding? What do I do at the pier to find out?
I will be sailing on the Splendor next month with my mom who has a chronic lung disease and has to have oxygen 24/7. She's got her own little machine we bring along with us everywhere.
We've never been on Carnival before, but on NCL they allow us to board first because she gets winded quite easily if she stands in line too long. I always worry that the other passengers might get upset to see us board first because we are young (she's only 55) but in all honesty, it is difficult for her.
When you register at terminal, just let them know and they will allow you to go right on. At least we've seen it before. As we know they want your cruise to be a good and memoriable occasion and will accomodate your very needs. Don't worry about everyone else as they have no idea why you are going right onboard, for all they know you are VIPs!! Have a great cruise and happy sailing!

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Unfortunately some people will be rude no matter what, they just dont give a cr_p about none but themselves. My niece was born with spinabiffida which left her completely paralized from her mid chest down, and we went out one night with my sister and her family and attempted to park in a handicapped spot when an idiot parked there without a permit and refused to move. It was a big mess because my brother-in-law went nuts the cops were called and the idiot got a ticket for parking there. It all could have been avoided if he just let them park there instead if being a jerk. I will always make way for the wheel chair bound people. I hope the people who act like that are never in the same situation you husband is not being able to walk. Maybe if they were they would change their attitude towards disabled people.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: special needs boarding question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellster
There is a special needs form you can fill out and fax in a head of time. Here is a link to the form. There is a section related to guest with oxygen tanks.
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf
Here is the carnival website with the guests with special needs information.
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...uirements.aspx

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

=
No box for ME!... ashes shot out of a cannon... that way I can never be a zombie combat trooper!

Ashes shot out of a cannon huh? Hunter S. Thompson did that.......

I want my ashes dumped into a bottle of tequila and thrown into the ocean. I was born on Cinco de Mayo so I might as well go out that way.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
First Mate

[quote="RockChickX51"]=
Quote:

Quote:
Ashes shot out of a cannon huh? Hunter S. Thompson did that.......
No HE DIDN'T... someone did it for him...or to him... lmao
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedreams
I agree completely. Why people able bodied and otherwise seem to think that pushing into an elevator before people can get out is a good idea is beyond me. It just creates a melee of people that makes it so that no one is getting where they need to go.

I also agree that it is rude to insinuate oneself in front of anyone that is clearly already waiting, regardless of whether or not you are able bodied. I have a neurological disease that has eaten away at many of my muscles, while others may see an able bodied young woman who they believe is capable of the taking the stairs, what they don't see is the multiple screws, plates and other inventions holding me together, just barely. While I'd love to give someone in a wheelchair first spot on the elevator, if I've been standing for any more than a few minutes chances are I'm suffering.

Why can't we all just follow the golden rule, then this would all be moot.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Admiral

My favorite is when I have pushed the elevator button and it is lighted. Then a new person comes and pushes the button, like the elevator is going to say, "hey now there is two people I better hurry down there!!!" Maybe the new person didn't think I pushed the button hard enough.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Hi - thanks for all of the responses - this seems to be an important topic to a lot of people for different reasons..

One thing I would like to make clear though - I think some people may have misinterpreted my main point in the initial post... I certainly did not mean to say that everyone on two feet should take the stairs and that wheelchair bound folks should have first dibs on the elevators!! Not a bit!! I totally know there are a lot of people who would be unable to take the stairs, can't walk very far for a number of reasons or wait in line too long... Believe me - I am well versed in lives of folks who need extra assistance - my husband was diagnosed with his MS in 1990, yet did not have much difficulty walking until about 2000 or so - but prior to that, it was difficult to tell he had a physical impairment.

My whole tirade was more centered around the people who just ran up to the elevators and took them away from other people who had been waiting longer - and the people in wheelchairs are much slower than those who feel they have somewhere to go more important than anyone else.

I completely agree there can be some people in wheelchairs who can also be rude, but that was not the case here...

Cheers!
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Admiral

I agree to an extent that it seems that a lot of folks lose any common sense they may have had when they go cruising but then on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if they are always that way and it just naturally comes out on them in the right environment
I always try to be courteous to everyone wherever I am but especially thoughtful of people who are truly handicapped.
One big peeve of mine is when the elevator door opens and some nut is standing close enough to it that his nose is almost touching the door and tries to get on before you can get off . We were on a cruise back in Jan. with my elderly sister and once I stuck my hand out to stop a young punk-20 or so who was trying to get on and bumped my sister. I put my hand out onto his chest and told him to just hold on, that as soon as he would allow us off he could get on and ride the elevator the rest of the day if he wished.
I seriously doubt it sunk into his thick skull though.
I usually like to take the stairs as much as I can as it does help to burn a few extra calories that I know I'm going to consume sometime, or many times during the day !!
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Truth is, whether you can walk or not, these days people consider those who are disabled as second class citizens. It is proper courtesy to let disabled go first, though I personally always make a point of being kind. Send out good vibes into the universe, it will be returned to you.

"Whatever you put out, whether for good or for evil, comes back to you threefold return."
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
[

.. lol
Of course we jest, but I hope that once the organs are retrieved that there won't be enough left to bury.
give my eyes to a blind person
give my heart to someone one step from heart failure
give my kidneys to someone on dialysis
and so on.
bury what little is left in a shoebox.
or cremate me and shoot me out of a cannon for that matter...

/ticker.png">