Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Shopping at Sea?

While my Massachusetts license plate says SHOP*R, I find I don't go overboard, [hehe] shopping onboard. On the CM, Century cruise, I got sick, and I went to the shop to get some nose spray, and almost fell over when I saw the price...Now, I manke sure I pack the entire medicine cabinet!

The ladies boutique, while it has some very unique clothing, most of it is just overpriced.....I do enjoy some of sidewalk sales they have, we have gotten some nice watches, some pashminas to chase the chill. Gold by the inch should be outlawed

One year, Bruce went bonkers at that art auction, I had to ask him , who kidnapped my husband!!

So, do you shop at sea?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

We normally don't shop.

Except the DW has found good bargains on perfume.

Compared to Canadian Prices.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Admiral

I don't know yet but I would like to think if I had the funds and a way to transport it, I may consider purchasing some of the better deals on better items. Yeah, I don't believe you on going overboard on the spending when it is clear you are a shopaholic with that license plate.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Normally I don't buy too many items at sea....unless the liquor cabinet at the house is getting low, then I do take advantage of some spirits.

As for taking the medicine cabinet with you, I know what you mean. When I was on The Glory in 2007 one of my kids had a bad stomach ache, so I went down to the infirmary where they sold me a bottle of Pepto Bismol, the brand they have at Dollar General for $2, the cost was $10.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Admiral

The DW makes sure I walk away with a souvenir T-shirt (my clothing staple) but that is pretty much it on board.

On the medical side we had a pretty rough ride on our last cruise and ran out of Dramamine so we went to a drug store and bought "gravel" (or something like that) in Antigua or St. Kitts. Ten pills for 25 cents. Took them to the ship's clinic before the DW took any. It is the same active ingredient. Our best cruise shopping bargain.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Captain

Other then Souveniers (T-shirts Funship Freddy etc) I do not shop at sea (or see lol) except that I might buy some liquor.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Carnival gives away seasick pills, Tylenol, Advil, maybe others at the purser's desk as well as the infirmary. But, if you try to buy medicine cabinet type stuff in the gift shops, you pay big time. Which is why I take stuff I hope never to need, like cold med's.
Other than that, I rarely find anything that tempts me on board. The prices just aren't that good anymore. I hate to admit this on the Carnival forum, but when we went on NCL Dawn a couple of years ago, I loved their gift shop. Lots of fun huge variety of high end and low end. Have a scarf I bought there for almost nothing. Picked up tons of holiday gifts for friends and family. Carnival seems to be converting most of their gift shop areas to expensive jewelry, which I like looking at, but don't really need any more of it. Would rather put the same money toward another cruise!
Shopping in ports is a different story. Depends entirely upon the port and what they offer (not chain stores).
Marty
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Marty, at least this isn't the Carnival site's forums. Honestly, I think the reason the cruiseline my be going more high end for their gift shops is they probably make more money off it, ignoring the fact that selling more of less expensive items will show a significant profit over fewer sales of more expensive items.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Yes, on a sea day I usually wander down and get some Lancome. It's cheaper there than on land and there's no tax. Once in a blue moon, my husband might buy some liquor but it's such a hassle to get home that he usually doesn't anymore.