Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Man overboard!..........again! Carnival Fantasy

In the Gulf of Mexico. I didn't see hiim when I was out yesterday but the Coast Guard is looking. I saw them while I was out. Good thing they didn't try to board my vessel. There were two drunk naked people onboard

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...T&SECTION=HOME

Man goes overboard from cruise ship

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The Coast Guard is searching for a man believed to have gone overboard from a cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Coast Guard say 18-year-old Bruce Okrepki reportedly went overboard from the Carnival Fantasy at about 9:45 p.m. Sunday, about 150 miles southwest of Tampa.

Okrepki is from Louisiana but authorities aren't certain of his hometown.

A search plane, helicopter and Coast Guard cutter were sent out to search.

The ship had left New Orleans and was en route to Key West.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sadly, death by cruise ship is becoming all too common;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Dave - Only two drunk naked people aboard your boat ???
Whats happening--you must be slowing down a bit !!

Sorry someone else has OB'd again but it's been a little while since the last one so I've been looking for it to happen any day. Sad but in my opinion entirely preventable--just keep your feet on the deck.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Passenger

I suppose our wonderful John Kerry will really be pushing for higher rails on all the decks of cruise ships again!!!!!
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Admiral

My question is how this is so common.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If everytime someone jumped off of a building or bridge, or shot or hung themselves, etc. , it made the news, then the number of these ship's incidents would seem miniscule in comparison.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Admiral

I'm just saying it begs the question "How does this happen every few months?"(Remember, there was a woman overboard on another line about 6 months ago.)
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I'm just saying it begs the question "How does this happen every few months?"(Remember, there was a woman overboard on another line about 6 months ago.)
because people are STUPID...or suicidal, or drunk and stupid...

you NEVER hear of kids going overboard...and really... push a chair up to the railing and a 4 yr old could hop over if they wanted too...thing is they arent that stupid.

Not sure what happened, but 18 yr olds are for the most part "invincible" i can picture a daredevil act from an 18 yr old to impress friends, or an 18 yr old that got a hold of some booze...but fact is, he didnt "slip and fall". He fell being stupid or jumped.

I like what Kooky said...my niece just hung herself, she had a mental disorder, it was horribly sad, but we arent screaming to ban belts or make them brake away if used in a manner they arent intended for. Most people arent going to do things on purpose to possibley inflict death.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Admiral

I know kids are rash and do foolish things and always think they are invincible. The television show Jackass certainly didn't help matters. As for me, I will swear I am unable to be killed. Not because of any overconfidence, but simply because thus far empirical evidence points to that conclusion(and yes this is something that seems to be tested quite often with me). Can't figure that one out, but the way I see it, kids need to quit being so cocky.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Captain

evidently there was a fight between him and his girlfriend. He had threatened to jump prior to this and was most likely drunk. I read some comments from people in his home town that said they knew him and some others that were there.

probably sounds about right.

here is the link

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stor...omments_anchor[/url]
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Admiral

Well, I know he was in the Gulf, but he really let himself get "carried away".
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
If everytime someone jumped off of a building or bridge, or shot or hung themselves, etc. , it made the news, then the number of these ship's incidents would seem miniscule in comparison.
If somebody jumped off the same building a couple of times a year people would be looking for a link. The media views the cruise industry as that one building.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have cruised with my boys many times. I can't imagine losing one. If Nurseypoo is correct, he had a fight with his grilfriend I can believe it.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...."

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Supposedly this was a chaperoned trip ? Or so they say.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Captain

How sad for this young man and his family and friends. It is difficult to just "fall off" a ship, but not impossibile, particularly when there is alcohol involved or just following the typical clownish behavior that you so often see with groups of young people.

We were on the Holiday just last week and there was a large group of high school graduates as well as a group who appeared to be college aged. There were some adults along with them, but for the most part these young people were roaming the ship day and night without the adults around. They were not necessarily misbehaving, but we shook our heads and smilingly made comments of how they were all trying to be so grown up. Girls and boys were going in and out of cabins together and we saw them on the open decks at all hours.

My sister and her hubby were on the lido deck around 10:00 pm one night and two little boys were up there alone. We had seen them with their father (assumed a single parent) throughout the cruise. There is a vertical window near the tables around the pool that opens in to allow for fresh air. These windows open onto a small corner area of a deck next to a lifeboat and a rail. These boys who were about 5 - 8 years old were leaning out the window and hanging onto the rail outside of it and still climbing. My sister very sternly told them to get down and cautioned them of falling overboard. She watched them go into the ship by themselves. There was no adult around watching them.

Had I witnessed this, I would have brought them back in from the window area and called security to find their parent(s) rather than leaving to find their own way back to their cabin. The parent had already been in the hot tub with them earlier that day and was fussing at them for diving into the hot tub (which is for adults only). His remark to them was to stop and that they were not supposed to be in the hot tub anyway, but he did not make them get out. He knew the rules and ignored them, just as his boys did later that night and it could have been tragic for them.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

I made a father furious once because I stopped his 2 young boys from climbing the deck railing at the aft of the ship. No one else was around, so I stopped them. I didn't yell at them, just had them get down, then look at how far down the water was and explained....with a tiny bit of embellishment....what could happen. Dad showed up and yelled at me. I refused to apologize to the idiot.
Marty
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Nurseypoo,
I am so sorry about your niece. Suicide is horrible for those who love that person, no matter what the situation. Hugs and prayers to you and her.
Marty
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I have cruised with my boys many times. I can't imagine losing one. If Nurseypoo is correct, he had a fight with his grilfriend I can believe it.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...."
" And I know it's my own damn fault."

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Sadly, death by cruise ship is becoming all too common;(
You know, Trip, I wonder if it's not like this for them...

Last year I went to the top of the Empire State Bldg for the first time, and asked the guard fellow what the steel things curving overhead were for...they were pretty enough, but I wondered. I was so shocked to hear him say they were to keep people from jumping to their deaths.

I wonder if, in the confusion and heartache that must accompany suicide, if they hope to add the aura of success of their chosen death-place to the aching lack of success they perceive in their own lives. The human psyche is such a tender and bewildering place. Wouldn't llife be easier if our hearts couldn't ache? But then we wouldn't be human.

Doesn't the very idea of cruising...implanted in me by the sincere love of you veterans for cruising...take that achy heart and fill it with fun?

Love ya, Trip...
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Admiral

It’s very sad when someone feels that suicide is their only option especially someone so young. I’m not sure if that’s what this was or just a accident . Either way it horrible

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

This boy had just graduated high school, he was on a family sponserd trip with his parents, and other graduates from the same school and their families. It was not a school sponsered trip, his parents were on the ship chaperoning.
Unfortunately he was an 18 year old kid on a trip with his senior classmates and as any of you have raised an 18 year old know, you can NOT watch every move that they make. The local news media are still saying that he "fell" from the ship. There has been no mention here that he "jumped" He was from Hammond, LA about 30 miles south of where I live.
TC

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Search called off for cruise passenger gone overboard
Tuesday, May 26, 2009

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The Coast Guard has suspended its search for an 18-year-old from Louisiana who fell overboard during a cruise to celebrate his high school graduation.

The search was called off Tuesday night. The Coast Guard said Bruce O'Krepki went over the rails of the Carnival Fantasy on Sunday night about 150 miles southwest of Tampa. Boats and aircraft searched an area of nearly 5,300 square miles.

O'Krepki graduated with honors from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Hammond, La., where he ran track and played soccer. He was with about 30 classmates and members of their families on the ship. His uncle Rick O'Krepki said the teen's parents were among the chaperones.

The ship had left New Orleans and was en route to Key West.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...verboard<br />

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Shakes head.................it's the end of the world..........it's the end of the world.........or at least may be the end of cruising as we know it.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Captain

Again, this is just so sad - for the boy, his parents, grandparents, fellow classmates and all of those on board, not to mention all of us who are addicted to cruising. It is so hard to shake from our heads, the mental picture of an incident of someone going over the rails and disappearing into the dark waters.

After the entertainer on the Sensation went overboard on New Years Eve and I googled him because we had just been on the ship two months earlier, I was never able to get him out of my mind. In January on the Fantasy we had a "Bravo" (man overboard) announcement around 1 or 2 am and after about 45 minutes the man was found on-board. That in itself was a harrowing experience for all of us and he was found. I can only imagine how hard it would be to be on the Fantasy this week.

I don't know where the rumor (true or not) started about this being a suicide, but I truly hope for the sake of his family that it is proven to be accidental.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Whether on purpose or not, he ruined the cruise for all involved. Apparently this was the first night of the cruise. The week was ruined after all that planning.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
First Mate

I just don't see how you can 'fall' overboard.
I am 5ft 8ins and the rail is at rib level on me. I would have to climb up to go over.
There should be video of what actually happened, but i bet he didn't 'fall'...
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I don't pretend to have the answers as to why people OB on a ship. Some may be suicides but in my own opinion, most just don't realize the danger they're in when they start acting silly, such as having a little " thingee"on a balcony rail, climbing about on the rails,, life boats, etc. and doing a myriad of other things that common sense should tell them not to do.
I would also have to think that alcohol plays a very big part in this sort of senseless activity.
It's sad--no doubt but it's something that's preventable and in my opinion, people normally get what they are asking for.
Just yesterday 2 were killed in my home county in a car wreck. A few days ago, 2 more --a few weeks prior, another and so on and so it goes. Speed and alcohol figured into most. Figure up how many people are killed on the highways in one days time in the U.S. and the very small number of people that go off a ship , compared to how many cruise in a year, pales in comparison so much that there is no comparison.
Keep thy feet on the deck and thy arse won't floppith over the rail!
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Admiral

According to another well known site, Carnival is by far in the lead with OB's. Carnival has had 5 this year. That is one a month. Just Carnival, NOT their other lines. RCI has not had one yet this year.

Last year Carnival 1, RCI 0

2007 was a big year with CCL 7 and RCI 1

2006 CCL has 5 and RCI 4.

Since the year 2000 there have been 114 people OB. 35 on Carnival, 17 on RCI and the rest scattered about the rest of the cruise lines. 25 of them were not among the major cruiselines. Mostly from Ferries. So of the major cruise lines with 89 since 2000, 35 or almost half were on Carnival. Is it the people or the ships??

Put in perspective to the number of ships and passengers that have cruised in these 10 years that is less than 10 a year. Compare to bridge jumpers, hotel jumpers, car wrecks and such and it is really not that many.

I will venture to say that most of not all were alcohol related.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This is a smart group. You all read the same media reports and figured out it was a suicide just based on the lack of more important details.

Such as... why did the parents only ask for privacy, if it was an accident they would have called for the FBI and an investigation.

I also think you are smart to intuit that there may have been some showing off here. I think a lot of the younger peiople who go OB actually think it is easily survivable.

But the truth is that a ship cannot slow down and turn around that fast. Even more important, with ANY kind of even vaguely rough seas with any whitecaps at all you cannot see a person out at sea. The tiniest winf can make whitecaps just a few inches high, but that is enough to make every single whitecap indistiguishable from a person trying the splash, wave and yell at a cruise ship.

The fact that so few jumpers are ever found is evidence of this.

What really irritates me is that the media does not provide MORE details. Then fewer people would jump, Like did they throw liferings? Could they see him in the water. If you saw someone fall you would remember every detail.

If you threw a lifering it would at least sort of mark where the kid was.

I am personally just so mad at the lazy, sensationalistic mainstream media these days I am steaming.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Plus within a day, because of the transatlantic current originating in the gulf means he would have either washed up on shore or been in the middle of the Atlantic, unless he was heavy enough the strong currents didn't sweep him away. Simple matter of buoyancy really.