Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Does it make you wonder?

In this community of avid cruisers, I know we find it hard to understand why anybody would not share our love of this type of vacation. I have been at this for a long time now, and, basically my mind is at sea, 24/7, but of course we know that for many, they have chosen not to cruise..

There are of course, millions of peple who have cruised, but many millions more who have not yet cruised, for various reasons. Some have cruised, and it was not there cuppa tea.

I love to have discussions with non cruisers or, one time cruisers, to hear what they have to say.One of my sons won't cruise, I told him he was left on my doorstep Do you try and convert non cruisers, or accept that it's not for everyone, and leave it at that?

While I wonder why some people turn their noses up, at the same time, I basically do the same, for all inclusives..we are such avid fans, it's hard to understand sometimes..but of course, it's different strokes for different folks

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I also find it terribly ironic when a reluctant first time cruiser finally goes on a cruise and is totally hooked. So many people think they will be bored on a cruise and find out its nothing like that?? In most cases its males that don't want to take that first step and go, but in most cases, once they do, thats all it takes, but getting there is something else.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Admiral

I have travel in my very blood myself, but many people in my area are stuck in the same routine and will not go anywhere else because "people aren't normal there".
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Interesting subject. I have several friends that absolutely refuse to cruise. When asked why the usual reply is they prefer driving somewhere. I then began to realize that for some (but not all) it is a matter of "being in control". By that I mean they would rather be able to choose where they want to go and when they want to go. Being on a ship you are at the mercy of the Captain as to where you are going. However, I myself like the unpack once, let someone else to the driving atmosphere. To each his own And oh yes, sunrise and sunset at sea is perhaps a slight glimpse of what heaven is really like. Bon voyage to all!
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Well, there will always be those xenophobic types that don't like "outsiders" who are different. While this often found in ethnocentric neighborhoods in large cities, it is also very prevalent in parts of the American South, particularly small rural communities.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Does it make you wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
In this community of avid cruisers, I know we find it hard to understand why anybody would not share our love of this type of vacation. I have been at this for a long time now, and, basically my mind is at sea, 24/7, but of course we know that for many, they have chosen not to cruise..

There are of course, millions of peple who have cruised, but many millions more who have not yet cruised, for various reasons. Some have cruised, and it was not there cuppa tea.

I love to have discussions with non cruisers or, one time cruisers, to hear what they have to say.One of my sons won't cruise, I told him he was left on my doorstep :) Do you try and convert non cruisers, or accept that it's not for everyone, and leave it at that?

While I wonder why some people turn their noses up, at the same time, I basically do the same, for all inclusives..we are such avid fans, it's hard to understand sometimes..but of course, it's different strokes for different folks :)
As a cruiser I can undertsand why some do not care for this type of vacation. It depends on your personality and what kind of traveler you are. While I like to cruise, it in no way compares to a land vacation where I can take my time and explore a location, mix with the people and sample their culture. On a cruise you stop in a port for a very short time and are for the most part only seeing the tourist areas set up basically for cruisers. There is little time or incentive to explore. You come away from a cruise with no real sense of the country you've visited. Some cruisers feel that since they've paid for the food onboard they don't eat in the ports, sad but true.

There are those who feel confined on a ship for even one sea day with no way off. All that lounging around the pool and playing silly games is not for them. A friend of mine always tells me he can't swim to land and he can't drink all that water. So he only joined a group of us on one cruise. I haven't been able to get him to go on another one. Now schedule a land vacation and he's there.

Then of course there's the attitude, some cruisers have a very superior and somewhat elitest attitude. But I don't find them in the majority, thank goodness. When I need a carefree vacation I book a cruise. I don't have to cook, clean or have any serious plans. There are those who find this incredibly boring. If i weren't in the mood for it, I would to.

And lets not forget people who fear large crowds and the water, a bad combination for may people. I doubt you'll get many responses on this board from non-cruisers because it is after all a cruise board.

I say live and let live. Variety is the spice of life and I like my life very spicey.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Admiral

I am personally a non-cruiser wanting to cross that line. I consider myself a traveler.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Admiral

It took me 2 years to get my wife's sister and hubby to go on a cruise. They just couldn't comprehend the size of the ships and were afraid, especially my sister-in-law, of the water. I knew in my heart they would love to cruise so I finally got them on the Glory in Sept. of '07 and once aboard I never heard the mention of the water come up. They were thrilled and hooked. We went again in Oct. of '08 on the Mariner and needless to say they really enjoyed that. Now they're hooked and wanting to go again on the Carnival Dream in Jan. '10.
I also have some friends in a nearby small town that finally went on a cruise a couple years ago and now they want to cruise all the time--4 times in a little less than 2years with # 5 coming up in Nov.--a 14 dayer no less.
Sometimes it's just the unknown that people fear--maybe afraid they'll be seasick, maybe it's too formal, etc. but in most cases once they take the plunge that's it--hooked !!
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I guess some people don't cruise..because of the costs.. travel can be expensive when the pocketbook is light.. I've been on this board for sometime..because I have always wanted to go on a cruise, I get all the travel brochures, have all the cruise websites bookmarked.. can even quote some dates and prices for certain cruises... I dream of that floating buffet !!..but getting the $$$$ together, seems to be the hardest part.. just when I think I have it all set and we're good to go, something else comes up.. I haven't had the chance to cruise yet..but I sure hope one day I will ... I keep dreaming and praying.. Know any wish-angels out there? lol
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Admiral

I think one thing that people do not realize is how affordable cruising really is. If you wait until the off-season for your destination choice, you will get prices that are less expensive than many airlines these days.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Admiral

We used to have a Vietnamese neighbor. He married and took his bride on a honeymoon cruise. When they returned and I asked how it went, he said that he forgot one thing...he is terrified of the ocean. He came to US via a small craft that overturned en route. A US coast guard cutter saved him and a few others, but almost everyone with him drowned. Now, that reason for not ever cruising again I can understand!
Marty
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
First Mate

All of my family and friends are land-locked people. The #1 reason I hear from them is they think the ship will be too small to be enjoyable for the length of the cruise. I was hooked after my honeymoon cruise in 1986.

CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately people have many misconceptions about cruising. I think they expect the ship to be the size of a land based town or something. I am making it my mission to convert people to the religion of Cruising. Amen brothas and sistas, Amen!
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Passenger

Trip, I get terribly motion-sick, so I never considered a cruise. My son and daughter-in-law have gone on several, but, Lord have mercy, not me.

Then, gullible me, I truly I believed I had won a cruise....one of these disreputable companies who fool people. During the time that I really believed I won it, I started thinking, hmmmm, sounds pretty cool. That opened my heart up to cruising....and later I thought, I'm just going to do it! Once I did, the best thing that ever happened to me was finding this community.....because you have all convinced me that I'm going to think I died and gone to heaven. I can't wait until July!
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mosiegirl,
Maybe trying to find a cruise from NYC, or Boston, might lower the price of travel for you, and lighten the load a bit...I hope your day will come soon, until then, enter every cruise contest you can

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I'm going on cruise #7 in September. It will be my sixth cruise in a 2.5 year span!!!!!! People at work don't realize or understand that cruisng is amazig fun, and yes, I wish I was at sea 24/7!!!!

If I was fortunate enough to have a small fortune I would be on a cruise ship at least once a month at the very least. I'd come home do the usual post cruise stuff and then get ready all over again. I am so happy and at peace on the ship. I love the fact that you can see anywhere from 1-6+ different ports in a week and get little glimpses of the best islands in the Caribbean!!!!

Some women I work with made comments that they'd never cruise because they don't like to be told what to do and when. I told then the only time your told anything is when you get on and of the ship and when to be back ON the ship before it sails to the next port. One even said she'd prefer a land vacation because she wants to have fun at night and there would be nothing to do at night on the ship--that is when I mentioned that there is a disco, piano bar, and god knows how many other lounges and bars to park your ass and have some fun..I also mentioned watching movies under the stars is the best way to watch a movie....

I would be so bored silly on a land vacation, why, because I can't lay out in the sun for hours on end. I have to do something and I suck at most sports and water activities (snorkling included). People just don't understand that when you go on a cruise it is just like being on a hotel that floats you to a new destination several times that week.

Untimately what it comes down to is until they actually go on a cruise they will not know what it is like. I am hooked. I was hooked in 1991. The sad part was food, clothing, and shelter was more important than vacations. I can afford to go now. I may have to drop to one cruise a year in 2011, but I'll manage!!!! My fridge has NO room left for anymore fridge magnets and I have only seen a fraction of the islands in the Caribbean!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Mosiegirl,
Maybe trying to find a cruise from NYC, or Boston, might lower the price of travel for you, and lighten the load a bit...I hope your day will come soon, until then, enter every cruise contest you can
Hi Trip,

Yes..we've thought of that.. considered at first the Dream in Nov 2009..out of New York.. we would have driven there, parked at the pier and sailed.. then the transmision blew on the car..there went our deposit ..

so then we thought about a cruise out of Boston.. through NCI into Bermuda for October 2010... but then our son needed braces for his teeth.. there went that deposit.. ..

now we're back to square one.. and trying to figure what would be the cheapest cruise for a family of 4.. do we drive/park/sail or fly/sail? I've weighed it on paper over and over many times.. sometimes it balances out to almost equal about the same.. if I can book flights ourselves and bank on some seat sales etc.. and try and line that up with cruises on sale.. but the two never seem to be on sale at the same time.. .. oh, what a pickle !

My husband is funny.. he keeps saying that I need a cruise fairy.. and I'm like .. yeah ! what are the odd's of that every happening.. ... slim to none.... so yes.. I'll keep entering the contests and saving $$ and one day... ONE DAY.. I'll be cruising !!
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Admiral

The one thing you aren't accounting for is that flights and cruises have different peak seasons, shoulder seasons, and off seasons. The most likely time to find sales on both is during a shoulder season for both destinations. Shoulder season is the time between the peak tourist season and the off season. While the off season is a bit lower than shoulder, prices during shoulder season will be quite reasonable.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Admiral

Most of those who proclaim "you will never get me on one of those boats"
tend to underestimate the size of most modern ships. They can't comprehend 1000' long, 13 passenger decks, or 100,000 gross tons.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:50 AM
Admiral

Even the smallest ships weigh in a around 50,000 gross tons.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Mosiegirl,
Maybe trying to find a cruise from NYC, or Boston, might lower the price of travel for you, and lighten the load a bit...I hope your day will come soon, until then, enter every cruise contest you can:)
I don't know about cruises fares from Boston but I live in NYC and the prices are higher than leaving from Florida or California. I make out better even with the airfare. I book cruises early enough that I have plenty of time to find a decent airfare.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I know more then a few people who went on a cruise and would never do it again. As for myself, I oh so love it!!! I go with the girls and for some reason I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much if I went with the family.
My hubby could care less about going on a cruise. Lucky me

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

Kelli and I have been hooked for many years! We love going on a cruise and when we get back from one we are not comfortable until we are booked again! I know that sounds crazy but thats just us.

We have friends that don't cruise and they like teasing up about being on a "boat" to which I always correct them by saying its a "ship". We talked
another couple into doing a short cruise back in 2005 and they have cruised w/us since! They are hooked to.

We just enjoy cruising and reading this board!!

Lee & Kelli